Universal FINAL FANTASY VI - (by SQUARE ENIX INC)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Feb 5, 2014.

1. Flipangle

Flipangle Active Member

Apr 17, 2010
    Do you have iOS7? You've just scared me. I was going to buy the game and play it on my iPad Air.

2. Outrager

Outrager Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2012
    Anyone try it on their regular iPad mini? Wondering how it runs on that before getting it. A bunch of recent games (mostly 3D ones but I think there was a 2D one too) just crash so much I don't even bother playing them after buying it.

3. ednan

ednan Well-Known Member

Weird. I clocked 8 hours on my Mini Retina with no problem at all :confused:

4. Smurgendorf

Smurgendorf Active Member

Nov 29, 2012
    California
    How long before square sees the complaints of the graphics and decides to add an IAP Retro Graphics pack for $4.99?

5. curtisrshideler

curtisrshideler Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2011
    Male
    Video Producer/Editor
    Texas
    Never, unfortunately. I'd buy it in a heartbeat. But the graphics aren't as distracting as I thought they'd be. I love the ports of the old FF games and love pixel art. Dragon Fantasy made their game to look like a good NES game and then updated it with SNES graphics, AND you can switch between the two at any time! I'm sure Square-Enix could've done that, but it might've been more work than it's worth for them.

6. Smurgendorf

Smurgendorf Active Member

Nov 29, 2012
    California
    I think adding another $5 to the cost would be worth it for them to patch it in.

7. curtisrshideler

curtisrshideler Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2011
    Male
    Video Producer/Editor
    Texas
    I do too! But I just don't think they do. They haven't given us that option with any of the other Final Fantasy games, so I am just assuming that it's just not worth their time.

8. ojtitus

ojtitus Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2010
    Male
    Canton, Ohio
    You can't get an iPad Air or Mini with Retina without iOS7, it comes pre-installed.

9. Rudy

Rudy Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2009
    Canada
    I paid $99 for it back in the 90s

10. Nekku

Nekku Well-Known Member

May 31, 2013
    Ye, framerate is rly bad on my rMini (7.0.4), too. World map is super smooth but when i enter any location it's worse and therefore very hard to control my character.
    God, it's in 2D! *sigh*

11. Captive

Captive Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2011
    Its a smart game but its really choppy on ipad air,hopefully square will smooth it out.

12. sabin1981

sabin1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2012
    Engineer
    Norway
    Performance is okay here, on my pad2, but it could be better during combat. Overworld and towns/caves are fine, no slowdown or stuttering, but combat can slow down from time to time depending on the action - ice spells and Auto Crossbow can really lag. I'm also not a fan of the floating dpad and think it was a huge missed opportunity for iOS7 controller support.

Still, as ports go this is amazing! Gorgeous visuals (world, backdrop, battlers at least as the player/NPC sprites are terrible as already covered) and a great quality soundtrack with a lovely UI and all the extra GBA content. Well worth it :)

13. MinusZero

MinusZero Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2014
    Sprites aren't as bad as a lot of people make them out to be. I prefer the original in some ways. Had they been updated in the same style but given more depth it would have been better than the original, in my opinion.
    And yes to a bestiary. You can view any monster you encountered already.

I'd also like to point out that FF3 was just updated with widescreen support and support for an mfi controller. Not sure which one... Moga maybe? So I would assume support for mfi would be added to this in time.

I've still barely gotten into it but it runs pretty well on my 5th gen touch. I'll try on iPad4 to see how it runs though.

14. GregB

GregB Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2009
    And just think...if you bought Apple stock instead of the game...

Ok, that was mean. I lament sometimes over where I might be financially if those arcades hadn't bled me of every quarter I earned. But ya gotta live.

Just can't believe some of the prices we paid and even much higher in time adjusted dollars :-/

15. sabin1981

sabin1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2012
    Engineer
    Norway
    In my honest opinion, the sprites are terrible but that's mostly due to the lack of shadowing, the absolute facing perspective (as opposed to the originals which had a skewed perspective slant and more detail) and the brighter colours. It's a shame as the rest of the game has been redrawn wonderfully.

16. ScotDamn

ScotDamn Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jul 8, 2013
    Wireless Sales
    Happy Daddy
    #216 ScotDamn, Feb 7, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2014
    It's strange how the quality of performance varies so much across A7 devices. On my 5s 7.04 works perfectly. Initially it crashed when I first launched it, but hasn't happened since with no frame rate issues thus far. Hopefully soon they'll have an update to smooth performance across 64 bit devices.

17. Flipangle

Flipangle Active Member

Apr 17, 2010
    Thanks so much for the info!

18. Ramaz1234

Ramaz1234 Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2013
    #218 Ramaz1234, Feb 7, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2014
    Should I get this gaame

Edit: I just bought it , because it's a nice rainy day right now and all I wanna do I lay down in bed and play FFVI and be sad how I don't have a gf ^~^!

19. raijen

raijen Active Member

Apr 9, 2013
    Canada, Eh?
    #219 raijen, Feb 7, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2014
    Game Impressions

Some more impressions now that I'm in the third town (no spoilers). Played on an iphone 4 with ios 7.0.4

The overworked minimap that highlights the next story location as well as the ? In the top corner to say what the next story goal is located is a great idea for new players to the game. Curious to see how it works in the second half of the game when half of the fun was the exploration aspect. The fact that in battle "fast forward" button repeats the last command is nice. Makes it easy for one player to constantly steal while the other party members smack down the baddies much quicker and you can just turn it off to heal or for a boss. I've wasted some mp by forgetting to have the magic user do a basic attack instead of heal once or twice but that's more my forgetfulness than the ui. Perhaps a preset option in addition to a "repeat last command" option would be nice but it's not a game breaker.

The sprites are hit and miss. The portrait sprites seem to have been taken from the newer manuals as opposed to the original SFC/SNES Sprites. The overview sprites are... Hit an miss in my opinion. A few I like but personally I'd prefer the older ones. In fight graphics are nice but again I'm not liking two of my three party members sprites but that's more personal opinion. The enemies are nice looking.

Sound is beautiful. No complaints at all on that score and the fact that there's a full music track player from the options menu is nice, however some of the song titles are spoilery

As stated on my prior basic notes the game had some framerate issues on my iPhone 4 which were resolved by a full reboot. No ossues on my second session in the afternoon even after using my phone as usual during the day as normal (phone/mail/safari and music app) without a reboot. I've seen some people complain about the third characters arrow ability causing issues and while there was a bit of lag it want to the point if affected my enjoyment. No crashes or lockup say all

Yes there are GC achievements for those who care (and I'll admit to that personally). Cloud save is there and seems to be implemented in a good way. Personally can't test this as I've only got one ios device but I've heard stories about having Dave games overwritten in other games with older cloud saves and I've experienced this in Steam on PC Myself so a manual cloud save/load is good IMHO.

Overall an excellent port in my opinion and worth the money.

20. neonbible

neonbible Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2011
    Just looked at the screenshots and the new sprites and UI graphics look really bad!

Don't think it will stop me from playing it but still. Gonna wait for the price to drop as in no hurry. Glad to know the music sounds good though.