Universal FINAL FANTASY VI - (by SQUARE ENIX INC)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Feb 5, 2014.

1. HungarianUrinalCakes

HungarianUrinalCakes Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2012
    Saskatchewan, Canada
    No, the storylines are completely independent of each other. Only certain FF games have true sequels (FFIV TAY being the only one on ios). Start with FFVI. Every (ios) game will be downhill from it, but hopefully you'll grow an appreciation for the older, more "primitive" games.

2. raijen

raijen Active Member

Apr 9, 2013
    Canada, Eh?
    For the person asking about iPhone 4 performance...

Finished Narshe and on the world map. Some frame rate and stuttering issues at first bit resolved by doing a fresh boot and only launching the game. No crashes (albeit nowhere near any complex scenes yet)

I think the new ui is good for touch, but as others have stated I also prefer the 4 direction controls

Seeing as I recently spent an obscene amount of money on a SNES FF3 cart $15 seems like a steal. Ignore the fact that this is my fourth version of the same game (SNES, PSX, GBA and now IOS)

3. Press2Play

Press2Play Well-Known Member

Mar 28, 2012
    Bussinessman
    Philippines
    First final fantasy ive played and finish at first i didnt even know that ff is that popular, i think on my 20's now im 32 and playing it again on my iphone.

4. curtisrshideler

curtisrshideler Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2011
    Male
    Video Producer/Editor
    Texas
    Yeah, so far it is right up there with FF IX for me. That was my first FF game and I absolutely love the art style. I've also played almost all the early ports and a couple later titles. But the music in this one is amazing. Right there with IX. Just bought the original soundtrack and the orchestrated album as well!

5. Darkenroll

Darkenroll Active Member

Oct 10, 2013
    Does anyone know whether they cut the scene where the guard is punching Celes and calling her a traitor before Locke shows up in this version too? I know they cut it from the Gba version to be able to sell to a younger audience. It's not really a big deal, but it was the first time you meet Celes and it influenced how I felt about her and the Empire, so it was weird seeing it missing.

6. curtisrshideler

curtisrshideler Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2011
    Male
    Video Producer/Editor
    Texas
    Yeah, it's kind of hard hearing people whine about paying $16 or whatever for this updated classic when it was originally released in the US as an SNES cart for at least $80. That's expensive for some console games even now! So, we're getting way more for only 20% of the original cost!

7. Deixa

Deixa Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2012
    Why are the icons square?

8. raijen

raijen Active Member

Apr 9, 2013
    Canada, Eh?
    Yeah. I've still got my original copy (used from a video store) that was $25 (sticker still on the box) -- and I thought it worthwhile back then. I'm just happy it's not like the bastardization of a tales game that came bout recently for ios...

9. sabin1981

sabin1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2012
    Engineer
    Norway
    #189 sabin1981, Feb 6, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2014
    No, sorry, according to Android users the scene is censored here too :(

I got FFII and FFIII (US naming) on my SNES back during launch for $70 each imported :D

10. NinjaKitteh

NinjaKitteh Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2013

11. Xexist

Xexist Well-Known Member

May 6, 2010
    Canada
    Copy and paste this next time ----> ∞

Youre welcome.

12. Locanis

Locanis Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2011
    U.S.A.
    It crashed back to springboard 3 or 4 times in a row trying to open it the first time for me too. However, it hasn't done it again like that on subsequent loads after. Maybe it's just during the first load that it's awkward starting up? Or initializing some files in the background, like save allocation etc.

Who knows, but it's loaded fine ever since, so I don't think it is a worry point just yet.

13. Pagan Fox

Pagan Fox Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2012
    Bought it after seeing the previous comments on this thread, and no regrets so far.
    My all time favourite is and always will be FFVII but this looks like it could give that legendary game a run for its money.
    No crashes, runs smoothly on my Ipad 3.

14. Locanis

Apr 17, 2011
    U.S.A.
    I personally feel it is worth the value, but as stated everyone is able to make their own decision. However, after that horrible childhood desecration of a game port called Tales of Phantasia, which has been free-to-play monetized and given the horrible online-only treatment, I would GLADLY pay a fixed premium price than see that happen to Final Fantasy VI.

Let's face it, while it doesn't work for every dev, SquareEnix must obviously feel the premium price point is working for them with these ports and updates. I thank them for going that route over monetizing the classics in a horrible manner.

15. Flipangle

Flipangle Active Member

Apr 17, 2010
    Just like many people in this forum, FFVI is my favorite RPG and one of my favorite games of all time! I've played about 4 or 5 times on SNES, DS, and PPC via emulator. Nonetheless, I'm still worried about the port. For those that have bought and played the game, are the sprites as ugly as some of the reviews have led me to believe? Other than the smoothed-over sprites, are there any other "problems" with the games graphics or gameplay? Also, did they implement a encypclopedia or glossary of all the creatures in the game? I can't remember which remake it was, but I seem to remember one of the FF iOS ports having this feature. Thanks!!!!

16. pouffie

pouffie Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2013
    Meh, IOS 7 only? Won't be able to play it for another 2 years until I get a new ipad...

17. Locanis

Apr 17, 2011
    U.S.A.
    #197 Locanis, Feb 6, 2014
    [Deleted]

18. Sakuranbo

Sakuranbo Member

Jan 26, 2009
    I'm playing this on both my iPhone 5, and my iPad Mini Retina. On the former it runs great, at 60fps no less, but on my iPad Mini Retina, it barely runs at all. It crashes back to springboard many times when I try to load it, and when it finally runs, the frame rate is in single figures. It's an unplayable mess.

19. ScotDamn

ScotDamn Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jul 8, 2013
    Wireless Sales
    Happy Daddy
    #199 ScotDamn, Feb 6, 2014
    This is an amazing port. I really like the way the did the timed attacks. Much easier than keeping an eye on a bar filling up. To me, this is easily worth the price. The amount and quality game you get dwarfs nearly every other iOS game.

iPhone 5s:
    I will say upon launching the game, it took two or three attempts for it to actually launch. It would crash immediately after launching, but after that, it's worked perfectly. No frame rate issues at all.

20. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Runs crappy on my iPad air too, really weird.