Universal FINAL FANTASY V - (by SQUARE ENIX)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Mar 27, 2013.

1. chaos_envoys

chaos_envoys Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2011
    Medical Doctor
    Pokke Village, Indonesia
    I agree with you ausar.. If the sprite was like that, it'll be an instabuy! For now I'm just sticking with the GBA version.. Liking the sprite more at the GBA ver..

2. #82 TJF588, Mar 28, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2013
    Yeesh, looking at the App Store screenshots, the character sprites look so flat and stiff. If you're gonna add fidelity, you've got to add detail. But seeing Bartz standing there in town, it's like he's got a stick straight up his butz. The pixelated, squattish sprites from yonder gave more wiggle room for interpreting posture.

Definitely agree that the FFI, FFII, and FFIV Complete sprite style should have been used. I guess holding off won't hurt so bad. But I swear, SQEX, if you add such respectable sprites as IAP...!

FFIII is completely different from its Famicon original. Because of the limitations at time of development, the monster count was cut down, with individual monsters beefed up to compensate. Job balance was overhauled as well -- in the original, there's no reason not to swap to Ninja and Magus once they're available. And I wanna say some classes' abilities were flat-out changed, too, but it's been a while since I've tried keeping tally.

EDIT:
    Watched most of the initial Bartz-Lenna-Galuf scene (an iPad recording seen on my cracked iPod), and the sprites aren't too bad. They're still awkward. What gets me are the straight-down arms, which further draw attention to the inverted-pyramid proportions, like scrawny Johnny Bravos. Also, "Bartz, What about you?"

Booted up my GBA copy (EU import, baby!), and I'm reminded of another point: these huge character portraits are very intrusive on tone. Kept reading Lenna as very posh. The GBA portraits even look better besides, what can be compared, and effortlessly ignored, should one want. King Tycoon looks a tad less silly than his towering iOS variant, and I'm still confused by what Faris is meant to be wearing in iOS (Galuf's new cape is now, too, under scrutiny). Dunno if Boko's stride is worse than his hyperactive skitter. Anyway, whole point of booting up FFVA: That weird capitalization's there, too.

@Square Enix - If Nintendo ever starts releasing GBA games to the Virtual Console, please release the European versions of FFIV-VI. Same English script, added languages, and bug fixes (though FFIV is merely hobbled rather than severely crippled, in either case).

3. iPadisGreat

iPadisGreat Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Final Fantasy V is out. Anybody got it? Difficulty level adjusted? Is it easy or difficult?

4. Onikage725

Onikage725 Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2011
    I think that's a fair point, but I don't see it as a deal breaker. Maybe it helps if you look at the development history. You mention FF 1, 2, and 4 Complete. Those are all PSP titles (the iOS versions are ports of the PSP Anniversary releases). V never made it into that particular project. We could argue if they "could" adapt that engine fresh for iOS, but my point is that coding for one platform or coding for another and then porting are NOT the same thing. I haven't bought this yet, so I don't know how the ENGINE is, but I wouldn't be surprised if they borrow somewhat from Dimensions. Personally, I like Dimensions a lot, with some complaints about dungeon design (obviously, FFV wouldn't have that issue).

They also may see these sprites as an evolution of their PSP work (mileage may vary on preference, but it is along similar lines lets admit). It may even be a financial thing. Whatever assets or artist they used for 1,2,4, and After Years may be out of the picture and whoever did Dimensions may hold the current role of sprite design for their portable/mobile ventures. I'm speculating, but maybe Sony holds some rights still after the FFIV Complete collection, leading to their focus shift. As FFV was not remade elsewhere, short of a straight port like Chrono Trigger, borrowing assets from Dimensions (made FOR mobile) was probably the safest bet.

Also keep in mind, Squenix is soon going to post losses of over $100 million. Their CEO is resigning. The reason is supposedly due to low software sales on consoles, and the costs of restructuring their studies. Translation- we weren't going to get a full-conversion 3D remake of one of the more obscure SNES titles. They just can't afford it. When I say obscure, it isn't that no one likes V. But in Japan IV is a legend (regarded the way Westerners regard VII), and VI is the feather in the SNES cap. V is the awkward middle child.

5. Blizzard500

Blizzard500 Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2010
    I'm about an hour in and it's fairly easy. Sprites do look sharper but appear flat. Is there a way to access the overworld map at all? I can't seem to find it....

6. Aventador

Aventador Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2013
    Student
    Croatia
    Have you come to graveyard of ships part in game ?
    You have to pick map there ( it is a shiny object on floor can't miss it ) and once you acquire it, it is displayed in upper left corner.

7. Dubstep

Dubstep Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2011
    People are seriously complaining over sprites? Lol you guys need something better to do...this game is awesome and graphics are beautiful.

8. Blizzard500

Blizzard500 Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2010
    Oh thanks! Not quite there yet. I just beat the wind shrine.

9. RPG Geek

RPG Geek Member

Jul 24, 2012
    #89 RPG Geek, Mar 28, 2013
    Loved the job system in Dimensions so picked this up.

Unfortunately when Bartz has dialog, it shows a woman's face for his lines!!! Very weird. Anyone else having this issue? i tried rebooting so not sure what else to try...

Update: Nevermind, I see that he is evidently a woman according to the artist...

10. Trunks252

Trunks252 Member

Mar 28, 2013
    I honestly don't understand why some of you are complaining about the visuals. I was impressed by all the work they did to remake this one for iOS.

11. ItouchBrett

ItouchBrett Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2008
    9 pages in and still people combining about sprites? Really? I swear I thought Gamefaq users were less cumbersome... Alas..... Bought. FFV has an amazing story.

12. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    +1; iOS is very lucky to get ports of quality hallmark NES/SNES era JRPGs wooden graphics or no.

13. mkdms14

mkdms14 Active Member

Feb 14, 2013
    I read a review somewhere that you can't have more than one saved game and to start and save another you would have to use real money. Is that true or is that a bunch of hog wash? Square wouldn't be that desperate would they?

Link is here: Second paragraph from the end about half way through.
    http://www.dotmmo.com/final-fantasy-v-17823.html

14. Bloko

Bloko Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2012
    It's quite the opposite, actually. People don't wanna see their childhood classics being poorly-handled like this, that's all.
    It's quite a pain to see those beautiful old sprites become this ugly cartoony mess, y'know.

15. Aventador

Jan 16, 2013
    Student
    Croatia
    Game has 15 save slots , dunno who can publish so much bullshi* that you need to pay for save slots.

16. Lucavious

Lucavious Active Member

Mar 6, 2013
    This looks like someone used RPG Maker to recreate Final Fantasy V. It doesn't even seem to have gotten the same translation love that Final Fantasy IV got. Unless there's new dungeons or something, this actually appears to have been downgraded from the original in terms of quality.

17. #97 TJF588, Mar 28, 2013
    All these pages in, and we still have people complaining that others have issue with art assets that will be in the players face for nearly the entire game.

...And one guy confused by Amano-based androgyny.

In all seriousness, if the new sprites had some (better?) shadowing and the portrait pieces weren't so overwhelming, I could get past this shift from the GBA version.

The text is lifted directly from FINAL FANTASY V ADVANCE, which I assure you is better than the only other official translation, from the relatively shoddy PlayStation port. Haven't bothered to compare FFIV 3D's translation to its GBA or PSP versions, though I'd think the 2D ones are closer to each other, the latter cueing from the 3D's terminology ("archfiend" instead of "elemental lord").

18. TurboRuhland

TurboRuhland Member

Jun 22, 2012
    I dunno if I'm so much complaining about the sprites as commenting on the fact that I don't so much go for the style.

For me the style isn't worth 15.99 but I may look for it on sale. The game is so good that I don't want to pass it up, but I do wish the style was a little more to my liking.

19. Aventador

Jan 16, 2013
    Student
    Croatia
    I can already see a thread full of crying and rage when they release FF VI with sprites like this :rolleyes:

20. Montanx

Montanx Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2012
    San Diego
    The thing is, ff6 graphics were damn good for the time and they prob wont need to improve them much. Maybe a remastering would be good, but yea if they change the art style it will be a blow for alot of people.

No matter to me since I already beat ff6 on my iphone a few months ago using an snes emulator.:D