Universal FINAL FANTASY V - (by SQUARE ENIX)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Mar 27, 2013.

1. Gryphon

Gryphon Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2012
    is it out worldwide yet?

2. diaskeaus

diaskeaus Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2013
    What happened to the artists Square used on FF1 and FF2? This feels like a guilt release. Even the portraits do not match with the walking sprites. A RPG Maker fan could have done a better job.

I might buy this if it the price resembled the first two releases, but unless changes are made, why spend $15 on a game with this quality when I could just enjoy the excellence of the FF4 remake?

3. Onikage725

Onikage725 Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2011
    A matter of perspective, I suppose. I, for one, once spent about the same amount on FFV on GBA as on the remake of IV on DS. Both of these are a steal at this price. The best alternative one could hope for is PSN, which would be the PSX version at likely $10. I guess the sprites are a matter of personal preference, but I'm ok with them. The bonus content (and no slowdown) makes it worth the extra cash than what I would expect on my Vita if it was released to there.

4. lockecole7

lockecole7 Well-Known Member

Jan 26, 2013
    Are you guys who are complaining about the graphic style actually playing and own the game? Or just going by the screens. Seems everyone who owns it says it looks good.

5. Gryphon

Feb 24, 2012
    When will it be out in Canada? I got a 25 dollar iTunes card for the Canadian store.

6. Nobunaga

Nobunaga Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2012
    It's out in Canada now.
    Click on any square game. Click on developer info. Scroll to the bottom of the list.

7. Gryphon

Feb 24, 2012
    Thanks, Downloading now!

8. Ausar

Ausar Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2012
    BCN
    By the screens you can tell pretty much and most of the complains come from the sprites use in the game i think i can say for sure many people were expecting something like this

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is FFIV on the psp and FFI and FFII on the iphone look like this, right now this FFV looks like a reskined FFD even the Pictures of every character doesnt match with his sprite

9. RelientKSoCal

RelientKSoCal Member

Mar 21, 2013
    I think VI is a shoe-in, but I'm not so sure we'll get FF VII on iOS any time soon. Yeah, FF III and IV are "3D," but that is not the same as the 3D graphics of FF VII. Keep in mind the iOS version of III and IV were both released on the Nintendo DS (a portable device) originally, and as far as I know, SE never released VII on a portable device. It is a full console quality game, so I'd be a little surprised if SE did a complete port of VII to iOS without some major tweaks.

10. lockecole7

lockecole7 Well-Known Member

Jan 26, 2013
    It's a different game, why do you expect the same style? It was definitely more of a Japanese style game, hence why it never hit the US the first time around.

It even states on the description that the veteran game designer redid the graphics so they looked less "spritey" on a hidef mobile device.

11. TurboRuhland

TurboRuhland Member

Jun 22, 2012
    I'm not a fan o the dimensions style sprites. Based on the screenshots I dunno it just looks... I dunno, not for me.

I didn't really like the sprites of Dimensions when I played the free version, but lord knows I'll end up buyin this because I'm a sucker and I love FFV.

12. Ausar

Ausar Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2012
    BCN
    The reason i expected to be more "japanese" style is because is a japanese game that's imho what make it looks good, this FFV just looks like a quick thing done with rpg maker all characters like almost same nothing stants up

Now maybe i get something wrong but this FFIV complete collection it did hit the US and even europe and since the two FF games of FF in ios were the psp port i was looking to be more like that

I'm pretty sure that they make it less "spritey" so they have to work less and still charge the same that my opinion though

13. mkdms14

mkdms14 Active Member

Feb 14, 2013
    I wouldn't say no to Final Fantasy VII just yet. First of all Square Enix just recently re-released Final Fantasy VII on the pc. There also has been a great number of older pc games being ported to the ipad. I could see them porting Final Fantasy VII to the ipad some day. If they did be prepared to pay $79.99 for the game along with $300 of in app purchases.

14. mkdms14

mkdms14 Active Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Can anyone who has purchased Final Fantasy V comment on the controls. How does it compare to the other ones square has released? I only ask because I purchased Chrono Trigger for the iphone and found the controls to be a bit hard to control.

15. sapphire_neo

sapphire_neo Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2011
    The sheer lack of appreciation for the classics in this thread is staggering...

16. SeoulSick

SeoulSick Member

Sep 25, 2011
    #76 SeoulSick, Mar 28, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2013
    It's like Chrono Trigger in that the d-pad is 360 degrees. You'll get stuck sometimes. I personally think it's easier to move around than in Chrono Trigger iOS but they should've just kept it at the original d-pad movement (up,down,left,right).

At first I thought it was useful since you can move diagonally to get around faster but that's only on the world map. In dungeons I got stuck a couple times. Not a big issue though as I got used to it pretty quick but like I said they should've kept the standard d-pad movement. Of course it's not a reason to not buy it if you're a fan or have wanted to play this game like I have.

17. Aventador

Aventador Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2013
    Student
    Croatia
    Once FFVI is out you will see how many people will make excuses just to buy it no matter price and if it's 3D or 2D.Obviosly this game isn't VI so people must moan about price and sprites.

18. mkdms14

mkdms14 Active Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Thanks for the response. I just purchased the game and I have to agree with you its a lot better than the controls of Chrono Trigger. Not perfect by any means but more do able. Although I have only been playing it for about 20 minutes I think the game is great. Don't know why everyone is complaining about the graphics. To me the graphics look fine, nothing revolutionary but fine. I just can't wait for VI which is my personal favorite.

19. goggles

goggles Active Member

Mar 28, 2013
    I have to agree with the many comments about the character sprites. They actually look very out of place and out of character (lol) in the game. Even in the beginning scene with the king and his daughter I paused and was looking at the character vs. the dragon. The dragon had the shadow and that simple detail made it look like it was "sitting" on the castle. However, the other characters that had no shadows just didn't look right, like they were pinned to the background. If they release FF6, I really hope they don't go this direction with the art style, because I will pass it up. Man, what a drag. I was so excited to grab this one, but the character sprites look like trash.

20. mkdms14

mkdms14 Active Member

Feb 14, 2013
    #80 mkdms14, Mar 28, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2013
    I think that part of the reason that it is not a big deal to me has to do with the fact that I have never played Final Fantasy V before so for me I can't really judge it, however I hope they don't do this to Final Fantasy VI.