Universal FINAL FANTASY V - (by SQUARE ENIX)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Mar 27, 2013.

1. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    KEFKA is FF6. Everyone else was "that guy".

2. ojtitus

ojtitus Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2010
    Male
    Canton, Ohio
    This is my personal favorite of the FF series, I really enjoy the job system. I'm going to pick this up tonight, I just don't think I'll play it for a couple weeks since I'm spending most my time with SW: Black Dawn.

3. Ausar

Ausar Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2012
    BCN
    i'm with you like i said i was expecting something like the psp FFIV or even FFI and FFII like the ones in the appstore now those sprites do look nice

This FFD graphics looks like some crappy thing make with rpg maker without any effort, if square does FFVI i actually would like more now a 3D one instead of this but if they didn't do a good sprites i dont think they would do a 3D one just for ios

4. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Damn these graphic style. They shouldve stuck with the original artwork as that was oozing with high quality pixel sprite work.

Nonetheless, bought.

5. Taeles

Taeles Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Aug 5, 2011
    Gamecenter Achievements?

6. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    I'm downloading it right now but I hope some Japanese fans make proper complaints about the art style to the company. I don't want FF6 looking like this too. But I'm all in for playing these newer FF games so I'll still be playing them. I'd actually prefer if all the sprites look like Amano's artwork like in the portraits than this FFD stuff. Sigh... I hope I don't feel like I'm playing something in RPG maker which is what the screenshots look like.

I hope the jobs and the story are at least fun. I know Tactics had a complex job system that you really could screw up just by wasting time or points into something. FF3 was quite simpler. Which one does it lean toward?

7. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Towards FF3. Thing about FF5 (from SNES experience) is that you can eventually max everyone with all classes, so in the end, there arent bad builds.

8. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Thanks for the reply. I guess that puts me more at ease to experiment. FFT made me go crazy if my characters died and I had to restart those 30-1 hour long battles to re-get all my points..

9. memyselfnoone

memyselfnoone Active Member

Feb 26, 2013
    The game looks fairly standard... Just stating, I'm in the UK so I probably will check up later on ( and buy the game naturally)
    But as the graphics level of some of the other rpg element games on the store are way above, I can't help but feel these are simply tweaked ports of the originals ..

They do hold strength in quality of story, which has always been the saving grace of FF to me, but when you've got FF9 , or FF7, they pale in comparison( when you can pick up second hand copies and consoles for little more than the app cost as is)

Ill just wait and see....

10. Brrobotix

Brrobotix Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Under your bed
    Was considering this but after seeing it in action, the sprites look really poor. FF3 was leagues above this. Granted I don't seem to have the nostalgia everyone else does, but I'm not paying $16 for this when I can pay around that to get TWEWY or something with similar production values

11. Hambo12

Hambo12 Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2012
    on the internet
    looks great, prefer 2D over 3D anyways ^.^ can't wait for final fantasy 6 and 7...... and eventually ff13

12. shero89

shero89 Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2012
    Yeah can't wait for more FF13 games :rolleyes:

13. soldat7

soldat7 Well-Known Member

Jul 12, 2011
    2D is the way to go, but not horrifically remade 2D.

14. chapel07

chapel07 Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2012
    i think they should just use the original sprite, now it's like a re-skinned FFD..this should be called final fantasy 5: dimensions..LOL

15. Hiraether

Hiraether Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2012
    #55 Hiraether, Mar 27, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2013
    White Wind

Blue Mage (=^ェ^=)
    Dimensions is essentially the spiritual successor to 5 in many ways; if you like one you will most likely enjoy the other. I find 5 to be much more difficult thus far, but I'm only 26 hours into dimensions.
    If you want a real challenge, go around the world collecting blue magic in 5. I played Final Fantasy XI Blue Mage to 75 soloing most of my spells and then played 5, so it was like reverse nostalgia, but amazing none the less. This game can easily get to 50+ hours if you want to see everything & get every spell. Also, if you ever intend to play FFXi, this game is a good brief overview of the Months (years) it will take to get the 100+ Blue Spells. Hardcore gamers only.

Despite ALl this, I will buy it for one very good reason over my playstation version: sound options. love FFV, but the menu noises are unbearable, totally ruining a beautiful soundtrack. It's the only Final I don't enjoy the interface sound on. Other than that, truly an underrated FinalFantasy that deserves more credit (like 2 & 3) for fundementally changing all Finals after it, making them a little more blu.

16. Snacks48

Snacks48 Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2011
    I'm going insane, 3 1/2 hours###.

17. VaudooG33k

VaudooG33k Active Member

Sep 3, 2010
    Quebec/Canada
    This is one of my favorite FF! I played this game a lot on emulation. The reason I like this game is because of the jobs customisation.

18. operaguy2112

operaguy2112 Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2011
    I have to agree that this looks ugly. I would have been happy with the original art just polished a little, or the style of 1 & 2 on iOS. A 3d version like 3&4 would have been better though. I'll probably pick this up when it goes on sale though.

19. Luseferous

Luseferous New Member

Aug 28, 2012
    #59 Luseferous, Mar 28, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2013
    I'll second that, I picked up IV in the sale recently and the 3D look is causing me to not enjoy it as much as I did the GBA version. They changed the dialogue too and made it a lot worse.

The redrawn 2D look they've used for this iOS version of V looks great in my opinion, this could be the definitive version of the game.

20. Rudy

Rudy Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2009
    Canada
    Glad to see they decided to do it in 2D, but it's a shame the quality is down a bit from the 2D remakes we got for 1,2 and 4. I was disappointed that we got the 3D remake for 4 (but i still played it...)