iPhone Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions - (by Square Enix)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Echoseven, Feb 22, 2012.

1. BazookaTime

BazookaTime Well-Known Member

I really need to grab this, that price is fantastic. I have to read up on which to get ipad or iphone.

2. soup

soup Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2009
    admit i'm tending more to the iphone version.
    Can then play on both, and i suspect i can live with 2x

......minor rant - i absolutely hate companies without universal, if they want to do it they should at least have an iphone version at 2$ and then a universal version for 4$ so that at least people would have the choice

3. Appletini

Appletini Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2011
    Ankh-Morpork
    If you're going to play primarily on your iPad, get the iPad version. If you're going to play on both, get the iPhone version. If money's not a concern, get both. ^_^

4. Skinypupy

Skinypupy Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2010
    I've purchased this game for the PS1, the PSP, the iPhone, and now I'm seriously considering purchasing it again, this time for the iPad enhancements. I've beaten it twice, and got about halfway through another two times.

I seriously think I need a FF Tactics support group...

5. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Don't feel bad - I think there's quite a few of us here that are in the same boat (have all the versions of FFT).

I just can't wait until I get a newer iPad so that I can see the retina assets on the bigger screen. =oD

6. retrogamer83

retrogamer83 Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2011
    United Kingdom
    Anyone played the new version on an iPad mini? How is it?

7. CoreyB

CoreyB Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2011
    Aircraft Mechanic
    Chicago, IL
    Overall nice update. IMO, this game still doesn't age well. I'm an old gamer, 33, my wife reminds me all the time. So I enjoy older games, but this game still feels too slow to play. It just takes so many taps to anything I'm having trouble enjoying the game. Again these are just my thoughts, at its core this is a classic, and the update really improved the game overall. I'm just too use to modern games in this genre and have a hard time enjoying this.

8. Emos

Emos Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2009
    I feel the same way, FFT is an absolutely fantastic game (one of the best TBS games of all time) marred by a clunky interface. After playing turn based games built from the ground up for a touchscreen (Battle Academy, Ravenmark, Wahmmer, ect) I've grown too spoiled from the spin to rotate, pinch to zoom and all that! Each time I fire FFT up I just tend to get annoyed with the interface. However I don't have the heart to delete it from my iPad because its that great of a game and I keep saying I'll still play it come hell or high water!

9. kurtalb1

kurtalb1 Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2013
    Michigan
    You think you're an "old" gamer? I'm 51, so that must make me an ancient gamer!

Loved FFT on the PS1 and I still have the console, but somehow lost the game in my divorce, haha. I may have to grab the iPad version while the price is lower and then after I'm burned out on Warhammer Quest I'll give it some time (unless I go for KOTOR). Decisions, decisions!

10. andsoitgoes

andsoitgoes Well-Known Member

I'm a few years older than you and I couldn't disagree more.

Sure the menu systems aren't as streamlined as newer games, but the depth if the game is absolutely amazing. The production value, the graphics, the characters and the design... Nothing comes close.

Is it perfect? No. But playing this and playing other similar games shows me that all these things take second place to all the things it does right and better.

11. Appletini

Appletini Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2011
    Ankh-Morpork
    Certainly the people bemoaning the lightweightedness of Warhammer Quest might want to give this a spin.

12. andsoitgoes

Yep! (Though those people are dead to me. That game is just so much fun. My weird issue is that I almost don't want to play it because I don't want it to end. Yeah, I'm dumb)

What I love with this is that even though it is more complex and there's so much more to it, I STILL can enjoy it and it's playable for a strategy idiot like me.

Can you imagine online co-op play?!?

I'd die.

Appletini - are we GC friends? We should play some board games so I can get my rear handed to me

13. Gilgilad

Gilgilad Well-Known Member

May 15, 2013
    I was thinking about snagging this for iPad while it is on sale. I played it on the original PS1 and since that was 13+ years ago I can't remember the story anymore except that I remember it was good. Playing it again will be like playing it again for the first time lol. One thing I do remember being disappointed with the original is that it was very short and very easy compared to Ogre Tactics which I had already played. Is the new content in the War of the Lions version add any significant length to the game?

14. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Holy crap! Just found out that it now has iCloud support!

I guess i have found a reason to start over, but now be able to continue where i left off between devices or if i had to delete the game for space.

Can anyone confirm the icloud works fine?

15. andsoitgoes

It doesn't work on the iPhone and apparently there is a fix on the way, but as Appletini pointed out, Squeenix isn't quick at fixing problems.

I am wondering what this looks like on the iPhone 5. I have FullForce which allows me to force it to one end or the other or stretch it, but I, not sure how it will look.

16. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2008
    Freelance Entertainment Analyst
    Orlando, FL
    The screenshots on the homepage are of the iPhone version, why not save it and stretch the image to see how it will react?

17. fighthefoo

fighthefoo Member

Nov 12, 2012
    I bought this for iPad and while it came with iCloud support, there definitely are NOT retina graphics. Is anyone else having this issue?

18. andsoitgoes

?

Nope. Not at all. My game is so crisp I want to cry.

19. fighthefoo

fighthefoo Member

Nov 12, 2012
    It's so weird...I can see the menu items (where it says Menu, Cancel, OK) in retina. It was iCloud. But; again, the game graphics are definitely not updated. I have an iPad 2, but I can't imagine it would be different for that version...?

20. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    iPad 2 does not have retina display