iPhone Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions - (by Square Enix)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Echoseven, Feb 22, 2012.

1. andsoitgoes

andsoitgoes Well-Known Member

Yeah I am swooning at this thing. It's stunning.

And while I don't get, enjoy or like most tactic kind of games, FFT has always been enjoyable for me.

I remember playing on my old GBA going to and from work. And missing my stop. A lot. And then hiding my GBA away on my desk so I could sneak in some play ;)

God this game is stunning.

Seriously, what more do I need? How could I dare ask for more?

2. Alister

Alister Well-Known Member

Jul 1, 2012
    Philippines
    It's my pleasure :)...Im just overjoyed with the things they did for the game,as I am a die hard fan...

My final wish is they implement the co-op feature which is available on the PSP,but regardless I'm a very happy gamer right now..

3. TeflonDonbot

TeflonDonbot Member

Feb 10, 2013
    Can anyone confirm that this update has fixed the notorous crashes in this game?

4. Appletini

Appletini Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2011
    Ankh-Morpork
    It's probably far too soon to be able to confirm that with 100% certainty, but the update info does include this comment:

■Improved Draw Speeds
    The graphic drawing processes have been optimized for mobile devices. Say goodbye to choppy motion and crash bugs, and play with the quickest, smoothest abilities effects and animations to date!

5. TeflonDonbot

TeflonDonbot Member

Feb 10, 2013
    Sounds like I'm going to have to take the chance. I've been holding back from buying this game for too long!! Thanks for the info. My team of monks will be punching through walls in no time!

6. Lost_Deputy

Lost_Deputy Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Venue Manager
    Sydney
    Hmmm I haven't seen any updates of this quality from SE across their catalogue. I wonder if they are gonna start showing ios a little more love

7. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2008
    Freelance Entertainment Analyst
    Orlando, FL
    It's tough to say, I remember getting a press release around the release of FF1 and 2 (maybe before) saying that they were going to treat iOS like a proper console... At least 3 years later and we finally get a proper universal build of an SE title (FF4)

FFT was released with the promise of retina graphics... A little over 2 years later we finally get them. I'd love to say it's a huge swing and SE are getting on the right track, but I can't. Honestly, I think it's their way of getting their AppStore ranking out of the toilet by following through on an update that not only resets their ranking but insures tons of 5 star reviews.

8. Bool Zero

Bool Zero Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2010
    #68 Bool Zero, Jun 5, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2013
    I agree!^

The long awaited patch on top of a half off price and they are guaranteed a high rating review now, but for the early adaptor this has been a long time coming and a lot of writing this update off as probably never happening at all and even feeling slighted. I wouldn't say this will improve SE's standing as they have a made quite a few errors and questionable releases in recent, so we can at least say they are keeping their long made promise and perhaps trying to turn things around... But I for one am not totally optimistic on the outlook regardless...

9. Alister

Jul 1, 2012
    Philippines
    Well I happen to come across this article on PG..It seems Square/Enix is going to be more serious on the platform..

http://www.pocketgamer.biz/r/PG.Biz/Square+Enix+financial+news/news.asp?c=51159

10. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator

Jul 19, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    Again, they've said they were going to be serious many years ago and failed to produce. All that article says is that they made a ton of money yet still posted a loss. Their solution is to port games, convert IP's to social (like the mobage games), and working on new IP's that have secondary revenue streams (DLC, F2P, etc.)

That's the same strategy they've been doing since the AppStore opened, they're just doubling down on it.

11. Alister

Jul 1, 2012
    Philippines
    You might be right..But let's just hope for the better eh..;)

12. zergslayer69

zergslayer69 Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2010
    I remember trying to play this game before and quit not because of bugs and crashes,but in the second or third mission, when I died, I would reload the save just to end up at an auto save right before I would die again in another turn. So it was like I was perm stuck on dying and would have to restart fresh.

13. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

If anyone's able to take some before and after screenshots of the graphics BEFORE the update and (hopefully the same screen) AFTER the update I'll repay you in something good. I hit update all like a dummy and really need a before/after for a front page post.

14. cprloe

cprloe Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2009
    Katy, Texas USA
    I had this on the DS and loved it. Any advice on choosing between the iPhone or iPad version?

15. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator

Jul 19, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    Eli! Check the iPhone thread. L.Lawliet took some screenshots and one set is of the same screen. I'm fairly sure it was on the last or second to last page.

16. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Fantastic, thanks.

17. roninld

roninld Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2011
    So, if I have the iPhone version, is this one worth picking up to play on the iPad? I read that this was just like a 2x version of the iPhone app before this update.

And does the iCloud saves work between iPhone and iPad?

Thanks

18. witedahlia

witedahlia Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2012
    I would like to know the answer to this as well. I don't want to buy it twice and I'm leaning towards the iPad version. Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

19. Appletini

Appletini Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2011
    Ankh-Morpork
    The iPad-native version looks and plays better on the iPad than the iPhone version in 2x mode, naturally, but if you already have the iPhone version and plan to play on both devices, you may as well stick with that one.

20. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator

Jul 19, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    I'm using the iPhone at 2x and I think the game looks great... though I wasn't complaining about the old graphics either. Plus you pay one price to get it working on both devices.

ICloud syncs your save slots but not your auto saves, those stay on the device. So the app won't sync and waste resources every time you close it but rather it should be syncing whenever you do a proper save.