Final Fantasy Tactics: The War of Lions [Releasing on 04/August for $15.99]

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by squarezero, Jun 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beto_Machado

Beto_Machado Well-Known Member

Not necessarily. Udon managed to make the animation and anatomy worse in their HD remake of Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo (and that was with tracing, even).

2. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    I think the operative phrase in my post was if done well. If it's done poorly, then clearly it would not be an improvement.

3. Canuck

Canuck Well-Known Member

Dec 22, 2008
    One week now!

4. lepeos

lepeos Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2010
    I'm not talking 3D with horrible voiceacting and a Dyluck dating mini game, I guess what I want is updated sprites, and update to how the multiplayer works, an leading on from this, to slightly tweak the magic.

What I really want is for them to re-make the game from scratch and add in all the missing dialogue they had to cut moving it from a cd to a snes cartridge. But that's not happening eh?

I guess FFT must be a good example of a remake done well, no-one seems to be really crying for the PSX version.

5. ojtitus

ojtitus Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2010
    Male
    Canton, Ohio
    5 more days and I can play one of my favorite SRPG's of all time. I just really hope that SE doesn't charge more than $10 for this game.

6. SirAwesome

SirAwesome Well-Known Member

May 20, 2010
    Well according to the pocket gamer rumor miner, they are gona set you back 14.99

7. Balu`

Balu` Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2009
    Hungary
    15?! That's insane.
    I mean, I would pay that much for an original game, but for a port? No way.

8. Achy

Achy Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2009
    How many original iDevice exclusive games are there that are worth $15?
    -None

Point proven.

I respect SQ for raising the bar. If they're successful, which I don't doubt, then we may see even bigger titles being ported.

9. Balu`

Balu` Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2009
    Hungary
    Paying that much for ports (except if they are high quality like Crimson Gem Saga) is giving a developer money for almost no work. Paying more than for an original game (like Chaos Rings) is absolutely crazy.

10. Achy

Achy Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2009
    I do agree that it's a little overpriced for a port, but there aren't any original games that are worth that much.

11. Balu`

Balu` Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2009
    Hungary
    True. But with time, they'll come in my opinion. Devs are starting to take the platform more seriously.

12. Eduku

Eduku Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2009
    London
    If you thought the Crimson Gem Saga port was high quality, then this one is justified.

13. Achy

Achy Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2009
    #113 Achy, Sep 11, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2010
    Who knows when that'll be?

Crimsongem Saga port wasn't that great in my opinion. Worth $10 at most, although it's a great game.

14. Balu`

Balu` Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2009
    Hungary
    Its quality depens on what we compare it to. The game itself is a lot higher quality (as it is newer and closer to today's RPGs), than ports of old NES/SNES games. The port wasn't that high quality, but combined with a high quality game, it is overall a better experience.

EDIT: Achy: I guess that time will come in max. a year. This platform is progressing very quickly.

15. lepeos

lepeos Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2010
    Why does it nessecarily have to cost less if it's a port? Games aren't like food in that if they pass the sell by date the price should be marked down, fair enough when you take an ancient game, that wasn't great in the first place, like Altered Beast or something, that shouldn't be the original price; but something like this, an acclaimed remake of an acclaimed classic.

I almost think it should cost more than the psp version. I mean it's going to have more functionality really, I can just play it anytime I have my phone, rather than having to specifically bring my psp.

16. Balu`

Balu` Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2009
    Hungary
    It's quite simple for me. Developers work a LOT less on a port than on a new game, so they should sell it cheaper.

17. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Well-Known Member

May 24, 2010
    college student, ENG/WGS major
    Lexington, KY
    I agree with this. They save money in a lot of ways:

1) no physical media or shipping- instantaneous, digital distribution
    2) almost no advertising since it is already a well-known game or brand
    3) no new content required, just a port

18. yongkykun

yongkykun Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    3D Animator
    Indonesia
    #118 yongkykun, Sep 11, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2010
    +1 for this. Couldn't agree more.

EDIT: btw, chaos rings is an original game and an exclusive title for the iOS and it's sold for $12.99 . So I think the rumour is just a rumour. If SE is any good with marketing, they'd know better than selling a port for a higher price than an original game.

19. LegoMonster

LegoMonster Active Member

Aug 18, 2010
    I agree, but if this game comes out for $14.99, are you going to buy it?

20. yongkykun

yongkykun Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    3D Animator
    Indonesia
    If I may, I think most people here have become compulsive buyer since the introduction of iPhone / iPod Touch as a game device. So it's a safe bet that many will still buy it on day 1 no matter the price.