Final Fantasy Tactics: The War of Lions [Releasing on 04/August for $15.99]

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by squarezero, Jun 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sixxes

Sixxes Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2009
    I loved this game on my PSP... I can't wait.

2. SirAwesome

SirAwesome Well-Known Member

May 20, 2010
    I'm really looking forward to this game. I heard from the rumor miner at pocket gamer (I know) that ff:t will cost $14.99 as square is testing price limits because chaos rings did well.

Also am I mistaken or did I read somewhere that the psp version of this game had coop?

3. Arq24

Arq24 Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2009
    I dont mind even £ 15 for game like this.Never finished on ps one or psp.I will finish now!!!!

4. Giallorossi

Giallorossi Member

Aug 24, 2010
    I´m a Lawyer
    Mexico City
    I´ll waiting...

Sorry people, i hope that someone can help me, anyone knows, when this game will aviable in the app store...?
    Thanks...!:confused:

5. Noman

Noman Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2009
    September 15th

6. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    omggggggg

7. Soulblitz

Soulblitz Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2010
    $15 doesn't seem so bad, particularly when the PSP version would have been $30-40.

8. yongkykun

yongkykun Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    3D Animator
    Indonesia
    #68 yongkykun, Aug 30, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2010
    $15 is ok? Really?! Think of it this way:
    1. How much have you spent so far and how much do you spend in a month on apps?
    2. $15 might be reasonable for one app but sooner or later that will be the new $9.99. If FFT is going to be $14.99, I'm sure Secret of Mana will have the same pricetag. Now if these two games are successful (in terms of sale), they will try and release some more games at higher price than $14.99. Other big game devs will also try and emulate this and soon more and more games will be released at higher price than the usual $9.99.
    3. Think of the direct implication towards your answer to the question I asked (number 1).

I strongly disagree with this logic. Or are you saying that you don't mind buying a dvd movie that has slightly lower price than its blu-ray counterpart? ... Bad analogy, but you get the point right?

9. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    More price flexibility might also mean that a larger selection of premium games would become available. Personally, I doubt that FFT will be more than CR, since SE already knows that that price is viable -- companies tend to be conservative, after all. Clearly, the 9.99 wall has worked as a kind of glass ceiling for iOS game development.

BTW, unless SE is planning a complete revamp of Secret of Mana, I doubt that it will sell for more than FF1 and 2.

Actually, your analogy is not bad, just completely inverted. FFT for the iPhone will have higher resolution graphics and include newer features (a touch interface, for example) than it's PSP counterpart, so in a way it's more like the blue-ray version of the game. (I'm only referring to costs here, not trying to suggest that the iOS version will be better than the PSP version).

10. Beto_Machado

Beto_Machado Well-Known Member

So, so dumb. See signature for similar stupidity.

Chaos Rings was 13 bucks and it was the most polished, gorgeous game at the App Store. Anyone that likes quality was glad to pay the price for it. You keep your 7 bucks Gameloft titles, while we play the PSP-worthy games.

So, so dumb.

11. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Well-Known Member

May 24, 2010
    college student, ENG/WGS major
    Lexington, KY
    The people who complain about app prices are the same people who regularly shell out $50-60 for shitty, mass-produced games like Call of Duty and Guitar Hero on their super expensive consoles.

Not to mention, you're already in a pretty nice income bracket if you can afford to buy an iPod/iPhone.

12. yongkykun

Feb 12, 2009
    3D Animator
    Indonesia
    @SquareZero, I think you're right. SE is not the kind company that doesn't do market research. So FFT is not going to be just another port then? That's good news.

@Beto_Machado, if you don't know how to debate an idea and resort to insult other people, then you don't belong in this forum. Go to disney.com or something. Besides, if you're so smart and want to play PSP-worthy games, then just play PSP. Or is that too much logic for you to comprehend?

13. yongkykun

Feb 12, 2009
    3D Animator
    Indonesia
    Let me be clear that I love Square-Enix games and I don't mind them charging as much as $15 for a game because I know the kind of quality that I'm going to get. What worries me is 'market trends'. One big dev tends to have hundreds of other new devs who would love to try their luck by implementing the same marketing strategy as the bigger dev without doing preliminary research on the target audience and/or market.

14. SkyMuffin

May 24, 2010
    Lexington, KY
    I think that there's an expected level of quality that comes with games that expensive. Devs aren't going to try it unless they know for sure their game is good enough. The consumers have already set the standards and prices for this market, and it's up to the developers to match that demand (or lack thereof). Squareenix charging more for their games isn't going to make other people increase their prices unless they create games that are equally worthy...and in that case, it isn't a problem at all to pay more for better quality.

15. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    For all the complaints about the FF1 and 2 ports, they did feature full resolution graphics and an interface specifically designed for a touch screen. Chaos Rings raised the bar even higher, IMO, sporting what I consider to be the definitive interface for a turn-based RPG on the platform (in the same way that, regardless of what people think of their overall quality, Modern Combat and Nova defined the FPS interface). As far as the tactics aspect is concerned, my hope is that SE bought copies of War of Eustrath for their UI team and told them "Like this, or better."

16. yongkykun

Feb 12, 2009
    3D Animator
    Indonesia
    I'm always a skeptic when it comes to this wishful thinking. But I do hope you're right.

YES! Absolutely! Though personally, I'm enjoying the FF1 and 2 port so far (haven't finished the first and have had the second one for some time and haven't played it).

Oh well, whatever the case may be for the upcoming SE games, I hope they are better than the ones we have available in the App store. And I sincerely hope that SE's marketing strategy won't influence other devs, big or small.

17. November's Chopin

November's Chopin Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2010
    Ugh still another half month of wait. @_@
    I never played FF Tactics before. Will this be more similar to Fire Emblem than War of Eustrath? I loved the clean & simple interface and medieval/fantasy theme of Fire Emblem, over the cluttered and unnecessarily complex interface of Eustrath.

18. SkyMuffin

May 24, 2010
    Lexington, KY
    #78 SkyMuffin, Aug 30, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2010
    It's not wishful thinking. It's just knowledge of how markets work. If something is too expensive, then there will be less demand for it...so devs will have to lower prices. The price-point of a product is dependent on how much a person wants/needs it, so if the need is too little, it won't sell.

19. Eduku

Eduku Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2009
    London
    If you're talking mainly about the interface, FF Tactics is pretty different to Fire Emblem. The general format of War of Eustrath is a lot closer to Fire Emblem than FF Tactics, albeit less intuitive than FE. For one thing, FF Tactics doesn't really have a complete overhead camera, but rather a '3D' camera, where you can rotate the angle of view. The interface itself is pretty straightforward and simple, you get the portrait of the selected character at the bottom with basic info (HP/MP etc.) and the menu itself is usually the standard stuff, attack, item, etc. There's no separate battle screens or anything, everything takes place on the original battle map.

20. SkyMuffin

May 24, 2010
    Lexington, KY
    I think you mean "isometric"... http://www.google.com/images?um=1&hl=en&safe=off&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial&biw=1091&bih=715&tbs=isch%3A1&sa=1&q=isometric+game&btnG=Search

Tactics also has a lot more focus on long-term jobs and skill development for your characters than Fire Emblem. And a much more complicated and intriguing plotline.