Final Fantasy Tactics: The War of Lions [Releasing on 04/August for $15.99]

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by squarezero, Jun 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. goiMot

goiMot Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2009
    Physician
  2. Maythius

Maythius Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2008
    -post removed-

3. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Well-Known Member

May 24, 2010
    college student, ENG/WGS major
    Lexington, KY
    awww. I'm a little sad that they redid the introduction. The one for the PSX version was so perfectly paced with the music, and much more colorful.

4. Nox166

Nox166 Member

Apr 24, 2010
    i wonder how much its going to cost.

5. FinalGamerAC

FinalGamerAC Well-Known Member

May 24, 2009
    Ohio
    Um no offense but what?, you kind of just contradicted yourself with that article it even states that it, being the PSP port, is a updated version of the the original version. Maybe we are crossing here I'm not saying that this wasn't made for the PSP. I am saying that it was ported to the PSP and not developed from the ground up. Also saying that it is "significantly" different then the original is going much to far. Granted it is a superior version of the game it is still the same, cel-shade cutscenes were added, two new characters, the translation was revised, and voice overs were added,the best addition to the game in my opinion. It is still by far the same game just with extra things added in.

6. bmn02102

bmn02102 Well-Known Member

May 24, 2010
    I own the PSP version, and take my word for it: if they release it for $20, it's more than worth it. Hell, the $40 I paid for the PSP version when it was first released was more than worth it.

7. yongkykun

yongkykun Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    3D Animator
    Indonesia
    Wonder if they'll release Crisis Core as well. I think it's pretty much as heavy as Chaos Rings so I see no reason why it wouldn't play on iPhone hardware.

8. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    I think it's all about semantics. The list you gave strikes me as "significantly different."

9. FinalGamerAC

May 24, 2009
    Ohio
    I suppose so, because we'll have to agree to disagree because I find that its pretty much the same thing with additives.

10. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    agree to disagree?!? 0_o

11. Eduku

Eduku Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2009
    London
    I have to agree with this guy, it is a port, with enhancements. Enhancements are added with ports all the time (albeit more rarely these days) but at the end of the day they're still the same game. E.g. Devil May Cry 4's PC port with Legendary Dark Knight mode or Resident Evil 5's PC port with extra Mercenaries mode.

12. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    As I said, it's a matter of semantics. I find that FFT:WL is a significantly enhanced version compared to, say, Chrono Trigger on the DS, which added only a couple of dungeons to the already enhanced GBA version. I am definitely comfortable with agreeing to disagree on this one :).

13. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2008
    Freelance Entertainment Analyst
    Orlando, FL
    I have to agree with you on this one.

Its really about what each of use finds "significant". I have the original FFT and play it from time to time on my ps3 (I have a First gen), when I still had my psp I found it near impossible to go back and play the original.

The added voices and cutscenes add enough to the game that I don't want to play the original so that's significant to me.

14. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    That was kind of my point: the PS1 classic has been available on PSN for a very reasonable price, but I decided to hold off and wait for a sale on the War of the Lions version. Now I'll just wait for the iPhone one ;).

15. FinalGamerAC

May 24, 2009
    Ohio
    When was Chrono Trigger released on the GBA? I think you are mistaken. Chrono Trigger was originally a SNES game which was ported to the PS1 and they added anime style cutscenes and bonus end game features. The game was then eventually ported to the DS where the PS1 additives were included and then the extra areas, new translation, touch screen/dual screen controls, and a auto map were added.
    Thinking about playing the game in the past now makes me want a Chrono Trigger port.

16. Eduku

Eduku Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2009
    London
    Yeah, it went from the SNES to the PS1, never to the GBA. The PS1 version was an enhancement of the SNES version, so I guess the DS version is an enhancement of an enhancement.

17. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Alright, alright -- no need to gang up on me ;).

18. Grumps

Grumps Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

Feb 2, 2009
    iOS Game Developer
    Ooo thats lovely.. I didn't really liked it when they ported the Final Fantasy I & II. Now this is finally a real FF! Anymore screens or gameplay trailer?

19. Eduku

Eduku Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2009
    London
    I guess if you want to look at screens or gameplay, you could just look at the PSP version, since it's the same. But if you're looking for stuff like on-screen buttons, then no, I don't think any are available.

20. FinalGamerAC

May 24, 2009
    Ohio
    Yes because you know how the original Final Fantasy is a fake and how the offshoot series is the real one. :)