Final Fantasy Tactics 50% off

Discussion in 'Price Drops, Must-Have Freebies, and Deals' started by Exact-Psience, Aug 4, 2015.

1. PwNaGeDaN

PwNaGeDaN Member

Feb 26, 2011
    Also wondering about this. Tempted to buy if it does.

2. klink

klink 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 22, 2013
    No thank you
    USA
    Yes, it works fine. I just started playing it again and so far I haven't run into any issues. Granted I'm mainly going through the tutorials again.

3. IOSgamer1980

IOSgamer1980 Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2015
    I hate that there are two versions of this game.

Has Square ever explained why?

4. klink

klink 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 22, 2013
    No thank you
    USA
    Yeah, it's old and pre-dates universal apps.

5. Xexist

Xexist Well-Known Member

May 6, 2010
    Canada
    Way back when this first came out I seem to recall complaints of hard to read text and possibly poor controls... has anything changed in these regards? Is this a must buy or a stay away from?

6. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    #26 syntheticvoid, Dec 18, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2015
    I have no idea how much the controls have changed... I've never had an issue with them, but I played this on PSP before purchasing it in the AppStore, so I knew pretty much exactly what to expect with regards to menus and controlling the camera angels. The text has been fixed in an update though.

And personally, an SRPG would have to completely blow me away to ever even come close to having a shot at knocking WotL outta my top 3 favorite games in the entire strategy genre.

7. Xexist

Xexist Well-Known Member

May 6, 2010
    Canada
    SOLD. will buy then

8. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    I've heard that this has helped quite a few people get into the game. Even after playing it, I learned a few things reading through it.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/psp/937312-final-fantasy-tactics-the-war-of-the-lions/faqs/50422

It's a deep game. But if you can power through the beginning, it opens up into something that makes almost all other strategy games pale in comparison.

9. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Must buy. No SRPG will ever come close to this game. I can almost guarantee that. Also, aside from the very deep gameplay, the story is phenomenal. Some even say it has the best story out of all the Final Fantasy games.

Additionally, the iOS version is the definitive version (unless the PSP version / vita got an update). I don't know why they don't point it out more often but they redid ALL the player sprites into HD versions. I took a screencap for comparisons on the main thread but they basically gave this game HD treatment but most people have overlooked that. Rare for SE while remaining faithful to the original art. All their other remakes have mostly met mixed to poor responses.

10. imdakine1

imdakine1 Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2011
    I bought this on the ipad which is great but wish I had in my iPhone as I play with my iPhone more often. May consider repurchasing it but totally hate the non universal issue... I get that it was released before they had universal but still a bit of a bummer...

I'll check out your screenshots as I don't recall the HD graphics...

11. imdakine1

Aug 23, 2011
    @l.lawliet...Your comments on many games have helped me decide to purchase some apps... I found your post with the HD graphics. I was close to buying this on the iPhone today but came across the warning from the producers mentioning iOS 9 beta and no further update. Does this work with ios9 or ios9.2?

12. Xexist

Xexist Well-Known Member

May 6, 2010
    Canada
    Reasons like this is why it's bullshit Apple hounds people to update every flippin day

13. sinagog

sinagog Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2014
    #33 sinagog, Dec 19, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2015
    This reddit thread (https://www.reddit.com/r/iosgaming/comments/3mf2bi/final_fantasy_tactics_on_ios_9/) says it works on ios 9.1 but I wouldn't mind some further confirmation. Definitely getting this if it does, as I think I've played every other FF game up to X over the years. Though FF VI is the only one I've played in like fifteen years (dat opera scene*). Tactics used to scare me when I was younger, but now it looks like the most meaty and satisfying of them all. Does it play like the occasional almost Tower Defency bombard missions you'd sometimes get in the other games? I don't know how much I liked those at the time... I s'pose I should probably just watch a gameplay vid. EDIT: Ah, Squarezero gave it the all clear over in the main thread. Getting it then!

*I actually once wrote a song to this really pretty melody that just appeared in my head one day. It was about a lonely donkey. It was only years later when I replayed the game that I realised that I'd subliminally cribbed the entire melody wholesale from that Final Fantasy opera.

14. imdakine1

Aug 23, 2011
    That and I'd hope that the game companies world want to update their statements so that people know if the games will or won't work. Beta iOS 9 is old so clearly no update in a while by game company.

15. L.Lawliet

Jun 28, 2011
    It's definitely not tower defense. You'd probably need to watch a gameplay video before you buy so you don't get the wrong impression. You basically move your units around a grid battlefield and attack. Directions you're facing, terrain, etc can have an impact. The character learning skills and classes are probably some of the most in depth of any video game, requiring hours and hours of work. It's no walk in the park either as enemies on random encounters always scale to your party level so you'll always have a good fight (though story missions do not change difficulty). Side stuff like animal poaching, treasure hunting, and unlocking side characters top this game off. And then you'll have a lovely storyline to read as you play through.

That's great to hear! Hopefully you've found some good games you liked :)

What did you think about the HD graphics? There was a TA article about it too but I guess it really went under the radar since Tactics isn't considered part of the core numbered series (and it frankly is way more difficult). Unfortunately I can't help you with you question but it seems others can. I'm running on ios8 still since they blocked device file write access in the newer versions. I do hope you do enjoy FFT if you do end up getting it!

16. sinagog

sinagog Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2014
  17. L.Lawliet

Jun 28, 2011
    No problem! After you play (hopefully you like it), please post in the main thread about what you think of the game, I always love hearing what others have to say.

And yes, there are sooo many great articles about FFT out there. It's near unanimously a masterpiece. I don't know if you've played FF12 but the way they talk is just like that which really immerses me in their world, and I do think it's the same world (?), but I'm not too sure. You can also unlock Balthier from FF12 and Cloud from FF7 if you need any more incentives ;)

18. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    Works fine with ios 9.2

19. klink

klink 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 22, 2013
    No thank you
    USA
    Yep, I have experienced no issues with 9.2.