Universal Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (by DeNA Corp.)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Monztamash, Sep 27, 2014.

1. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    The start of the game confused me. Millions of things happened. :D

2. Dr_Nachin

Dr_Nachin Well-Known Member

Nov 12, 2014
    iOS developer
    Santo Domingo/ Dom Rep.
    #162 Dr_Nachin, Mar 27, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2015
    Elite dungeons

Cleared the first two elite dungeons with a group of 16s/17s. I enjoyed the longer boss fights. More strategy/ ability usage needed. Picked up a few 3 star orbs as drops from some bosses. I was also surprised when the message "you have completed all normal dungeons" popped up, but I guess I can now focus on daily dungeons/elites and today's is armor mats so I am happy.Hope new content comes out soon.

3. PBSNellie

PBSNellie Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2013
    Southern CA
    Uh oh. I think I found a huge bug. I was in the middle of a dungeon when I got "the date has changed" message. Well, I can't get out of that message no matter what. I have restarted, and it keeps looping to that message. for some reason my save data function is not working either-it doesn't like my game center account. I hope I don't have to delete and reinstall, I've gotten pretty far into the game.

4. PeteOzzy

PeteOzzy Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Norwich, England
    #164 PeteOzzy, Mar 27, 2015
    I have mixed feelings on this game.

The visuals and music are superb, there is so much love in this. The work that went into turning 3D bosses and monsters into animated 2D sprites is evident from the start. Collecting equipment, characters and abilities is great too - taking something that's normally a chore in other similar games and smothering it in fan service to ease the grind. There's something hypnotically addictive about it and I've sunk a hell of a lot of time into it already.

That said, there's very little gameplay to it. You can easily set it to auto-attack and complete every single battle, most of the time with a gold rating too. I realise that's missing the point of an RPG but my melee characters kill every basic enemy in one hit so I'm not feeling any scope for strategising. It's a very easy game which I think erodes something of what I love in the series - sure I could cast spells on the basic enemies, but the ability use limits actively encourage you to just spam attacks.

Most of the menus feel pretty cheap too and have some strange design decisions. Optimise regularly picks characters with weaker stats than my current line-up just because they're higher level and why there isn't just a button to play the next lowest-difficulty level without faffing about checking the paintings confuzzles me.

It's a beautiful love letter but it sorely needs new content. If the upcoming levels actually require thinking then I'll absolutely love it. The energy system is one of the most generous I've ever seen and the same is true of the premium currency; you get more than enough. That alone is enough to really impress me but I desperately want some more game to go with the role-playing.

Hopefully I'm the only one that feels this way though. I'd rather be wrong and everyone loves it!

5. Dr_Nachin

Dr_Nachin Well-Known Member

Nov 12, 2014
    iOS developer
    Santo Domingo/ Dom Rep.
    #165 Dr_Nachin, Mar 27, 2015
    Elite dungeons

Pete, have you tried the elite dungeons? I agree you can pretty much auto attack through most of the normal content, but I was surprised how long the battle was in the first elite dungeon. You actually had to plan for boss counters and carefully use your spells and other skills, even defense(assuming you are not over leveled. I was in a party of 16/17s and the first elite dungeon took quite a bit). Try out the first two elite dungeons and see if that changes your stance on game difficulty. Sure did for me.

6. orangecan

orangecan Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2011
    Gave it a quick go yesterday and quite enjoyed it but I can't get it to load today.... I keep getting a cannot connect to network error.... In the uk and no issues with my internet or anything

7. Sephiroth777

Sephiroth777 Member

Mar 27, 2015
    Does it make sense to roll for the Relics with mythril during this launch event, or is it better to wait for a different one? Thanks!

8. Toney

Toney Member

Nov 20, 2014
    They really need to fix the "freezes" when going through the upgrade inventory menu. It's getting really really annoying.

9. andysmash

andysmash Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2011
    I have basically no Final Fantasy experience. I played one of the Gameboy games when I was a little kid, but that's it. So as someone with no nostalgia at all, man, this game is really bad, haha. The menus are a mess, the tutorial is insane and there seems to be very little skill. Just hit "auto" and then look at the loot you get. Where's the fun or challenge?

10. H4nd0fg0d

H4nd0fg0d Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2010
    Funny thing. Can't get the English version of the game to even load. So I downloaded the Japanese version with a lot more content and have been playing it, even tho I can't understand a single word, which in essence makes the game substanceless. Lol. Guess I wasn't rlly missing anything after all.

11. MyUsernameName

Aug 26, 2014
    How do we check when our characters expires?

12. sivad

sivad Well-Known Member

Mar 28, 2013
    Full disclosure, i am a diehard final fantasy fan and there is very little that could have been done for me to dislike this game, with that said...

Shaun has stated that this game released is behind the Japanese version, so there is more content that just implemented yet. During his interviews with the team, they stated they hoped for a the west to receive this game well, so in my eyes they are wanting to see how it does before the best their time heavily into it, or as heavily as they have in Japan.

I don't see or understand the problems with the menus or any of the UI. Inventory management and gear selection has been the staple of all FF games I've ever played, and this is no different. If you don't wish to dig into the stats you can "optimize" to have the system do it for you, but I would suggest you do it manually to enjoy it more.

Normal difficulty fights are very easy and if you wanted, you could auto attack through it. The elite counterparts are very challenging and if you auto through those, your party will wipe. This is why j suggest not doing auto attacks in normal so you can learn the bosses weaknesses before the elite stages. You will need to upgrade your weapons and spells to win in these scenarios.

Stamina bar is one of my only complaints with the game, however, it does refill very quickly and first time clear rewards the stamina chunks needed to refill and up your stamina allowance. First time boss clears reward 2.

The mithril is also very generous, at last count I've accumulated enough for 10 free chests.

This game could have easily been a money pit if they had wanted, modeled around theP&D and BF guide, they could have had characters and gear in the lottery but only chose the gear. I think that is done very well.

I was skeptical because I'm admittedly not a fan of DeNa past work, but this feels much different. There are FREEMIUM aspects but it is very palatable compared to some.

You won't be blown away by the graphics and you mah not fully understand some of the story the record keeper is trying to preserve but I think this will be a long lasting game, and encourage all to stick it out for more content and future updates. Challenge yourself to understand the game and not just fly through the campaigns to try to reach the end game as fast as possible, it's a much more rewarding experience.... Just my 2 cents :)

13. MyUsernameName

Aug 26, 2014
    Did you notice when you got Tidus from the present box, he was going to expire?

14. Sephiroth777

Sephiroth777 Member

Mar 27, 2015
    erm ... really?

15. sivad

sivad Well-Known Member

Mar 28, 2013
    No, Tidus doesn't expire, the gift box expires if not claimed within x amount of days. Same with all daily gifts

16. RichRuzz

RichRuzz Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2012
    I bought a few boxes got mostly crap and I'm sad haha. Finished the current content just gonna XP farm I guess.

17. CrazedJava

CrazedJava Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 2015
    Let's be honest here. Horrible menu systems are practically a staple of the Final Fantasy series, so why would this be different?

Also, on that expiration, it's like a month to claim, so not unreasonable at all. I've seen something similar in other games.

18. orangecan

orangecan Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2011
    I got the English one yesterday and it loaded and played fine but it's not loading today at all

19. Zeillusion

Zeillusion Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2013
    So do Ya get all characters while playing through the game? Anyone recommend a good starting up team? My guys are all level 10-14. Rocking mostly warriors / dragoons (melee) and one white Mage to heal.

Also realized when you auto it appears they don't cast skills, only attack.

Enjoying the game though!

I'm just not to sure what I focus on. At my level so I do events? Worry about story? Upgrading? Ect

20. sivad

sivad Well-Known Member

Mar 28, 2013
    I would agree to say complex, horrible sounds like a bad word ;)