Universal Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (by DeNA Corp.)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Monztamash, Sep 27, 2014.

1. eflin

eflin Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2011
    Retaliate is still a very valid strategy that many use. I personally dislike it and don't use it.... But it's very good.

2. ItouchBrett

ItouchBrett Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2008
    I don't get it though. Why would I use retaliate on cloud to waste a move and has someone use double cut on him so he can attack for the same damage he would have a normal attack... Retaliate doesn't do any extra damage that I can tell. My reg attack and retaliate damage is the same

3. eflin

eflin Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2011
    The idea of a retaliate team is you max out one main character (in your example Cloud) with the best of the best gear you can field. Then everyone else is a simple support character OR mage. The support character (usually only one) casts breaks on the boss (armor and mental breakdown often)... someone else casts Boost on Cloud... and then you go to town on the boss. Any mages unload all their best spells... and then they just poke Cloud who will retaliate against the boss for his full boosted attack (and not the mages measly attack).

One of the biggest pluses of this squad setup is you only need ONE good weapon. Everyone else can have junk weapons (and often you want them to have low attack weapons so they don't hurt Cloud much). It also meshes well with a mage strat as it allows them to still do great damage even when they run out of spell uses (because they can poke your retaliator who unloads on the boss) and the good mage weapons usually have bad attack (but good magic stat) so they fit perfectly.

I personally don't like this strategy though because it feels like an exploit (you also won't see my using VIT-0). It is apparently working as intended... but it makes no sense for your character to "counter" attack an attack from his teammate. If anything I would think he would bash in your teammate... but that's just my opinion :- ) Most people are perfectly fine with it and it really is an effective strategy!

4. DarkCecil

DarkCecil Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2015
    Re-retaliate...You also have the benefit of sticking everybody else in the back row for added defense

5. ItouchBrett

Dec 28, 2008
    Is this setup generally only used for boss battles or can it be used for elites?

6. eflin

eflin Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2011
    Both. What I described above is what you do once you reach the boss

On the trash you can either just use retaliate and have everyone poke your main guy (no need to boost or do breaks). Or you could just use your main dude (and maybe your support dude if he has good attack) and defend/pass with everyone else. You could also use a quake or two if you have black mages RM2. Chances are if you can't take down the trash without using abilities you are in trouble come boss time anyway (especially with save/load trick)

I never run this so this might not be 100% accurate but I think that is the gist of it. If anyone runs it feel free to correct me or provide more detail

7. DarkCecil

Jun 7, 2015
    Anybody able to inflict the Behemoth King with poison in the cave in the veldt? I was able to master classic without it, but I know I'm gonna need those 3 medals on elite when I eventually try to give it a go

8. eflin

eflin Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2011
    I've only done classic as well (not going to get to elites for a bit. Just finished off the Balthier boss rush last night and now am running through Cecil event) but I don't think you need to poison him. I think you need to cast Biora on him. Not 100% as I have not done it yet myself... but that was my interpretation. It would say inflict poison not exploit his weakness to poison if you needed to do the status ailment I believe.

9. eflin

eflin Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2011
    Posted this over on reddit and thought it might help others here. It's a no VIT-0 no retaliate strat post about the Balthier boss rush event. I have some natural 5 star but most people attempting a boss rush should as well given the large amounts of mythril you can get from the non-event dungeons and quests. I have spent $5 on the game doing the 100 gem pulls… but that was mostly just to support the developer. I still consider myself F2P (especially since I got all 3 stars from those pulls).

Anyway... hopefully this can help give you some ideas for attempting the boss rush on your own. The bosses in it are slightly easier versions of the ones you previously fought (not much... but still easier) so if you can actually unlock it, then it's worth a shot IMO. Heck even losing a couple mythril on refreshes is typically worth the rewards boss rush yields.

My squad:
    **Balthier** [Lv50] ~Sky Pirates Pride~
    Platinum Dagger (4*)/Regal Gown (5*)/HyperWrist
    Armor Break [R3]/Power Break [R3]
    **Sephiroth** [Lv56] ~Blitz Eye~ using Murasame Bladestorm Rain SB
    Murasame (5*)/EdinCoat (5*)/Hyper Wrist
    Double Cut [R4]/Double Cut [R4]
    **Vivi** [Lv57] ~Mana Spring II~
    Power Rod+ (4*)/Shepherd's Bolero++ (5*)/Angels Wings
    Quake [R3]/Thundaja [R2]
    **Garnet** [Lv60] ~Concentration II~
    Flame Staff++(5*)/Black Robe+ (5*)/Touph Ring
    Beserk [R2]/Curaga [R5]
    **Cloud** [Lv60] ~Attunement II~ using Kasier Shield Protectga SB
    Diamond Sword (4*)/Kaiser Shield(5*)/Hyper Wrist
    Fira Strike [R3]/Blizzara Strike [R3]
    **RW: Vanille** - DeProtega

Luckily I have the Kaiser Shield which saved me a skill slot and let me not run The Grimoire as my RW (although I still use Grimoire for lots of elite content). Murasame is also a lucky draw for this event as it’s SB was perfect for the 4th stage.

In hindsight Sephiroth likely wasn’t an ideal choice. I wanted to use Murasame and Kaiser shield on different people but I could have done Murasame on Cloud and the shield on a support character. More support abilities over just double cuts might have helped… but oh well. I also wish I could have done Blizzaja over Thundaja but I didn’t have it honed… Probably should have done Blizzaga still instead as it really helps on Mimic Queen... but attunement II paired with blizzara strike really got the job done anyway.

Air Cutter Remora
    **Balthier** – 2 Armor Break, then attack.
    **Sephiroth** – 2 Double cut then attack [all physical attacks… with blitz eye these are all at 1.1 multiplier and his ATB moves faster]
    **Vivi** - Used 1 Thundaja, then defend, and pass turn repeatedly (save actions so you don’t lose a medal)
    **Garnet**– Defend…. Then pass turn healing as needed
    **Cloud** – 2 Blizzara Strike… then regular attack

This battle is easy. If you can unlock the boss rush this should almost be an auto battle. I used my free abilities (knowing you get a ether at end of battle) to speed things up and save medals potentially. In hindsight I should have attacked with Vivi to build up SB but no big deal. I ended up not needing to but my plan was to redo this stage after stage 4 to heal up and recharge abilities.

Daguza / Galeedo / Gwitch
    **Balthier** - Armor Break Gwitch, Attack until Gwitch dies… armor break Daguza…. attack
    **Sephiroth** – 2 Double Cuts on Gwitch, Attack
    **Vivi**– 2 Quakes, Attack
    **Garnet** – Defend… Then pass turn healing as needed (making sure to cast a couple curagas near end of battle since they’ll be recharged anyway)
    **Cloud** – 2 Fira Strike on Gwitch, Attack

This should be another easy battle. Use your free abilities to speed things up. You need to focus on Gwitch first since he can heal people and cause you to lose a medal for actions. That’s why I brought fira strike and cloud. Otherwise… pretty straight forward. You really need to get full medals on this stage and the first stage as difficulty spikes after this.

Mimic Queen
    **Balthier** - Armor Break, Power Break, Attack, Power Break again once Berserk wears off.
    **Sephiroth** – 4 Double Cuts, Attack
    **Vivi** – 2 Thundaja, defend, pass turns
    **Garnet** – Berserk (S/L if it misses), Defend… Then pass turn healing as needed
    **Cloud** – Used Kaiser Shield SB, then Blizzara Strike (all of them), then attack

Berserk is an all star here. S/L until it hits. Cloud with attunement II and Blizzara strike also was amazing. He did the majority of my damage on this one. I managed to kill the Queen 3 turns after my first beserk ran out… and she still did enough damage that I lost a medal for damage taken. Still not too hard as long as beserk hits and you have protega in some form (for me kasier shield… but could be your RW or the normal WM skill)

Ba’Gamnan / Bwagi / Gijuk / Rinok
    **Balthier** – Armor Breakdown on 2 different ones… SB… then attack
    **Sephiroth** – Used Murasame SB twice which helped a lot. Not necessary but likely saved me a medal. Then just used a couple double cuts and attacked
    **Vivi**- Use SB, and throw out 3-4 quakes. Then defend away. The front dude died from just deprotega and 2 quakes.
    **Garnet** – Make sure she goes first and does Deprotega. Allows you to kill the front of the 4 dudes quickly! Then just defend and heal as necessary (throw out the SB too).
    **Cloud**- Straight attack. I tried to rebuild my spellblades knowing the next fight would be tougher.

You really want deprotega to hit first and then use every AOE attack you can for the first two rounds… then save remaining ones for next fight. You should be able to take out the front dude in the first round… then each of the middle ones takes a couple rounds each… and the back guy holds on for a while. I lost a medal on actions taken and damage taken.

Judge Ghis (and Imperial Hoplite x3)
    **Balthier** - Armor and Power Break Ghis then SB for AOE damage, attack the Hoplites to speed up demise as needed
    **Sephiroth** – Used Murasame SB (had one stored up from last battle). Then just spam all remaining double cuts and attack.
    **Vivi** - Use SB, then use all remaining spells (quake first to clear hoplites) .
    **Garnet** – Again try to have her go first and Deprotega. Then beserk Ghis (S/L if it misses). Then defend… healing as needed… throw out the SB… and re apply berserk if you can
    **Cloud** – Used my Kaisher shield SB immediately and then threw out all remaining spellblades. Then attacked reapplying SB whenever it charged (unless Ghis was berserked in which case he casts protect on you anyway)

This was really just a slow battle of attrition as Ghis takes forever to grind down. Ghis almost got Balthier once… but otherwise things went smoothly. Lost 4 medals here for damage and actions… but was a pretty straight forward strat. All I can say is make sure you have berserk… makes this battle A LOT easier as it prevents him using grand barrier (he still got it off once between berserks for me) AND he casts protect on your squad... which is hilarious.

10. Pooter

Pooter Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    By itself, no. With a team of 2x cut, it's still awesome :)

My favorite part is that 2x cut/Ret carries over to the next round.

Example

1 enemy left, hit cloud with 2x cut, IF enemy dies from 1 hit, the next hit carries over and cloud strikes first.

11. ItouchBrett

Dec 28, 2008
    So yuna.. She has better healing then garnet? Also I was wondering if should save my mighril for lightning event. Or try and get yunas new SB or wakas official ball.

12. eflin

eflin Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2011
    Yuna is a solid healer. Definitely better than Garnet at healing but the two are similar. I like Garnets default SB more though so she will retain her spot in my ideal lineup.
    As for relic draws... I did two but am otherwise hoarding for lightning event. But to each their own. The only reason I even did the two pulls is my hearthstone ritual... which makes no sense... but every time I open a legendary in hearthstone I do 2 relic pulls on FFRK... and every time I've pulled a 5 star... makes no sense but I'm sticking with it!

13. ItouchBrett

Dec 28, 2008
    Yunas SB doesn't look all that game changing so maybe I'll sub her for my garnet.... My garnets SB is the raise party attack. Don't use it that much since I have reds pin and I love the haste/protect so maybe yuna will replace my garnet. I'll save my 200myrthl for lightning. She's on of my favs not to mention I hear her 5 star weapon is one of the best weapons.

14. eflin

eflin Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2011
    200 mythril? Nice! I'm only at like 30...
    But yeah the Lightning banner is fantastic. The only other banner I might consider is Quistis/Selphie as I have NO 5 star mage weapons yet...

15. ItouchBrett

Dec 28, 2008
    So how do you know the Lightning banner is gonna be good? Jap version? Any links showing it?

16. eflin

eflin Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2011
    #1516 eflin, Jul 16, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2015
    Yeah it's based on the JP version. The biggest reason though is it has both Lightning and Sazh in it both of whom have some of the best SB in the game... and is for a realm not many people have good synergy in yet (so even the generic 5 stars should be beneficial). I don't know what the generics will be though.

Also... just realized Yuna can use intimidate... that bumps her up a lot in my book. She might take Garnets spot after all.

EDIT: found this: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/19hqOMMZXZN6Tl7l6_eipgULqTCxkkVkYZ_lYs4ktJMc/edit#gid=0

Doesn't include the next set of celebration banners (since we haven't been following JP pairings anyway) but they'll also be good options and likely done near some holiday? xmas or thanksgiving maybe?

17. ItouchBrett

Dec 28, 2008
    #1517 ItouchBrett, Jul 17, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2015
    Trying to get official ball I threw 5 myrthril at the banner. Got yunas 5 star SB. Wow. Major damage.... Think I'll keep her as my main healer now. So, her or lenna? I doubly lenna regrn compares to the sending SB

18. ImLegend

ImLegend Well-Known Member

Jun 26, 2010
    Stuck on Glory of the Guado ++
    Any tips?!

19. DarkCecil

Jun 7, 2015
    Just beat ex +. Will take some runs at ++ tonight. Sometimes the best tips come from failures... Anything to offer up ImLegend?

20. ImLegend

ImLegend Well-Known Member

Jun 26, 2010
    #1520 ImLegend, Jul 20, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2015
    Prepare for a long fight,I got expert not mastery without vit0, looking for tip How to master this one; Death for both Guado guards but I only got R1 took too many action to kill the second one, Kirin R2 and Carbuncle R2 are useful here for phrase 1 and phrase 3