Universal Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (by DeNA Corp.)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Monztamash, Sep 27, 2014.

1. chaos_envoys

chaos_envoys Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2011
    Medical Doctor
    Pokke Village, Indonesia
    Phew, the elite dragon is dead with only cyan left on my party.. no mythirls used... but not mastered obviously.. anyways, I have tyro's healing grimoire is thats useful to be added as your friend..

2. Cronk

Cronk Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2013
    I've got rydias whip for a shot of shiva. Not half bad but it's no party heal.

And yea, if I can grind some levels on Sunday that'll help. Saturday to get the breaks, Sunday to level and do dragon. Gonna beat the other elite levels between now and then...

There's the vit0 trick if you can manage it btw. Total exploit but it can help you master dragon if you can make the proper orbs. Google it if you're interested.

3. Septim

Septim Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2010
    Kind of looking forward to the update cuz we need more help. Some of these Elite dungeons seem barely within reach. Killed elite dragon but admit I skipped the two or three levels before it. Rewards not worth the trouble or mythrils. Anyway, I'll be back to add as many people as it allows. The more help, the better. I've got Seph's Hell Dive soul break to offer.

4. ImLegend

ImLegend Well-Known Member

Jun 26, 2010
    I found I 'm more furstrated than fun to play recently for couple reasons:
    1) hard to catch up the overlap events, that make me quite stressful, I like to play game with my own pace
    2) the event dungeon are too hard for me without the sync 5* weapons, nearly impossible to master.
    If I need to pay 30 bucks to do 11 relic draws, I think I would prefer to pay 20bucks for chaos ring 3...
    Don't read me wrong, I like the game, it's a great game. but I want to enjoy it more than hate it!

5. eflin

eflin Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2011
    As is the case with most F2P games... you have to accept you won't be able to do everything if you don't pay. This is for 2 reasons (and most people don't realize the second one).

1) The company wants to make money... so making hard content that people need better stuff for helps push this. It needs to be carefully done though as paywalls are bad.

2) They need to provide content for their paying customers. And since they have much better stuff (on average) they need to make challenging content. Not providing content for the paying customers is just bad business.

Having played a few of these types of games in the past... I think they are doing a good job balancing the F2P and paying customers so far. The F2P just need to accept they can't do the hardest of the elite dungeons all the time... or need to come up with very good strats for them (like the dino in rinoa event).

And don't stress about completing everything. It really is not a big deal. It's only a big deal to miss characters but they make them pretty easy to get. Abilities and gear can always be made or pulled from the relic draw. So just have fun with it... and if it becomes tiring/stressful... take a break from it

6. shdwstar2417

shdwstar2417 Member

May 16, 2012
    Update is available now

7. Laire

Laire Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2012
    Overworked Graphic Designer :)
    I assume it won't actually DO anything for another day-and-a-half - it'll just be necessary to continue playing when they flip the switch Saturday night (EST) and reactivate things six hours later.

( I don't see any option to cast "Hastega" on my battle speed yet. :) )

8. Hadin

Hadin Member

Jun 17, 2012
    Ever since I updated it crashes on startup... I don't remember if I uploaded my save so not sure if I should delete and reinstall... Does it automatically link with your gamecenter account?

9. Cronk

Cronk Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2013
    Beat orthos elite after a crapton of restarts (aquabreath/magnitude 8 spam... Hasted. Go to hell) but the next fight of him and the snort dude... Nope.

Not after what I just went through. Just... Nope.

10. Cronk

Cronk Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2013
    Here's my problem: it wasn't done carefully. There IS a paywall. It's deliberate and in my face. They intentionally upped the stats of mobs from the JP version to create a bigger paywall.

That aside, the game just isn't FUN right now. It's not remotely fair. The aoe dmg coming in, as well as the instant-ko attacks, simply make the game not fun at all. I can make no mistakes with a well geared maxed out party with good synergies and still lose a boss battle the first 50 times.

I'm annoyed at how horribly out of line the content is with our power levels. The last few events had content you simply can't beat without using mythril to respawn with rez buffs. And even then you're resetting a LOT. Screw that.

Top it off with this event which is basically just ff6 revisited/recycled and it puts a sour taste in my mouth. I'll see if the levels help but if I continue to hit this paywall & constant need to use reset trick I'll just move on.

11. Laire

Laire Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2012
    With the exception of Rinoa's event (where they apparently gave us the "revisited" stats for the final stage instead of the "first time event" boss stage), I'm not sure how true that is. Heck, the Japanese version didn't even have SYNERGY until Rinoa's event, and their Red Dragon was just as much of a pain as ours is.

If you don't feel you've "won" an event unless you complete every part of it on Elite, I don't think you'll ever be happy with the game. I gave up on being a completionist as soon as I realized that I'd never have 95% of the character-specific weapons.

I haven't full-cleared the last three or four events, and I haven't missed anything meaningful. There's three stages I can't clear in this one - the Airship, Floating Continent and Phoenix Cave on Elite. And none of them matter. What am I losing? A spare Hero's Ring that's already close to being out-of-date, a Major Summon Orb, and Phoenix - a single-use skill which hits for less force than Firaga and throws in a rarely-useful "Raise." I don't have a spare skill slot for that, I'll never use it. It's unnecessary crap - why would I waste Mythril to try to win that fight?

I don't expect to win those 200,000 HP boss battles - I look at them as "how far can I get?" I actually find it refreshing that the deck is stacked against us that badly - I grew up with the first Final Fantasy on the NES and to a certain extent it WAS that unfair. Yes, I had my entire party wiped by Chaos from one CRAK spell and bad die rolls. Did I swear like a sailor? You betcha. Did I have "force close" to help me? Nope. Did I trudge back through the entire dungeon and try again the next day? Yup.

So rather than "subtle," let's describe the paywall as 100% optional, with rewards that don't match the risks. If you want to full-clear events, you'll be paying money, resetting multiple times a dungeon, or both. The "necessary" rewards can be earned without stepping foot in a single Elite Dungeon.

I'll try Atma(Ultima) Weapon and friends again on Sunday with the Friend system up and running. If Tyro's book is enough for me to get the job done, all well and good. If not, I'll move on to the next event without any worries.

The game will probably never evolve past NES logic: "Oh, you rolled a 1. The boss hits you with Southern Cross. Thanks for playing." When they start having USEFUL prizes stuck behind those reset-o-rama battles, I'll probably sing a different tune. But it hasn't happened yet.

[/WallOfText]

12. Nils

Nils Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2009
    Update

Nothing new in the update 5.0.4 ??

13. beaver_lions

beaver_lions Member

Feb 20, 2014
    Please remember the new update features will be here after the down time. I believe it will come tonight.

There is no paywall. You will complete as much as your level can get you. Just like Pokemon you will grind your Pokemon for exp as much as you can. You won't get all the badges with level 1 or even level 20. You will get as far as that can get you. It's an rpg, you're going to have to level up and fight to win.

14. Barak

Barak Well-Known Member

Mar 13, 2010
    Portland, OR
    Totally agree with this. If you are a true completionist, why would you ever play a constantly updated game? They are made to never "complete".

At the same time, FFRK gives you every character that comes out relatively easily, brings back characters that you missed, give you tons of free premium currency so that you are basically guaranteed a few 5*, etc. There IS no paywall, so far. Every level has been mastered by an account that never spent a dime. That being said, some stages are a HUGE pain without having good success at relic pulls and good RNG, but I remember most NES/SNES games that had battles that felt just as bad. Many I never completed. Those games were $50. People throw around "paywall" too loosely.

15. Cronk

Cronk Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2013
    You, uh, can't level up more to compete. At least until the patch hits.

I don't think you guys get what a paywall is. There's paywalls here. I'll agree that the prizes currently aren't "must haves", but 99% of the players can't finish events before hitting a literal paywall.

As in, a wall you have to throw money at.

I grew up playing those same Nintendo games. Outside of running into Warmech on your way to Tiamat or getting to stage 6-2 in Ninja Gaiden, there weren't many unfair or insurmountable obstacles. You COULD grind xp and win most of the time.

I'm glad you guys are content with getting to a certain point in the game where you hit a wall, but I don't know why you would be. It's tedious as hell at first grinding 3stam missions to get to decent content, after which you slam into a wall where even trash mobs do unfair nonsense that ends a run. It's not "challenging", it's just "getting screwed by RNG that's so heavily stacked against you that you'll spend more time closing and reloading the game than actually playing."

I'd rather play FF ATB.

16. Keitch83

Keitch83 Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2010
    I'm unsure if I'm understanding some of the comments correctly so I apologise in advance but am I right in thinking we should be expecting square to throw a completely free game our way without expecting a single penny/cent to be spent on it?I admit some of the levels are unrealistic to complete without spending a bit of cash but I personally haven't spent a thing and have happily played the game everyday since its release.

17. Mookmonster

Mookmonster Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Why try to enjoy a free game when you can bitch about the 5% of content u cant beat without tossing up some $$$?

18. skyong01

skyong01 New Member

Jun 7, 2015
    unable to login

i was have same problem with my ipad too...anyone have the fixed/solution?:(

19. Laire

Laire Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2012
    We're on different pages, then. In my eyes, as soon as you get Locke, you've finished the event. All Elite stages are recycled, optional, higher difficulty, get-as-far-as-you can content.

Airship (Elite), Floating Continent (Elite) and Phoenix Cave (Elite) are the most likely freemium stumbling blocks. Anything else, if a player is completely blocked it's because they didn't spend the majority of their time farming for the right orbs and crafting/honing the proper 3* skills.

Again, I find that an odd example. Ninja Gaiden is an example of REAL LIFE XP. Even if you lacked the trigger reflexes necessary, trial-and-error would eventually teach you "Hey, if I do this, this enemy won't show up so I won't need to risk getting knocked into that pit," and how to get through with minimal risk.

I think I still have "dedicated" brain cells for 6-1 through 6-6. :)

The closest thing to CRAK levels of unfair in FF:RK right now is Level 5 Death, because max levels are always a multiple of 5. If the spell worked "correctly," it would be a 100% full party wipe every time it was used against you. (Fortunately, it wasn't designed correctly.)

Things like back-to-back-to-back Tsunami aren't exactly fair either, but that's like getting five Wizards to show up when you're going after the FF1 Crown instead of one.

Yeah, at this point I'm pretty much just babbling because there's at least another hour and fifteen minutes before the game comes back up. ;)

20. Dailon80

Dailon80 Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2014
    Program Director/Radio DJ
    Eos
    I agree with you 100% yes I can't complete every challenge but I don't care just enjoying the battles from all the games and using diff characters etc haven't spent a dime play everyday and I understand the super hard stuff is for those who are spending a lot of money. This game is totally fair to me and I do not expect to win everything not that I care anyway just enjoying a well made game for true FF fans!