Universal Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (by DeNA Corp.)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Monztamash, Sep 27, 2014.

1. themostunclean

themostunclean Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2012
    I don't know how bad they are. I've only played a little but for the most part they seem to just be basic fan service and nostalgia. Not much is given away about the actual plot of the games but they use enemies, backgrounds and still shots from the games that are referenced. Like I said, haven't played much though.

2. chombiekay

chombiekay Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2013
    hi mates. as a person who's only played maybe 4 of the final fantasy games to completion (II, III, VII, VIII) is there a way to turn off the spoilers? i really want to like this game! but i'm afraid that i noticed they would talk about specific battles and what led to it during the fights. i eventually plan on playing all the final fantasy games...

does anyone else have this issue?

3. hitmantb

hitmantb Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2011
    #103 hitmantb, Mar 26, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2015
    Well, he clearly missed "Brave Frontier" in Japanese on the top grossing chart. I merely corrected his mistake. Opinions are opinions, but facts are facts.

I am just disappointed TA finally gave 5-star to a freemium game but it is mediocre at best. SNES graphics, terrible loading time, clunky UI, outdated combat system, single player only (how is this a social RPG again?) which defeats the biggest advantage of a mobile game with constant connection. Look, there are a lot of movies/music/games I loved, they were dominant 10-20 years ago, best of the best at the time when they were released, but they are not competitive against today's entertainment options.

This would be my last comment, deleted and moved on. I didn't get into Brave Frontier which I consider to be a superior game (especially once you discount FF IP/franchise), I gave this a try because of the 5-star review, and my conclusion is the reviewer never played any of the top freemium games (especially Brave Frontier) for more than a few hours.

4. H4nd0fg0d

H4nd0fg0d Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2010
    Rlly wanted to play this, scratch tht. Just continues to be hung up on the 'now loading' screen. Whatev.

5. Dankrio

Dankrio Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jun 3, 2014
    And my conclusion is that you should get a life.

6. James

James Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2008
    Quick question. When you start out two separate lines of story events are unlocked and as you clear one it unlocks another. After I cleared FFV North Mountain (9 Difficulty) no new story event was unlocked (in gameplay—I didn't read the message) and now I only have one active story arc. Is this normal or has some kind of bug cut out half of my storyline progression?

7. CrazedJava

CrazedJava Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 2015
    Was having that problem earlier but seems to be working now.

Maybe too many people trying to connect?

8. smegly

smegly Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2012
    NY, NY
    #108 smegly, Mar 26, 2015
    Does anyone have an educated guess as to how hard this would hit someone's data limit? My phone no longer can connect to wifi so it's kind of easy for me to go through the 2 gigs or whatever it is on my plan if I play a lot of online stuff.

I'm not talking about the downloads that occur when you access new areas for the first time so much as the other information transfer.

EDIT: Eh, NVM. I'll just play this on my wife's iPad.

9. sivad

sivad Well-Known Member

Mar 28, 2013
    #109 sivad, Mar 26, 2015
    Opinions are opinions, your words. Reviewer gave 5 stars because he enjoyed the game, his "opinion". Just because it differs with yours doesn't make it wrong.

I enjoy this game very much, without the fF theme it wouldn't have been on my phone, so I guess that's a nostalgic 5/5 for me too, but for me and others, a game doesn't have to dominate the market to be a fun and enjoyable game, it must be fun and enjoyable, and I believe that is why the reviewer gave the game a 5/5.

10. James

James Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2008
    Not sure what to make of all the Brave Frontier conversation here. There's only so much positive to say about Puzzles & Dragons and the games it heavily inspired like Brave Frontier. Too much of the game balance in those titles depends on frustrating players in order to encourage spending to speed progress, and that is anathema to an enjoyable game experience. Even if Brave Frontier is a bit better in terms of balance and generosity, it's not different enough to warrant great praise.

Judging from the content written on Touch Arcade so far it sounds like FFRC is far better balanced, albeit with similar game mechanics and definitely similar concern coming to play in the equipment gatcha. It's really great to have a review from five months experience confirming that balance.

In any case, I *definitely* wouldn't go out of my way to defend a game like Puzzles & Dragons or Brave Frontier by trolling in the discussion page for another game.

11. Shaun Musgrave

Shaun Musgrave Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2013
    Freelance writer, teacher, business owner
    Ibaraki, Japan
    Funnily enough, the problem was that in replying at 4 in the morning while half-awake, I used AppAnnie's top iPad charts instead of checking the chart on my phone. Anyway, you're right, it's still there and still higher and therefore by your weird logic, it must be the better game. I was wrong there and I can own that.

Sorry this one didn't resonate for you the way it has for others. I've played this and BF a ton and I like this one better even beyond the brand, which has value in and of itself even if people like to discard that aspect. I could see someone going the other way, especially if they're carrying certain inherent biases like the one you seem to have for classic gaming, though.

But let's look at the deal - you (in my opinion unfairly) chastised us in a very disrespectful manner for not directing our full attention to the kinds of games you like. Then we do major coverage on a release that ostensibly falls in the wheelhouse you prefer, and now you're once again complaining (and again in a very rude way) that it's not one of the specific games you like. Well, I'm sorry, hitmantb, but maybe we're not the place for you? You don't like the way we cover anything, you act like the arbiter of taste for everyone and belittle people, staff and fellow members alike, for doing or liking anything that doesn't fit your gameplan.

I like that you ask tough questions that get people who are just as closed minded as you, but in the opposite way, thinking. But I like that inasmuch as it might lead to minds opening a little and a bit more mutual understanding. I sense you're not actually interested in that goal and just want to stir the beans. I don't care for that kind of thing, personally, but I'm just another member here, so shouganai.

I *would* appreciate, as a fellow member, if you could at least hold yourself back from armchair psychoanalysis on why people like what they do and simply accept that human beings can have different experiences with art like video games, and all of those perspectives are equally valid and worthy of some common respect. I don't believe you're actually capable of contributing to the community here in that way, though, so I won't hold my breath.

Anyway, back to the game. If you want to reply, feel free to PM me.

12. Shaun Musgrave

Shaun Musgrave Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2013
    Freelance writer, teacher, business owner
    Ibaraki, Japan
    It jumps from game to game as you play through. Other than the beginning, you'll usually only have one choice to advance the story. Be careful that the other branch is actually closed off and not just missing its "new" sign, but you've probably just got onto the rails that will carry you through the next long while.

13. sivad

sivad Well-Known Member

Mar 28, 2013
    I really like how this game chose a different route with the lottery chest system giving out the gear as oppose to giving out different rarities of characters. It gives you a reason to want to finish and complete the missions and a feeling that by doing so you are accomplishing or heading towards a goal.

That said I'm going to go gem shopping cause I need clouds sword :)

14. H4nd0fg0d

Mar 30, 2010
    I have now conceded and give up. Now when it loads I'm being thrown a system error. Have uninstalled and reinstalled. Nothing changes, it won't let me play. Lol. I'm 8.1.2 Iphone 6.

15. blackbear219

blackbear219 Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2012
    I had a few connection issues earlier in the day. The game JUST launched for us, give them a few days to iron out the kinks and it will be fine.

16. H4nd0fg0d

Mar 30, 2010
    Ya, I get that. Lol. I'm not spastic mate. Just want to have a go at it.

17. TurboRuhland

TurboRuhland Member

Jun 22, 2012
    I've a feeling that I'm going to get sucked into this game hard. I've been playing P&D for almost 2 years, so if I can stick with that for that long I feel like this ones gonna be a keeper. (Lol pun)

I've decided not to reroll because it doesn't sound like there's much else to use mythril on but rolls anyway, so I'll eventually end up with good stuff.

I do wish there was a music player. I'd have it on and just listen to the tracks.

18. Hambo12

Hambo12 Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2012
    on the internet
    I need clouds sword right now!

19. Xexist

Xexist Well-Known Member

May 6, 2010
    Canada
    Enjoying this a fair amount, though if there was a $5 or $10 option to remove stamina, I would gladly pay it.

I enjoy(ed) P&D, but this I am enjoying much more.

20. sivad

sivad Well-Known Member

Mar 28, 2013
    The stamina refills very quickly I think, but I usually only play in like 15 min chunks so I might not be giving a fair assessment