Final Fantasy IX Question

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by CygnetSeven, Dec 24, 2020.

1. CygnetSeven

CygnetSeven Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2010
    Hey guys,
    I could not find a thread for FF9 so rather than hijack another thread I'll leave my question here.

I'm getting FF9 for Christmas and I have the option of Switch or iOS. Any feedback or comparison of which one is better? I know sometimes these ports can be lazy and not all are equal. I'm leaning towards Switch for the controls but I realize that touch might have it's advantages. Any guidance would be appreciated.

2. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Haven’t played it on Switch, but the iOS port is excellent. The load times are way better that in the PSX version (which I played on a Vita) and the cleaned up visuals are very nice.

Your question prompted me to do a bit of research, and I found the cross-platform review below. TL/DR: the Switch port didn’t fare well.

PewPewOnYou likes this.
  3. PewPewOnYou

PewPewOnYou Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2020
    Male
    USA
    My answer’s the same as squarezero’s. I love the iOS version, however, I played the PS version on the console (I don’t know if the psx version on the Vita was any different). I play on my iPhone X and the touchscreen controls take nothing away from the experience. I was afraid the smaller screen would frustrate me but the difference in controls was quickly forgotten. I’d have to admit- the iOS iteration was actually easier for me to get into. There’s also something special about knowing that I have FF in my friggin’ pocket.

4. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Just like with the PSP, Vitas can play PSX games that have been repackaged as ISO’s — Sony used to sell them on their digital store. So the FFIX on Vita was exactly the same as the one on PS1.

And yeah — I usually find these big games to be more accessible on my phone.

PewPewOnYou likes this.
  5. CygnetSeven

CygnetSeven Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2010
    You guys are awesome, I know these ports are hit and miss. I greatly appreciate the feedback. You both saved me from making a mistake. I owe you both a shake.

PewPewOnYou likes this.