Final Fantasy Games on Sale!

Discussion in 'Price Drops, Must-Have Freebies, and Deals' started by Dailon80, Nov 18, 2014.

1. Dailon80

Dailon80 Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2014
    Program Director/Radio DJ
    Eos
    Square Enix currently has a sale on all Final Fantasy games.
    Final Fantasy VI 10.99
    Final Fantasy IV 7.99
    Final Fantasy II 3.99
    Final Fantasy III 7.99
    Final Fantasy V 7.99
    that's just a few I included here

2. smes3817

smes3817 Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2009
    Massachusetts, USA
    I know this isn't acceptable but I've never played a FF game before. In fact, I've never really given most RPGs a chance. I'm HUGE into the Zelda franchise and that type of gameplay though. Do any of these fit that mold somewhat? Are any FF game a must-play over the others?

3. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    ^I'd say 1, 5 and 6 are must-plays, but none of the FF titles are zelda-ish.

4. indalico

indalico Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2011
    ohio
    Final Fantasy Dimensions on sale too? I know IAP are hard to track but the full game there is $7.99 and the description says 50% off. I missed that sale the first time and I may get it this time.

5. zergslayer69

zergslayer69 Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2010
    6 is an absolute must. 4 is pretty good also. As much as I love 5, I felt it had this cookie cutter feel, more so than it's predecessors. Maybe that's because I haven't played 5 in forever so I forgot the details.

Anyways long story short, make 6 your top priority purchase.

Edit: The question I have is, are any of these incompatible with ios 8? For example the world ends with you currently does not work at all with ios 8. But I've read square is working on fixing some of their other titles.

6. unlimitedfury

unlimitedfury Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2014
    They should all be good to go with iOS 8. Most of their games that aren't say they're working on it, which doesn't include FF games. FF 6, in my opinion, is one of the greatest RPGs ever made, but Zelda it is not. Gameplay is what drives Zelda, story drives Final Fantasy.

7. Pipipitchu

Pipipitchu Well-Known Member

May 4, 2013
    Civil Servant
    Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
    Play Oceanhorn if you want something like Zelda.

8. sugimulm

sugimulm Well-Known Member

Question, is No. 6, number 3 in the US and released on SNES?

9. Jake7905

Jake7905 Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2013
    Excellent question. Does anyone know how these IOS FF's line up with the SNES versions? I bought the IOS FF 4 assuming it was the SNES FF 2, though I haven't played it yet.

10. Shaun Musgrave

Shaun Musgrave Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2013
    Freelance writer, teacher, business owner
    Ibaraki, Japan
    Sure, no problem.

FF1 iOS = FF1 in all forms. This version is based on PSP version.
    FF2 iOS = NES FF2 (Japan) *not* SNES FF2. Also named FF2 on PS1, GBA, and PSP. This version is based on PSP version.
    FF3 iOS = NES FF3 (Japan) *not* SNES FF3. Also named FF3 on DS, PSP, and PC. This version is based on the DS version.
    FF4 iOS = SNES FF2. Also named FF4 on PS1, GBA, DS, and PSP. This version is based on the DS remake.
    FF5 iOS = SNES FF5 (Japan). Also named FF5 on PS1 and GBA. This version was created for mobiles.
    FF6 iOS = SNES FF3. Also named FF6 on PS1 and GBA. This version was created for mobiles.
    FF4 The After Years iOS = A sequel to FF4. Originally released in Japan on feature phones, then ported to the Wii and PSP. The iOS version is an original version created for mobiles in the style of the FF4 DS remake.
    FFD = Dimensions was originally released on Japanese feature phones and later ported to smartphones.

To those asking, which should I buy?

If you want a good story, FF6 is the best choice. If you want a lot of character customization and fun party-building, FF5 is the best choice. If you want a good balance of the two, FF4 offers that in its remade form. Most folks agree on 1/4/5/6's quality if not their specific ranking. 2 is the series black sheep. The After Years isn't terribly well-liked either. 3 and Dimensions are alright but in my opinion, they're missing a certain something.

11. Anotherkellydown

Anotherkellydown Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Bronze

Extremely helpful! Thank you!

12. Pipipitchu

Pipipitchu Well-Known Member

May 4, 2013
    Civil Servant
    Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
    I've been waiting for someone to tell me this my whole life.

13. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    the SNES FF3 (FF 6 on iOS) is one of the few FF games that I actually finished. It was good from start to finish, although 5 is great for party building. On the overall whole, I would recommend FF6 as the one must get out the group if you have to choose just one.

14. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Sigh.. of course 6 has to be the most expensive. Aside from that, what are people's opinions on the 6 REMAKE. I saw the original on the emulators and it looks so much better but obviously I can't run that without a Jailbreak so I'm thinking of getting FF6.

15. Shaun Musgrave

Jul 8, 2013
    Ibaraki, Japan
    I'm not a fan of the new sprites (I felt the more bright and colorful sprites fit FF5's comparatively upbeat story well, but they're a poor match for FF6's darker story), but other than that, I'm pretty happy with the mobile version of FF6. The menus take some getting used to, but I'm glad to have the proper music back after the remixes in the GBA version.

16. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Yeah I think the first thing I noticed was how overly bright they are. I thought it would have a darker atmosphere like it looked in the original. I'm a little confused how they went with that. No one commented on it at all?

Also it seems these sprite based games don't look very good on the iphone 6 / 6+ according to the comments. They say the game looks pretty blurry now. That actually may stop me from buying it. I'm sure the 3D ones won't have too much of a problem.

17. Shaun Musgrave

Jul 8, 2013
    Ibaraki, Japan
    I can't guess at the reasoning behind going with brighter colors. I *can* tell you that the new sprites were designed by the same woman who designed all of the old FF sprites, so it was obviously a stylistic choice rather than being something out of their control.

I could imagine the sprite-based ones looking worse on larger screens, especially the 6+. FF1 and FF2 probably look like heck. 5/6 are at least designed for the iPhone 5's screen size, so they're not having to expand quite so much on the bigger screens. I could still see them getting a bit more blurry though. Depends on how much that sort of thing gets at you.

18. sugimulm

sugimulm Well-Known Member

Arigato Gozaimasu!!!!

19. pouffie

pouffie Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2013
    Don't buy FF6 yet!!!!
    They will make an even better offer during the Xmas sale!
    I have been had last year when they discounted FF5 during Thanksgiving and then made an even bigger discount for Christmas...
    Not falling for that again

20. vii-Lucky

vii-Lucky Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2013

Screw you!