Universal FINAL FANTASY (by SQUARE ENIX INC)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Eli, Feb 9, 2016.

1. Yerti1

Yerti1 Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Aug 8, 2012
    So far the quality is great. I'm running it on a Mini 3, and at the start of cutscenes I can't notice a small frame rate issue, but I imagine restarting my iPad may help this. However, even if it didn't help, it doesn't take away from the game at all. 1-2 seconds and it's fully smooth

2. Canthar

Canthar Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2012
    Thanks for the impression. Would be using a 6+ here. Haven't played this game in a long time.

3. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    #83 L.Lawliet, Feb 9, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2016
    As happy as I am we get this, FF8 is one of my favorite RPGs ever (I know a lot of you guys hate it). I have no idea why they skipped it. They've been going through each number and then decided to jump past 8? I don't get it. I hope they left an explanation that I missed as that really irritates me with SQE - making weird decisions with their mobile apps. I'm thinking it'll never come since they just glossed over it without any mention.

Yeah.. No.

4. lilneo

lilneo Well-Known Member

Feb 28, 2012
    Work in State Government
    México
    Support widescreen for iPhone 6 Plus? Or just have black bars on both sides?

5. Seiza616

Seiza616 Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2012
    How about some actual GAMEPLAY impressions....anyone?

6. Psac42

Psac42 Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2011
    Here's another "this or..." question -- this or Chaos Rings 3 now that it's patched?

Never played this on any platform.

7. Taeles

Taeles Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Aug 5, 2011
    square didnt release the final fantasies in order, was liek 1, 2, 5, 4, 3, 6, 7, and now 9. the reason they havent released 8 before 9 is because 9 was infinitely more popular. i am quite fond of 8, was the last final fantasy i played through beginning to end, but even i will admit its spell system was a grind and its monster leveling system screwed me over royally because i did every damn thing possible in the game, was completely overly maxed out which meant so was ultimecia(sp) which made her a royal pain in the.... beep.

id expect 8 will follow, they seem to be porting these at a pretty decent pace. now whether they will give it the extra polish they gave 9 or if they'll just spit it out of a bucket like they did 7, that remains to be seen.

8. Taeles

Taeles Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Aug 5, 2011
    9 has a more standard rpg combat system, chaos rings 3 is... unique and you'll either love it or hate it. i suspect there is more to do in 9 though, my wife put hundreds of hours in to the game on the psone persuing every damn little thing heh.

9. TeddyCore

TeddyCore New Member

Feb 9, 2016
    #89 TeddyCore, Feb 9, 2016
    The game itself runs great. All 3D models and environments (like the battle arenas) are higher resolution and look really crisp. The 2D backgrounds however, are pretty much untouched from the original PSX release, which can be a bit jarring against the 3D stuff. You get over that quickly though.

The game runs at a mostly stable 30fps, and the onscreen controls work really well. I especially like that all the menus, both party/item management and in fights have been remade for mobile with bigger, touch-friendly targets, and you can navigate them by tapping directly on the prompts, rather than using an on screen D-Pad like FFVII did.

The music and sound quality is also better than the FFVII mobile port. Sounds just like the PlayStation original.

Seems like a solid port overall.

10. Bunion

Bunion Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2011
    Disappointing that MFI support is totally wonky, hopefully they will sort it out soon.

11. Dailon80

Dailon80 Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2014
    Program Director/Radio DJ
    Eos
    I like VIII the best too I recently found my copy on ps one and I only had disc 1 so I'm hoping for it bad! Wish they hadn't skipped it either. But I'm glad for 9 I want to discriminate I want them all :)

12. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Me too! I want them all. But then again.. not sure how they can fit FFX on mobile. It's going to be gigantic and it'll probably benchmark for fasting burning battery ever. FFX is when they went super crazy with graphics and then added voice acting. FFX is probably one of my top 3 FF games.

They're both amazing games. CR3 is made specifically for mobiles and is probably the best original RPG experience you will find on any mobile device imo as a huge RPG enthusiast. Also controls are excellent since it's made for mobile specifically. FF9 is a port of an incredible PS1 game - you should probably just read up online reviews on the game itself and see if you would prefer it. And FF9 mobile seems like double the size for your device so you'll have to make even more room.

Thanks for the response. That does give me some hope for 8. I was basing my assumptions off their recent release pattern but hopefully they do go backwards. If 8 came out I would buy it no questions asked. 9 is good but I'll have to look through my game library and see if I have space for it. Not in any rush at the moment.

13. NickyNichols

NickyNichols Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2012

I seriously doubt 9 was more popular. It came out on a dying PS1. FF8 sold 8 million to FF9's 5 million.

14. Yerti1

Yerti1 Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Aug 8, 2012
    I've always been a hardcore final fantasy fanatic, ever since FF1. FFVIII is one of my least favorite of the entire bunch. IX is held in very high regard.

15. Yerti1

Yerti1 Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Aug 8, 2012
    #95 Yerti1, Feb 9, 2016
    I have the Stratus SteelSeries and the buttons aren't working either. I'm gonna look and see if there's any new drivers.

EDIT: My controller is up to date already, and I don't have a fix for only the joystick working correctly.

16. Hambo12

Hambo12 Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2012
    on the internet
    I wonder if them releasing FF9 today will affect the sales of adventures of mana. it hasn't even been a week since that was released

17. heringer

heringer Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2011
    Where did you get that order? After releasing Final Fantasy and Final Fantasy 2 the release order was exactly 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 and 9.

18. Montanx

Montanx Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2012
    San Diego
    After 7 they could have followed up with stick figure graphics and it would have sold well. 9 was in a bad spot to sell like you said, but is universally considered a top tier FF game.

19. grenadedodger

grenadedodger Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2010
    Manchester, UK
    just a quick follow up from my previous post and a bit of advice for us 16giggers. If you haven't plugged your phone into itunes for a while I suggest you do so and have a look at both your documents & data and other bars. mine was huge, just backed up the phone, reset and restored from back up... my storage went from 600mbish free to 6.46gb free!!!

20. curtisrshideler

curtisrshideler Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2011
    Male
    Video Producer/Editor
    Texas
    Yeah, I figured we'd have to wait until the end of the month at least! I don't get it. These Final Fantasy ports should be major releases, accompanied by fanfare and advertising. AND, I would imagine they would release on a normal release day to get some spotlight. But most of them have just dropped on the App Store on random days, right? Makes no sense to me. But, I got them both, so it doesn't matter for those of us who plan on getting most of their premium releases. Hope they both sell well anyway!