[Fighting game production] Gathering your experience

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by c0re, Feb 9, 2010.

?

Which martial art would you love to master ?

1. Muay Thai

8 vote(s)
    26.7%
  2. Ninjutsu

5 vote(s)
    16.7%
  3. Taekwondo

4 vote(s)
    13.3%
  4. Tai Chi Chuan / Qi Gong Jin

1 vote(s)
    3.3%
  5. Jeet Kun Do

1 vote(s)
    3.3%
  6. Pencak Silat

1 vote(s)
    3.3%
  7. Boxing

4 vote(s)
    13.3%
  8. Shaolin Kung Fu

4 vote(s)
    13.3%
  9. I don't like martial arts / fighting games

2 vote(s)
    6.7%
  1. c0re

c0re Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2009
    #1 c0re, Feb 9, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2013
    Hi there, fellow TA members !

It's no news that I'm building a fighting game for the appstore.

I kept silent for a long time about it, because I simply don't like to talk about unfinished projects. Please forgive me for not sharing all the details, but I feel it's better like that, at least for now :)

So let me ask you something that will have its importance during the dev process : it will use several Martial Arts. Which one is your favorite ?

I mean .. The one that you would feel yourself in synergy with, in a real life competition !

2. Bmamba

Bmamba Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2009
    Game dev
    Canada
    What your game look like? Do you have an ideas of the release date?
    is it 2d or 3d? final fight like or streetfighter like ?

I vote for muay thai

3. c0re

c0re Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2009
    Hello Bmamba,

Sorry, I did reference my sig's link in short brackets, but wasn't very clear.
    Even if the actual game itself is not the main focus of the thread, I put a more visible link in the first lines of original post ;)

I prefer not to fix any release date yet, because I don't want to deceive anybody. But my personal objective is Q2/Q3 2010.

Thanks for voting !

Cheers

4. JoshyLee

JoshyLee Active Member

Nov 5, 2009
    I'm voting for Shaolin Kung Fu because I wanna be more like a firebender.

5. Bmamba

Bmamba Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2009
    Game dev
    Canada
    Thanks for the link... Interesting game

you do it all Alone?
    Are you french?

6. c0re

c0re Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2009
    Thanks !

Yes,
    and yes ;)

Heheh :D
    Actually, I had more spectacular videos of kung fu, but I found this one to be the most realistic (realtime combat).

7. c0re

c0re Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2009
    Hmm, seems like there's not so many fighting game fans out there :)
    Maybe those questions are too much specific..
    Well, nevermind ;)

8. chickdigger802

chickdigger802 Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2009
    Atlanta GA
    #8 chickdigger802, Feb 10, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2010
    1. definitely VF5. The way the game flows and controls. So simple yet so complex =)
    2. Nah, as long as your core gameplay is good.
    3. I guess the feeling of winning a spar is nice. That feeling that all that training lead to some results is a great feeling =)

btw: how the hell are you gonna translate complex fighting game controls to a system with no buttons. You could go gestures, but I don't believe that's what you are looking for.

That gameloft soul caliber ripoff played pretty decently but showed the limitation of touch interface for a fighting game. Hope your approach isn't just 'virtual buttons/pad'.

It definitely needs to support some online function or bluetooth.

Or a super detailed beat em up would be nice too. Or a tourney style like karate kid game on nes =)

edit: Just saw your gameplay video. Reminds me of that stage in Tekken 5. The hitboxes could use some work, and the 'punch' animation seems kinda too fast?

9. c0re

c0re Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2009
    #9 c0re, Feb 10, 2010
    Thanks chickdigger for your return :)

This is not the first time someone finds comparisons with Tekken, which is very pleasing, thank you.

Ok let's take everything in order :
    Yeah love Virtua Fighter ! I'm a big fan too.
    (I even bought VF5 last week to study it)

Also, I can see what you mean by winning a spar. It can be even more satisfying than winning a competition as we are more relaxed, therefore more efficient imho ;)

For the controls, I'm using D-pads over gestures by choice, because I want the most reactive possible interface. Actually my fingers are thick, and there's no problem dashing or comboing as you can see ^^
    There will special controls, I cannot tell yet, but be sure the interface will exploit the most of touch controls and contextual buttons.

There will beonline & bluetooth multiplayer, indeed ;)
    (one mode in a new way, more edge connection friendly, I would even say)

Thanks for the hitbox input. I realize now that the idle animation has a too much large box, I'll work it.
    One difficulty though is that in order not to make some characters untouchable because of their pose, I have to normalize some hitboxes. For example, an idle ninja would be nearly crouched, even in standing pose.
    If you adjust his hitbox to his proper bounds, this would make standing hits uneffective against him, which would break the game. And if all the chars should be fully straight standing to make their hitbox correct, this would lead to a static, pillar-like visual impression (which is one of the things I don't like in VF5, speaking of that).
    But I'll find a way to make it nice.
    About the punches, I recently completely reworked timing, range and speed, based on a normalized Excel table, then using it for calculating every char own animations upon custom stats.
    Result now is gamechanging, and mathematically ensures that everyone is nicely balanced.

Also, as you seem to know martial arts irl, don't hesitate to suggest other cool videos about sports listed here ;)

Cheers

10. Aurora

Aurora Well-Known Member

You should change it to general Kung Fu, not specifically Shaolin Kung Fu.
    Anyway it would be totally awesome to have a game based on the novel 天龙八部 Tianlongbabu (Demi-gods and Semi-devils), one of the best martial arts novel ever, using all of the sects of martial arts.

11. c0re

c0re Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2009
    #11 c0re, Feb 10, 2010
    I understand what you mean by this difference, but ingame will be Shaolin kung fu ;)
    (inspired by its poses, spirit, speed, etc)

Never heard about this novel, I'll throw it an eye, thanks.

________

Then, even if it's a bit early for the poll results to make an opinion, I'm already finding it very, very interesting.

For example, I never expected boxing to be that popular, as generally people are more inclined to prefer flashy sports, like Kung Fu or Taekwondo.

It's a good surprise, can't wait to see what it would look like 20-30 votes later :)

Be sure those results have their importance : If I find that globally a sport is more popular that I expected to be, I will drive a lot more its animation personality to popular figures (Tyson for example, with boxing), instead of (still highly refined) neutral core techniques.

12. uSICu

uSICu Well-Known Member

May 2, 2009
    Construction
    Oklahoma
    Boxing has been and always will be one of my favorite sports, but I don't know how well it would translate into a video game compared to other fighting styles. It would still make for a fun character, ala Street Fighter's Balrog. Still my favorite fighter :D

13. c0re

c0re Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2009
    #13 c0re, Feb 10, 2010
    Yeah, boxing is very powerful :D

Actually, I used this sport for a Thuggish char, because this is just what I recensed the most in all those street fight vids I saw.

The sport itself has a good range, and a nice speed, which is fairly adapting itself infight. A lot of waist moving involved, indeed ;)

For the kicks, I mixed it up with capoeira/breakdance inspired moves.

Who said a BBoy can't fight ? ;)

Once again people, if you know really cool videos about those sports, don't hesitate to post it here.

14. chickdigger802

Apr 14, 2009
    Atlanta GA
    #14 chickdigger802, Feb 10, 2010
    Also wondering how you are going to implement different 'joystick movements' like 236,623,41236, and other commands to work accurately on a touchpad? This game is looking really promising, keep it up =)

Give me a shout out if ya need any beta testing =)

I don't really look into videos about these sports, but you should check out a few classics films like 'once upon a time in china' or the more recent 'Ip man'.

If you could get the 'hitting sound' from the old classic chinese kung fu films into this game, I'd easily give it 5 stars =)

15. c0re

c0re Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2009
    Thanks for the cheering ;)
    Actually, there won't be quarter, semi or dragon punch like movement. The special moves will take as much time to perform (~0.2 sec), but in an easier way, like just the matter 2 button pushes.
    I realized that after all, a lot of people do master those 236 stick tricks, so the only parameter to check is the duration to perform it ^^

Thanks, that's cool :)

Yeah I saw all the "once upon in China", twice each :p
    But didn't know of Ip Man ! I'll check it out !

16. chickdigger802

Apr 14, 2009
    Atlanta GA
    Oh ya The Protector is also another film perfect for reference for your game =)

Tony Jaa is pretty amazing.

17. cubytes

cubytes Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2009
    if your interested i posted a LOT of ideas about 2D fighter controls on a multi touch screen device, i put a lot of thought and effort into the post but if you can use some of these ideas by all means go for it :)

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=43503

18. Random_Guy

Random_Guy Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2009
    Australia, mate!
    Pencak Silat sounds game.

19. c0re

c0re Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2009
    #19 c0re, Feb 11, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2010
    Yes, Tony Jaa is really awesome !
    He's inspiring me a lot for the Muay Thai in-between-strikes poses.

Hello Cubytes, I just finished to read your topic, and there are great ideas, I admit.
    Unforunately, I already locked up the controls gamedesign. In fact, the reason why I didn't use gesture moves is because I want the fastest, most reactive controls, coupled with the easiest learning curve. I didn't found anything but those good ol' buttons to fit it best ;)
    There's also a reason that forces me to use visual buttons, deeply anchored into combat mechanics and balance, but I cannot talk about it for now.
    Anyway thanks for the suggestions, and I'm sure some developer out there is already taking inspiration of it, right now ;)

Yes, I discovered this martial art recently, as I only heard of it before.
    It gots a very savage feeling in its movements, with sick grabs and fast action.
    Wolverine would love it :p
    Actually I find it to be a bit underestimated, and unfairly unpopular.

Also, I'm a bit surprised that nobody choosed Jeet Kun Do, as it was Bruce Lee's created martial art ;)

edit : seems like it's fixed now :p

20. c0re

c0re Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2009
    Reoriented the title and the initial post to a better focused discussion about the listed Martial Arts.

Tehhyaaaaa !