[Fighting Game] Kinetic Damage

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by KineticDamage, Jul 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tso5818

tso5818 Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2011
    iANiMeX's left ear
    I read everything 'woosh', so let's talk about free roam. How will that be? What would it look like? My meaning, how would you be able to free roam? Side walking? Lol.

2. KineticDamage

KineticDamage Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    #22 KineticDamage, Aug 16, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2012
    Thank you for your interest :)
    Haha, well maybe english not being my mother tongue is getting me back :p
    By "free roam", I mean being able to chose between different fight events in a "point of interest" based interface (= at a time, 5 different events pop, you can chose one out of 5). Like a virtual roaming between different places where you can participate in different fight types. Not actually walking, though (Ok the word roam is a bit confusing I admit, I'll edit that thanks :) )

Each of these fight types will have a different risk/reward formula, each reward being designed to motivate participating in another event type. I can't say more for now, but the goal was to bring both freedom and choice in the way you'll make your character evolve through fights.

3. bigrand1

bigrand1 Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    How long before release? Been waiting a while now and want to get this!!!

4. tso5818

tso5818 Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2011
    iANiMeX's left ear
    Lol, your welcome.
    I was looking forward to it being free roam, like I was thinking it would look like in my head lol, but all and all. I love how it looks.

When I watched the video. A part looked weird, the DJ guy, that you could only see his back. He turned a bit and look like he was rubber? Haha. Need to change that :). Keep up the great work.

5. KineticDamage

Jul 27, 2012
    #25 KineticDamage, Aug 16, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2012
    The good old "when it's done" adage could be used indeed, but I'm working my ass off to make it available during September ;)

Thank you :) Ideally I would have loved to make a real free roam (that's how it popped at first in my mind at least), but for it not to look like some sort of gimmick, it would need some huge gamedesign features to make it useful, like RPG elements, big varied maps/interiors, etc. Well that's an idea to keep I'd say !
    I'll look into the DJ ! By rubber do you mean too elastic ?

6. bigrand1

bigrand1 Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    Thanks!

7. MrMojoRisin

MrMojoRisin Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    Need any help testing it?

8. KineticDamage

Jul 27, 2012
    That's kind of you, thanks :) But this shouldn't take enough time to require a whole external beta testing procedure.

9. MrMojoRisin

Jul 27, 2012
    Oh well, thought I'd ask. And about people keeping other apps open, I'll be happy to see something like this run on my phone even I had to close everything else to get it to run well enough.

10. KineticDamage

Jul 27, 2012
    Hi Toucharcaders !

Just a brief update, to say I totally recoded and remade the Char Creator. Now with more intuitive controls, nicer buttons, and most of all a far better memory management (= no more lag because of huge texture/model caching between steps).

This is how you create your own fighter :

11. KineticDamage

Jul 27, 2012
    #31 KineticDamage, Sep 4, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2012
    I forgot to add a video about how I tried to build a different AI :)
    In short, I wanted to create mindgames with the player, and then make him having to think before deciding to strike (or move).
    I also wanted to create very dynamic fights, by trying to make AI emulate brain decisions, using broad personality traits (analysis, reactivity, aggressivity). The dynamism with that is created by tempering those stats with points, like in traditional Pen and Paper RPGs, and by making the AI redistribute these points in real time, according to how its opponent reacts.
    The result is that you will very unlikely have the same AI behaviour during at least 20-30 fights.

All in all, this will be a fighting game where you have to think and observe.

So here it is, how I tried to "humanize" the AI, with voice commentary :
    (make sure to activate subtitles with "CC" button, for written details about how AI "thinks")

12. KineticDamage

Jul 27, 2012
    #32 KineticDamage, Oct 1, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2012
    Still working on the last elements before a release (mainly a proper tutorial and a smooth UI).

But today is the day of Metacortex official release, the soundtrack for Kinetic Damage ! Available on all digital platforms !
    Check out the link, or your favorite digital music store, for an original, pumpin, upliftin experience !

App info is currently processing and/or the app is not yet fully available for sale on the US App Store.

Direct Link

The soundtrack is exploring the uplifting oldschool flavor from 90's games like Streets of Rage, Final Fight, all while adding a very personal, original, futuristic mood.

Check it out !

Kinetic Damage is still planned for October/November (depending on Apple validation delay).

13. Inqalexi

Inqalexi Member

Sep 5, 2012
    Looks great, liked the dynamics and the soundtrack))

14. KineticDamage

Jul 27, 2012
    #34 KineticDamage, Nov 30, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2012
    Long time no see TA ! :)

I just finished the official trailer, which finally unpacks all the game's main features. Hope you'll like it !

I'm planning to submit the game to Apple in late December, so it will come to your devices on early January 2013.

15. jjjmedia

jjjmedia Well-Known Member

May 27, 2009
    Los Angeles, CA
    Looks like it was worth the wait! It's a day one purchase from me! Hope it does really well. Any idea on pricing?

16. VaroFN

VaroFN Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    Looks really cool! Will the player vs player mode be online?

17. KineticDamage

Jul 27, 2012
    I'm glad you like it :)

About pricing :
    The base version will be Free, including 2 martial arts, quick matches and 1 level.

The only IAP will be the full game.
    Will be a bit lower than the "big boys", so you can expect something like 2.99 € (which should translate to 3.30$, don't know Apple exact conversion rates though)

Thanks ! For the release, I don't have enough infrastructure budget to make it online. So Multiplayer will be either Wifi or Device Discovery.

If the game meets success, one of my first plans will be, of course, to update the game with Online servers.

18. KineticDamage

Jul 27, 2012
    Another very good news :

I didn't think it would, but Kinetic Damage is running very smoothly on iPhone 3GS (30fps).
    Seems like these years of obsessive technical optimizations are finally paying of.

19. KineticDamage

Jul 27, 2012
    #39 KineticDamage, Dec 2, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2012
    I also finally rehauled www.kineticdamage.com, as it was showcasing very old pictures of the game.
    Now it's presentable :)

20. MrMojoRisin

Jul 27, 2012
    Wow, that is awesome news. Can't wait for this to come out.