Universal Fighting Fantasy Legends (by Nomad Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by metalwastebasket, Jul 27, 2017.

1. gakuka

gakuka Active Member

Feb 19, 2014
    I've beaten the game and done everything you can do in it, if anyone is stuck let me know on this thread.

First off, I love the game, it's just like the Sorcery games but less linear, and it really resonated with me.

To answer some questions, anything with a bunch of white question marks is random, pulling from a set of about 20 or so possible encounters. You'll learn all the possibilities by the 30th time through town. Gold is hard to come by for a long time and then you're drowning in it. Avoid injuries at all cost, get them healed in a town right away if you get them, and stockpile bandages for emergencies. Also in my opinion you DEFINITELY should take the start of game bonus that lets you avoid curses, curses ruin a bit of the fun for me since you get them in many random encounters.

After that, avoid gambling until you have a lot of luck then only gamble on the game where you alternate luck rolls (money becomes free with a lot of luck upgrades and that luck gambling game).

In the main town there's a path that takes you to a baseball game with a skill check of 2 then an old lady's house where you can pretend to be a tax collector (take a right after the bridge then a left after the baseball game). If you do both those things you get at least 20 gold per run (23 if you have the minstrel play the city of theives song). You can do this a seemingly unlimited number of times and it's an easy route. You can, and should, also buy the chainmail on this route. It's a good way to stock up on gold to do the random grab-bag at the pawn shop, which DEFINITELY helps, providing you have enough money.

Also stock up on health potions from the herbalist at the entrance of town (going straight from the first crossroad), it'll help avoid injuries.

If you do those things you should start to have some fun with the game and really be able to enjoy the storytelling, since you won't be dying all the time :).

2. jgainsbrugh

jgainsbrugh Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2013
    Hey. Loving this game! Anybody know where the church and cure for Vampirism is? ##

3. nkx

nkx Well-Known Member

May 9, 2015
    On a TA review can save this forum and game still on the fence

4. dukat111

dukat111 Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2010
    Anyone know where to find the hag hair?
    I ran around the sewers fighting everything I came across for 2 straight hours and nothing.

5. nkx

nkx Well-Known Member

May 9, 2015
    #25 nkx, Jul 31, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2017
    I don't think too many people are playing this on here. Please share your thoughts regarding the game

6. gmattergames

gmattergames Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2013
    Under a tower, in the SE part of map. No hag in the sewer of main city despite the game giving multiple indications there is. Regardless, sewer is a great place to grind exp and gold.

7. gmattergames

gmattergames Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2013
    Church in center of main city, never see any option to enter, guess you need to be a vamp to gain access.

8. dukat111

Mar 23, 2010
    This is only the second game book I've played besides Sorcery which I stopped playing because I disliked the magic system.

You select your stats at the beginning of the game which costs of allocating points towards Attack and Luck up to 12 points. Each point represents a die. All un-allocated points will add to your Stamina (HP).

Combat and some events use your attack dice, other events use luck dice. You start off with 1 side of each die having a point. As you level up you can add a point to either your attack or luck dice which adds the chance you will roll a non-blank side.

Overall I like the system as I can clearly see the values both my character and the enemy get.

As you explore the map you run across events which are often random card pulls, sometimes giving you a choice, other times requiring a dice roll to get an outcome.

So far I have only come across 1 town that lets you explore it, and 2 other locations that you can explore in detail. All the other towns simply let you rest for a price.

I haven't completed the game yet but think I'm fairly close and if I'm right I think it's on the short side.
    I also wish there were more locations including towns to explore the way you can explore the pirate town.

It's a bit pricey for an iOS game but I'm used to paying $40-60 for PC games so for $5 it's well worth the price for the excellent fit and finish of the game, it just needs more content. Worth a buy in my opinion and I hope enough people buy it to encourage developers to continue making high quality premium games for iOS. Refreshing after a non-stop flood of freemium crystal IAP games.

9. nkx

nkx Well-Known Member

May 9, 2015
    Thanks for the review!

10. Subrom

Subrom Well-Known Member

Aug 18, 2015
    Sydney, Australia
    Bronze keys? Can only find two. 1 in cell. 1 from cyclops. Where is the third?

11. dukat111

Mar 23, 2010
    There is a key merchant in the Port city

12. Eddie Riff

Eddie Riff Member

Aug 1, 2017
    Spoilers

Not wishing to spoil the game...

Nicodemus and the women by the docks actually give you a big clue re Hag's hair.

The random key in Firetop Mountain may be triggered by an event elsewhere...anyone else have suspicion?

The game is very well designed...all the tweaks seem to be significant improvements and prior knowledge needs to be forgotten to succeed.

13. nkx

nkx Well-Known Member

May 9, 2015
    Please be specific about the game is it always the same playthrough?

14. Eddie Riff

Eddie Riff Member

Aug 1, 2017
    It isn't linear. There are multiple solutions to the toughest challenges and multiple strategies. The three character pictures aren't purely cosmetic and the impact of chosen stats at the beginning and chosen special skills impacts the game massively.

15. jaxon58

jaxon58 Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2013
    Game Developer
    Warrington, UK
    There are lots of random elements to the game, but they follow the storylines from the gamebooks so there is some linearity.

16. jaxon58

Feb 15, 2013
    Game Developer
    Warrington, UK
    Glad you like it!
    I'm the designer of the game, from Nomad.

17. Eddie Riff

Eddie Riff Member

Aug 1, 2017
    I don't like it...I love it!

Requests...

Do Cavern of the Snow Witch, Forest of Doom and Temple of Terror next. They follow on quite naturally from each other :)

I've picked up on some of the subtle distinctions between the three hero types. You should have a Mage and a Rogue type too: less points to put into stats but balanced with abilities. The Rogue could get a Bonus luck dice verses traps for instance, and the Mage could have simple spell options before a battle...equivalent with Throwing Dagger or a bonus blue dice for instance.

18. nkx

nkx Well-Known Member

May 9, 2015
    Jaxon I'm still on the fence and have been following the posts and reviews and added information as I'm interested in picking this up as well

19. jaxon58

Feb 15, 2013
    Game Developer
    Warrington, UK
    Glad you love it!
    I'll make a note of your requests. We're still focused on this game, for now, making sure everything works correctly. What we do next with it is mainly based on how successful this game is.

20. jaxon58

Feb 15, 2013
    Game Developer
    Warrington, UK
    Well I hope you do buy it as it allows me to buy more biscuits, but apart from that I'd like to think that you'd enjoy playing it.
    Just read as many reviews as you need. 148apps have done a good review in the last few days. I have sent a copy of the game to Toucharcade but I'm not sure when/if they will review it.