Universal Fighting Fantasy Legends (by Asmodee Digital)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by deresi, Mar 14, 2018.

1. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Yeah it’s there to download (as is Titan Quest) just you know it won’t ever be updated. I’ll keep an eye on this new one to see if theres decent updates in the future.

2. Saucepolicy

Saucepolicy Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Feb 18, 2009
    Crispy ex-game developer
    To piggyback on Eli's comments, it's not a scam, and it irritates me when people automatically jump to that conclusion. It's very important to understand that a publisher is not necessarily the developer of a game and I see gamers conflate the two all the time.

Broadly speaking, what we're seeing are publishers either going out of business or selling off their premium IP since there's no money in it on mobile. Conversely, you have developers who understandably would like their hard work to remain available.

In the AppStore there is no pain-free way to link ownership of a game when it transitions owners like this, because it has to be resubmitted to Apple as a new app. I agree it sucks, but it's on Apple to make the process more consumer-friendly.

3. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Yeah think we know it’s not a scam, just a bit miffed my app I bought won’t be updated. I buy at launch (so the devs get maximum money) and I’m now tempted to wait till much later (as to be fair I have 100s games to play). Like the thrill of getting new apps also the second they’re out

Just frustrating

4. skoptic

skoptic Well-Known Member

Apr 3, 2015
    Wow, so that’s 3 games listed that I own that have moved publisher and my versions have been orphaned. Yep... that’s squarely at the feet of Apple in my book. It will mean less cashmoney from me to their (and devs / publishers coffers). Shame!

5. Oscar Streaker

Oscar Streaker Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2011
    The market can gargle ##

6. Patjelol

Patjelol Active Member

Jun 22, 2017
    #26 Patjelol, Mar 15, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2018
    I've read in articles on different websites that the Talisman app is free for a limited time (which was mentioned by Nomad, who still develop the app). I think I even read it here on Toucharcade.
    So the main Talisman strategy seems to be to create exposure for the new app AND the IAP's by having a free basegame and free expansion every week or so to try. They'll probably sack of the old app when the new one goes paid.

you say that, but the Playdek apps that Asmodee took for publishing never got a new app. Ascension and Twilight Struggle both now have Asmodee as publisher, but never changed apps.

Has something changed within the structure of the App Store?

7. Gwarmaxx

Gwarmaxx Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    NCC 1701
    #27 Gwarmaxx, Mar 15, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2018

i was going to write the same thing, Ascension never changed in the transition and never has any f...ing issue with IAPs.

never understand the people that defend the devs to the bitter end, what do they expect in return, some kind of gift or what? :D:D:D

come on guys, there's a lot of honest and real good indie devs that are thinking about to drop game developing on iOS 'cause sales aren't good at all (i.e. the guys that made Evilibrium, an excelent game, just to name one), and you keep on defending those who don't need it.

edit > regarding Talisman, i've seen Nomad raise its price at $4.99 long after the release of the new version (imho a total insanity :D:D:D) , and then lowered to $3.99 (WOW!!!).

8. cplr

cplr Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011
    An app's ownership (as in the developer) can absolutely, 100%, be transferred to another party.

9. PBSNellie

PBSNellie Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2013
    Southern CA
    OK, someone help me out here. I'm not really into gamebooks, but I do like dice and card games. Does this game have an action component, other than you pick your path and turn the page?

10. MulDeR

MulDeR Well-Known Member

May 22, 2017
    It's not a gamebook. Take a look at this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wA9Yygpk2mM

11. PBSNellie

PBSNellie Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2013
    Southern CA
    #31 PBSNellie, Mar 15, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2018
    Thank you! I couldn't really tell from the screen shots what it was about, but now I think I'll dive in.

Edited: I've been playing this since yesterday. It's a lot of fun. Nice surprise for me as I had never heard of it.