iPad FIGHT: PinBall Dreams vs. ZEN Pinball

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by pante, Feb 2, 2009.

?

Which Pinball is The King of Pinballs in App Store (for now)?

1. PinBall Dreams

91.3%
  2. Zen Pinball

8.7%
  1. pante

pante Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2009
    somewhere
    #1 pante, Feb 2, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 2, 2009
    i see no one compared those titles yet... so here comes the pool. let them fight! after voting leave a reply with pros/cons about 'em. and don't vote if you didn't try both - please it's important.

i really want to buy one pinball game. those two are getting really positive feedback around here, so it's hard to pick just one. :)

thanks,
    pante

[​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Donburns99

Donburns99 Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2008
    ColdFusion Web Developer
    Rhode Island
    #2 Donburns99, Feb 2, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2009
    Go with Pinball Dreams, without a doubt.

You can play in Landscape Mode and you even get 4 tables, as opposed to only 1 table with ZEN.

3. 1337brian

1337brian Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2008
    In My Head
    Well to be honest I haven't tried the zen tables, but i figure 4 for the price of 1 wins everytime right? :)

4. your personal robot

your personal robot Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    nonverbalist
    Berlin
    pro Zen:
    realistic physics, 3D

pro Pinball Dreams:
    alot faster, more fun, more complex, memories, fantasic sound and music, 4 very different tables, landscape mode

Zen is really nice, especially Rollercoaster, but Pinball Dreams is simply a pinball gamers dream :) I already wasted two days again playing it continuously.

5. 1337brian

Oct 12, 2008
    In My Head
    Yep I haven't put it down since I D/L it...

6. pante

pante Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2009
    somewhere
    you are the first person here who wrote something about them here. thanks a lot. waiting for more views :)

7. nickels

nickels Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2008
    Web Developer / Designer
    PA, USA
    I haven't played Pinball Dreams yet, but Zen pinball is terrible. The framerate is bad and the worse part is the flipper lag. For $5 a table the Zen series is a rip-off. They don't add features or fix their games, they just put out another table at the same price.

8. iGewappnet

iGewappnet Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2008
    Mainz, Germany
    I don't get it! Pinball Dreams is only for retro fans, but the ZEN pinball games (we are talking about two games!) are like the Pro Pinball series. The ZEN games are real pinball simulations and Pinball Dreams is just an action game using a ball.

9. Garden Dwarf

Garden Dwarf Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2009
    if you want something technologic, buy zen. If you prefer a good pinball with a lot of fun, don't hesitate, purchase pinball dreams !

I have the 2 zen and Pinball dreams. If I want to show the iphone capabilities I will run zen. Otherwise if I want to PLAY, pinball dreams is the one to have !

10. -=XX=-Nephilim

-=XX=-Nephilim Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 2009
    Pinball Dreams ftw :)

No frekn about with it...

You fire it up and waste life loving it looooong time but for way less than 10 dollars :p

11. your personal robot

Nov 11, 2008
    nonverbalist
    Berlin
    Did you actually play both titles? ;)

12. Donburns99

Donburns99 Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2008
    ColdFusion Web Developer
    Rhode Island
    Well now we know where the 1 vote for ZEN came from. :p

13. Oliver

Oliver Well-Known Member

EXACTLY!! ZEN is just unplayable crap. The framerate is so low, that the ball jumps around. Pinball Dreams is smooth. Makes more fun. And of course: Memories :D. Instead of fixing the problems they released another pinball game with the same problem.

And I really hate the 3D environment in ZEN. There's just no position which gives me the right feeling. And you always see the whole table (which means that you never see details and loose the ball on the top of the table). I love the landscape mode of Pinball Dreams! That where the pinball games I grew up with.

14. blakespot

blakespot Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2008
    Blogger, Reviewer
    Alexandria, VA (USA)
    I disagree. As I said in the review of Pinball Dreams, it is a retro title, but it does not feel like an old game. It has excellent physics and plays well. It doesn't provide a swaying 3D view of the table, as it's not a 3D game. But it's an extremely playable pinball game to any gamer, not just retro fans.

Don't get me wrong. I think Zen Pinball: Rollercoaster / Inferno are lovely titles, and fun. (And Zen's Pinball FX for the X360 is insanely fine.) But Pinball Dreams is a bit more playable, IMHO.

blakespot

15. iGewappnet

Nov 17, 2008
    Mainz, Germany
    Yes, I played Pinball Dreams in the 90's very, very intensively. But then I saw the light (called Pro Pinball) and Pinball Dreams/Fantasy/... seemed several generations too old. The ZEN Pinball games are very similar to the Pro Pinball games.

16. rustyjaw

rustyjaw Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2008
    Zen tries to be like a Pro Pinball game (which is my favorite Pinball series ever) but the framerate is just too slow to succeed. In pinball simulations, framerate is critical because of how important timing is. Zen is certainly a beautiful looking game, but it fails to measure up to simulations like the Pro Pinball games, IMO.

17. TRIPLE BEAM DREAM

TRIPLE BEAM DREAM Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2009
    Door County
  18. your personal robot

Nov 11, 2008
    nonverbalist
    Berlin
    Just play a round Zen directly after a couple of minutes of Pinball Dreams.
    Seems, like a kids game afterwards....way to easy.
    Pinball Dreams is a great challenge. Zen bores me a bit.
    Beautiful looking, no question, but boring and with stupid music.
    And...at the moment, I just love playing in landscape mode...! :)
    No thumbs on the taple...perfect,

19. 1337brian

Oct 12, 2008
    In My Head
    I never played Zen, and just got Pinball Dreams, I was just about to PM you about which Zen to get, but after this post I might just be perfectly happy with what I have already... PD FTW!

20. iGewappnet

Nov 17, 2008
    Mainz, Germany
    I don't have any framerate issues with the current versions of the games (on an iPhone 3G).