iPad Fieldrunners (by Subatomic Studios)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by AznChaos, Oct 5, 2008.

1. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2008
    Freelance Entertainment Analyst
    Orlando, FL
    After playing it for awhile I'd wait for the update to get it. Right now there isn't a lot of content for your money, It's got a lot of style though. I played on easy mode and beat level 100 after an insanely long play session. The waves are fairly easily. I can actually walk away after setting up a maze and without worry.

In mote-m there is a long beta cycle where we keep the game difficult. After level 20 you should notice the difficulty ramps up. That's to keep games short and make sure you aren't slacking with your maze.

I am a TD veteran so I prefer Mote-M because I like top down views, basic graphics, and hard difficulty. Fieldrunnners is more of a casual game. My gf loves it cause "it's cute and I can put down whatever I want and still get really far"

Mote-m 1.2 is going to be out soon (including a lite version) so hopefully that will tide you over until Fieldrunners gets it's next update.

2. fieldrunners_dev

fieldrunners_dev New Member

Oct 6, 2008
    Hi everyone,
    Let me start by thanking everyone for the extremely kind words and high ratings overall. Showing your amazing support motivates us to work double-time and deliver some awesome updates very soon.
    At Subatomic Studios we believe in supporting our products, if you have any issues, wishes or even just more kind words, please feel free to post them in our developer forum at http://www.fieldrunners.com .

We see incredible potential in the iPhone, having the ability to create an iterative process of development that caters more to the desires of the community, rather than the usual highly self-centered approach game developers are forced to take in more traditional models.
    We hope this will make for a much more enjoyable experiece for all involved, and this desire has been the driving force behind our decision to release the
    Fieldrunners now, giving us a chance to hear great feedback from you.

Thanks again for the support and high ratings!

Subatomic Studios

3. Rocketman919

Rocketman919 Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2008
    Cali-forn-i-a
    Im gonna disagree here with VeganTNT and say that this is a better game. I have both mote-m and this, and this i think plays a little better. If you don't car about graphics, then i'd say wait a little, but in a game like this, the graphics matter. The concepts between the two are relatively simple and are the same, so the graphics make it the star here. I'd say get it now and enjoy it, cuz when those updates come you will want it, so why not have it now?

4. NotYou

NotYou Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Colorado
    I agree with you. I bought Mote-m a while back, but never got very into it. Like a few people have said, it gets impossible fast. Fieldrunners is possible to beat, but it takes some real strategy.

It's also a lot more interesting stopping armed people machines from running into a base than it is stopping circles from reaching a hole.

5. rootbeersoup

rootbeersoup Well-Known Member

Oct 4, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    Just finished easy level and I gotta say, it's pretty decent. I'd say it's a pretty well spent $5

DAMN HELICOPTERS THOUGH!! lol

6. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator

Jul 19, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    See, I don't think it plays worse. I just think it's that the difficulty of each wave doesn't go up enough for my taste. I played on all the difficulties but I only liked the hardest mode (even though I had my ass handed to me)

The graphics are my only problem with the game. I love the style and enemies but the 3/4th view means it's harder for me to find gaps in my wall when in a hurry. When all the towers are grouped together it's hard to see what I need to upgrade. The other issue is that my game keeps crashing. I haven't seen anyone else mention this so I'll assume it's because my phone is jailbroken.

I've been playing the new version of mote m for awhile so I suppose that since I know what's coming in the new update my opinion would lean towards mote just because its the kind of TD game I like.

I hope Fieldrunners does open betas cause I'd love to see how the new towers will be implemented.

7. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    I visited the Mote-M forums and was very, very disappointed to find out that Mote-M 1.2 will probably be the last version of the game, at least for some time, and it wouldn't even appear to include sound (I saw no mention of sound being added.) I guess we will never get sound in that game. What is the deal with tower defense games and sound effects? What is so hard about putting sound into these games? It seems ridiculous. Still, I like Mote-M as-is (I like the difficulty and I like that the game doesn't last for forever.) I'm going to pass on Fieldrunners until the price drops and/or the game develops significantly further.

8. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator

Jul 19, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    Actually 1.2 WILL have sound. However the sound will only be when placing towers and making selections in the option screen.

The problem with giving the towers sounds is that the more towers you have firing at once the more the sounds mesh together and become noise. At about 10 fully upgraded tier 1 towers with the new support tower that increases firing speed... it was bad. At about 15 - 20 tower the game crashed from having to load so much at once. Sad but I don't mind cause the confirmation sound when you tap the screen for a tower is all I need with my music playing.

Also, 1.2 won't be the last update. Grant will still be updating, but the updates wont be as big because it will be in between working on a new game.

I appreciate that you like the difficulty too. All of us beta testers are serious TD players so we talked at great lengths about damage and affect rates so that the game put up a fight while letting people new to TD games still have fun and making sure the game didn't last all day. (Though you can do that in 1.2 if you want)

I'm sure Fieldrunner will end up doing the same thing. Remember Mote-M v1.0? It just needed some input from a lot of people to balance it out. With fieldrunner's dev doing such a great job in the production I'm sure the new update will be great.

9. Rocketman919

Aug 8, 2008
    Cali-forn-i-a
    My phone is jailbroken as well, and this is one of the few apps that i have experienced no crashing on. And i kinda agree with you about the view and not seeing gaps, but i like it better than overhead and i just drag a turret over where i think there could be an empty gap, and if there isn't then just let it go and it goes away.

10. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator

Jul 19, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    weird, do you have a lot of things installed? I have things like a MobileME theme, StatusNotifier, QuickGold, NES, and a tethering app.

I know I can't play blue skies 2.0 because it uses 100% of the iphones memory and with mine being jailbroken it won't work.

11. mek

mek Well-Known Member

i wonder if, and this goes out to either the developer or Fieldrunner or Mote-M, as they already have the engine built, or any developer that wants to do it from scratch
    if you could create a multiplayer version of the game...obviously it wouldn't be anything like the concept, but an entirely new spin on the series

connect to other ipods/iphones and play head to heard or on a server like system like galcon

you start out with some points, to build your defensive turrets, and also to build some units...at which you will send to your enemy/the other player
    all whilst your enemy is building turrets, and units to attack you

it would be a different twist on the type of game, if not a new type of game
    but if done correctly, it would be addictive

12. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator

Jul 19, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    I'm actually working on that right now!

I'm doing my own TD game and I just finished the design and backstory portion. For the Multiplayer I have 4 different modes designed with one being similar to what you are talking about.

I have no timeframe at this point since I'm doing it all myself and working from scratch but yes it IS being done =)

13. Don't think this game is very fun on easy level though. I played about 4 to 5 hours of it on medium level last night. I would've played it an hour more but my friend was playing fieldrunners after I showed it to him so he hogged it from me.

The polish FieldRunners has is just astounding in terms of graphics and gameplay. Yes I know there is tons of room for improvement but the core is there and already extremely enjoyable. Got my $5 worth as I'll be playing this one quite a bit.

14. Rocketman919

Aug 8, 2008
    Cali-forn-i-a
    No i learned from past experiences not to have too many things installed, or else..... :(

I keep it to the bare minimum, winterboard, customize, Nes, and maybe a game here and there. Oh yeah, and MAME and Jokes. Boy do i love my jokes.

15. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator

Jul 19, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    well I have winterboard with a sound theme, a global theme, and a charging theme. I'm just updated StatusNotifier and haven't had a crash so I'm assuming that was the problem. That program is THE reason I even deal with a jailbroken phone. It's a godsend

16. hyk

hyk Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2008
    great game but does need sound. I'm gonna stop praising good games before I'm linked to the developers again.

17. Chiller ONE

Chiller ONE Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Nurse
    Sweden
    No Sound?

This looks pretty aweseome but a TD game without sound just isn't as satisfying as it could be.
    I'm waiting until they update this before i buy it.

18. NotYou

NotYou Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Colorado
    I made to level 99 on medium difficulty and the VERY LAST helicopter got me a game over.

It's heartbreaking is what it is.

(BTW, my score was 464, 350)

19. gospel9

gospel9 Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2008
    #79 gospel9, Oct 8, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2008
    I was exactly like you were!
    But I took the plunge and got it ... could not put down my iphone for hours afterwards... seriously, had to play it every chance that I get the next day.

Yes, an update would be VERY nice, but damn, they really nailed it down on everything else.

I showed the app to a few of my friends today and an hour later they went and bought it themselves. No joke :)

Thanks for the awesome game.
    Rarely you find people coming all the way down to the developer forums to tell them how much they love their purchase. This game does exactly that.

20. TheSinMuffin

TheSinMuffin Member

Oct 12, 2008
    Fieldrunners review.

I just did a review on fieldrunners on my site. Mods, if this is againest to the TOS, please delete this. Thank you.