Universal FEZ Pocket Edition (by Polytron)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by psj3809, Dec 13, 2017.

1. farley

farley Well-Known Member

May 5, 2009
    I've heard lots of good things about this game, but I have never played it before.
    Can anyone tell me if it's more platformer or more puzzler?
    FWIW, I don't really go for platformers, where it's maybe clear what to do, but difficult to actually do it, because of things like timing jumps perfectly, etc.
    I prefer puzzlers, where I can take my time to scratch my head and figure things out, then get the AHA! lightbulb moment, and then easily achieve it, and the controls don't inhibit me from doing so.
    Thanks for any replies!

2. y2kmp3

y2kmp3 Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2010
    Very surprised to see this game on mobile!

Agreed that pedigree alone is sufficient to have this to play it, especially if you do not access to the original on PC.

For completionist gamers among us, however, take note that the later puzzles in this game are incredibly difficult, to the point that it was later discovered that some of them could not be completely by a single individual. There are also puzzles that are tied to real-world events. There are many YouTube videos and web articles on this topic already. Even at the risk of minor spoilers, may be worth to take a look before diving deep into this game if you intend to truly complete it.

3. orangecan

orangecan Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2011
    I would say go for it, it's been a while since I played it but I remember a LOT of lightbulb moments and not many frustrating platforming elements. It's more about working out how to use the environment to get to where you want to go than precision platforming.

I also don't remember a great deal of having to replay bits because I died, which is something I don't like with platformers - can't quite remember how it handled saves/lives etc tho.

4. chief78

chief78 Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2012
    I 2nd Orangecan's advice. This is definitely a puzzler.

5. Duke12

Duke12 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2013
    Did you finish the first level? There will be a button for it after that

6. ROGER-NL

ROGER-NL Well-Known Member

May 21, 2012
    Male
    Gamer.
    THE NETHERLANDS
    I have also no world map and I got 4 cubes allready huh must be something wrong then right, the game is brilliant by the way no faults there, I am on Ipad Pro the first latest IOS.

7. Duke12

Duke12 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2013
    I got it after I got enough shards? to unlock the bottom door in the starting village

8. ROGER-NL

May 21, 2012
    Male
    Gamer.
    THE NETHERLANDS
    Yeah got that but no worldmap strange, ah well, maybe the dev. if they read this can say something about it.

9. ROGER-NL

May 21, 2012
    Male
    Gamer.
    THE NETHERLANDS
    This is all I got on screen.

Attached Files:

10. Duke12

Duke12 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2013
    #30 Duke12, Dec 13, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2017
    Guess its bugged. I have third button in the between those two on top right corner

Edit: Unless the map is an item you need to pick up. I think I picked up some other things than shards.

11. jpgold

jpgold Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2012
    Online Ad Sales - Pandora
    New York, NY
    yeah...i think the map is something you have to find in the first level.

12. ROGER-NL

May 21, 2012
    Male
    Gamer.
    THE NETHERLANDS
    I got a treasure map but that wasn’t it, maybe I have to go back to find it, can anyone confirm that you need to find the worldmap.

13. Duke12

Duke12 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2013
    #33 Duke12, Dec 13, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2017
    I just watched AppUnwrappers video and she didnt find other maps than treasure one and got the map so I presume bugged. But then again she had played before so not sure really

14. Candykiller

Candykiller Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Dec 15, 2010
    Illustrator/Designer
    United Kingdom
    You don't find the world map, it should just appear on screen at a certain point. There's a bug fix update just released. Maybe that has fixed the issue.

15. ROGER-NL

May 21, 2012
    Male
    Gamer.
    THE NETHERLANDS
    Thanks got it now after the update.

Attached Files:

16. bigrand1

bigrand1 Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    Same thing here! I was so bummed about that, but now I’m good to go and am also appreciating all the space I have now to get anything new I want! #

17. Dazzlemi

Dazzlemi Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2010
    This is truly amazing news... I remember hearing rumors about this a long while ago, but never really expected it would happen!
    Fez "on the go" - I can't wait to give it a try

18. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    I'm really debating on buying this. Reviews are stellar but I'm worried about the puzzle difficulty. I like puzzles but if they're too hard that would ruin it for me.

So if you're stuck, is that it? You're stuck and have to look up answers on the Internet? I read on a review that some things require math equations which I'm terrible at. I'd love to play this but if it become something where I spend hours staring at one puzzle with no solution I'm not sure if I could handle that and drop the game for something else.

19. farley

farley Well-Known Member

May 5, 2009
    OK, now I'm confused... :confused:
    NONE of the screenshots in the App Store show any kind of on-screen buttons, so I had naturally assumed that the controls for this game would be various gestures, like swiping, tapping on objects, or even just tapping in the general vicinity of the right half of the screen, etc.
    But now I see from a few screenshots in this thread that there ARE in fact on-screen buttons, and tiny ones at that, for directional control and various actions.
    Really, at the end of 2017, are we still getting games on the touchscreen with loads of virtual buttons? OK, I realise this game is a port from other non-touchscreen platforms, and I may be in the minority here, but this kind of thing is a deal-breaker for me - I just cannot play games with virtual buttons! It's way too imprecise, and without tactile feedback, I have to constantly be looking at the faux buttons, rather than focus on the gameplay itself!
    :(

20. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Fair enough. I'm the complete opposite, if there arent on screen buttons i dont always buy the games. Platformers are my favourite so i've got a ton with on screen buttons which (in my view) work very well as i've completed lots of ios platformers (League of Evil games etc).

Granted some games have an opacity level which works well but i cant stand swipe games. Love d-pads and i'm glad this isnt a 'tap to move' etc type of game. Again sometimes you do get the options though

Think its hard to please everyone though ! If they dont have on screen buttons some people might not buy it, if it has onscreen buttons some people wont.

This is a classic though and the buttons dont get in the way