iPad Fewer $9.99 games? Let's hope

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Vende, Dec 2, 2008.

1. Vende

Vende Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2008/12/02/most-iphone-games-not-worth-money/

Because of the nature of the iphone, we can obviously expect more and more high quality games every month (for who knows how long), but how reasonable is it for us to be spending $20, $30, $40 bucks a month for even just a handful of these ten dollar games, not to mention the cheaper stuff. I think $10 is just too much for even the highest quality game because they became pseudo obselete within weeks, not to mention the unpredictable price falls.

The guy who made Trism is now a wealthy and that game was/is a few bucks; the other developers should take note, only charge a couple bucks (how dare that Star Wars crap start at $10), and stop this random price changing crap. Apple needs to make changes i.e. better quality control, sales requirements for applications (or else they get removed), and some kind of price lockdown (just start cheaper and everyone wins).

2. Chase

Chase Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2008
    #2 Chase, Dec 2, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2008
    Well for now, at least it's a chunk of change cheaper than buying the same quality game (well, for some games) on a DS or PSP. Those start at about $20-$30. And I'm actually alright with buying a $10 game if it's well made. And I'd much rather buy a $10 game for my iPhone that I can redownload or sync back if it ever gets deleted. If you lose or accidentally wreck a game from another console though, you're screwed. That's another $20-$30 if you ever want that back.

3. SydneyS

SydneyS Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2008
    Student/Classroom Aide
    Philadelphia
    I've said this before, as many others have, I'd be happy to spend $10+ for good quality games, but crap ports or watered down trial versions they throw at us for ten bucks is uncool.
    $10 should reflect the effort of developers, quality, and length of a game, and if a game was truly good, $10 is all right with me.

4. jonaswills

jonaswills Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    Game Developer
    Colorado
    Developers aren't happy if they spend a bunch of time on something and then they have to sell it for so low so it gets popular.... it isn't worth their time unless they get lucky and their app gets into the top 100. That's why there is so much junk out there... even worse they make their apps free for a little bit then jack up the price once it does become popular. Bigger companies that are making higher quality games can't afford to do this. If you want to get more quality, your going to have to pay for it... and ya... don't spend that much money every month, you don't have to buy every game that comes out.

5. parranoya

parranoya Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2008
    The thing I get paid for
    CANADIA
    We determine the price

Whatyou guys dont realize is that the consumer controlls the price. If you think a game is too expensive then dont buy it ---if no one buys it then the drop the price. So if the community sticks together we can keep thing "reasonable".

You also must take into account that these games make more profit than anything that has to be put onto a media format. They pay no money for transport or production( burning). So they can afford to sell more for less. Dont ever let them charge over " place reasonable price here" for any game due to these facts.

IMO once the price hits over $10 I think thats getting greedy =====the production costs are probably covered after $2 with reasonable sales.... please this is an uneducated guess on cost recovery dont flame me.

I am now humbley begging all forgiveness.

6. salsamd

salsamd Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 1, 2008
    San Francisco, CA
    #6 salsamd, Dec 2, 2008
    Huh??

1. Who is pressuring anyone to buy anything???

2. From the history so far, every game seems to eventually drop in price. So, based on empirical observation, if one had the patience to wait a few months you would get every game at discount.

3. With the philosophy of categorically blasting $9.99 games without analysis of their content, you doom the hopeful inexorable progression of iphone games, as major developers will be unwilling to bring serious quality games to the platform if no one is willing to spend at least $9.99.

4. That said, I agree that some games out there are not worth their asking price, no matter how long the dev spent making it.

7. Chase

Chase Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2008
    As others have said, I'm worried most about developers not jumping on the iPhone gaming wagon because they aren't able to sell their games for a high enough price. If they don't see a market where they could actually make money off of their games and only see people complaining about even a $5 game (which I've seen more than a dozen times :confused:) then why would they even consider making a great game if they'd only be able to make a dollar at a time off it?

Remember: You get what you paid for!

8. dlogik

dlogik Well-Known Member

Aug 24, 2008
    Rubbish. The more that high-end game companies see the iPhone as a viable platform to develop for, the more high-end games we're going to see (a la DS). If a $29.99 game comes out and is worth it, then I'm going to be all over it. Remember, this is just the beginning. And the price falls? Walk into Walmart and look at the $9.99 bins for games that were $69.99 when they were released. It happens, no matter what system you play on and what games you purchase.

Rubbish, again. Best Buy had a sale on last week for a game then bumped the price back up the this week, should Best Buy have price lockdowns too? And no matter what system you play on, you might just end up paying $59.99 for a crap game. Boo hoo. You should be thankful for the iTunes App Store for having a review system and sites like Touch Arcade with even more reviews so YOU CAN MAKE YOUR OWN DECISION.

/endrant

9. Vende

Vende Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    ^Rubbish to all that you said, dlogik. The nature of purchasing and storing iphone games is vastly different than buying a console game at a Best Buy and thus there needs to be far better consumer protection (i.e. cheaper prices or mandatory lite versions) than what we have so far. You can RETURN a $60 dollar PSP game if you don't like it; you can't do the same for 6 $10 dollar games. That, in conjunction with other storage capacity issues i.e. a memory limit and only 100+ applications allowed at any given moment, results in a lot of us getting ripped off on these applications. Apple needs to deal with this "buyer beware" mentality as it's inappropriate, unfair, and proves that, as a matter of policy, Apple is not yet ready to compete with mainstream consoles.

And I'm guessing you'll only get that $30 dollar game when SOMEONE ELSE takes a risk, buys it, and puts a review on youtube. That's the only way to get real feedback on these games, and in particular the more costly ones - waiting for other people to potentially wate x number of dollars on a game that they can never get back, even if it's a turd! I mean, what kind of commerce is that???

10. Mad Portagee

Mad Portagee Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2008
    If a game is quality and length long enough comparable to a psp/ds game then it should be able to be the same price. What PSP game is $60 anyway, and it is against policy to take back open games, therefor you can not return if you dont like it. Unless of course you lie or are a difficult customer that they just want to get rid of...... If you feel strongly about disliking something and feel you were tricked into buying an app, i believe you can take it up with apple and they will help you out.

If they make quality games, I see no reason they shouldn't be able to charge more. If not the games simply won't sell..

Also the commerce isn't any different..... Digital download computer games, games on Playstation network, psp store, wii store, xbox live... No returns for any of those.

11. ChaoticBox

ChaoticBox Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2008
    Male
    Developer
    Toronto Canada
    The guy who made Trism also knows that it was good timing and luck that made that money. Trism was also $5 at the time.

12. TumbleBug

TumbleBug Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2008
    Rubbish

The appstore is a bargin. Think how much monkey ball costs on the DS £30 mabye. Currently it costs £4 on the appstore and for that u get one great game(in my view), that u can have running on many machines at the same time and you don't have to carry around a game box were ever u are.

13. Vende

Vende Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    "If a game is quality and length long enough comparable to a psp/ds game then it should be able to be the same price. What PSP game is $60 anyway, and it is against policy to take back open games, therefor you can not return if you dont like it. Unless of course you lie or are a difficult customer that they just want to get rid of......

I don't know how specific store policies work, but I presume there are still legitimate means of returning opened and played games i.e. grace periods or warranties. I mean, Best Buy clearly has a return policy for products.

"If you feel strongly about disliking something and feel you were tricked into buying an app, i believe you can take it up with apple and they will help you out. "

If that's true then my point is moot and I'll shut up, but I haven't heard any anecdotes there and I wonder how difficult it would be to actually get in touch with Apple and be given the run around.

"Also the commerce isn't any different..... Digital download computer games, games on Playstation network, psp store, wii store, xbox live... No returns for any of those."

That's true but those kinds of downloads are still not the norm, not to mention that users of those consoles have other options i.e. going to the actual store to buy the thing. With the iphone, you have absolutely no other means of installing the game other than the apps store/itunes.

14. Tetrad

Tetrad Active Member

Dec 2, 2008
    Game Developer (programmer/designer)
    Dallas, TX
    #14 Tetrad, Dec 2, 2008
    There's a big difference in cost of development between a game like Trism and something like the Brothers in Arms game that just came out or the game that the article itself was talking about (Rolando).

Things are only "worth" what people are willing to pay for it. If a brand new game comes out like of the same relative quality as Trism for the same price as when Trism first came out (which I think was $4.99?) I'm sure a lot of people would pass on it simply because the market has gotten saturated with half-decent puzzle games. Being "first to market" is huge for a lot of the games people talk about having made a lot of profit. Trism and Super Monkey Ball were decent games that came out at the absolute best time to make money.

One of the major benefits to something like the iTunes store is that publishers are free to set the price point that makes sense for the products they worked on. In a retail store that isn't the case since there's limited shelf space and retailers aren't going to want to carry products that are not going to bring in as much money (one of the reasons that new "next gen" games are all $60). So it's completely possible for somebody to release a really small game like Scoops for $.99, and then potentially something like BIA or Rolando for $10. It's all what people are willing to pay.

Basically, I completely agree with the article as written. There are a lot of low budget games on the app store that are not really worth more than a buck or two. I'm sure in the next 6 months to a year, though, you're going to see a lot more big-budget titles that are much more suited to the platform and provide a better gameplay experience than some of the $9.99 bombs of the past. And they're going to be worth it.

15. Birdsoft

Birdsoft Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    Developer
    Wisconsin
    Or most of the major publisher's are dipping their toe in now and finding out that with the way shorter shelf life and this poor idea that most iPhone users take on that everything should be worth less than their Desktop/Console counterpart, is going to keep them from making a profit and will abandon the market completely....

Or hopefully the market adjusts with better pricing and Apple doing more to better organize the AppStore and making more sales and promotional tools available.

The whole "the market will take care of itself and set its own prices" is a great theory... but it is dangerously close to wrecking the AppStore. Ive noticed it may be causing other problems around the world too....

Basically, as was just said.. Trism got EXTREMELY lucky with a good but not great title... The market is no where near what it was this Summer. So erase that that ever happened. That oppertunity is pretty much gone.

(And NOPE, you can't return opened games at all at the big box stores unless its damaged, so Yeah, you are out the $30-60 instead of the $10).

Best Buy - Look at Policy Exceptions

And yes, this is why sites like TouchArcade exist. So they can spend their budget on games so you dont have too. They wouldnt have content and/or visitors to sell advertising for if they didnt....

And that is the commerce model that Apple has setup!!

16. spmwinkel

spmwinkel Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2008
    The Netherlands
    Off topic - Birdsoft on the iPod Touch market? Great!! (I was only familiar with you from the PocketPC)

17. Mr. Charley

Mr. Charley Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2008
    I believe iTunes has updated their "return policy" and there is no such thing anymore. One of their most recent updates 8.0 implictly stated that all sales are final. Sure, maybe if you really complain, you may get your money back. Have you ever tried to call Apple customer service and been on hold for 20 minutes?? Either way, there's no guarantee and Apple really doesn't have to give you your money back if they're not in the mood....

Sure, quality games are what we all want, but remember this, and I've mentioned this in another thread, and I'll say this over and over again.
    Sell 1000 apps at $.99, and you'll make way more money than selling 100 apps at $3.99. There is no reason to charge $50 even if it's the exact same quality game as an Xbox 360/PC/PS3 because there are no distribution costs, no warehouse to store all the physical disks etc etc. That righ there means games should NEVER EVER be the same price as other consoles!

I've heard it's only $.99, the price of coffee....blah blah. If you live in Canada, you know how rich Tim Horton's is (the most known coffee franchise in the country?) And that's off selling coffee's.....and not even $4 Starbuck coffees, so everyone can spare me how developers need to increase their prices. You can make a great living selling top notch games at $.99....especially without distribution costs...
    Know why all the soft drink companies are rich? Because they sell tons and tons of their $.99 cans of coke/sprite/whatever
    Know why Wal-Mart is rich? Because they sell more goods, at lower prices....
    Sell more (even at lower prices )equals more money...genious...
    So there you have it developers, take my advice. Make a good game, sell it cheap, and sell it to the masses. Sure, you can have pride and sell your $9.99 app to 1000 people but sell your $.99 app to 100,000.....

But all Xbox live games come with a "lite" version, otherwise known as a demo. You NEVER, EVER buy blind. Please, forget Xbox Live, you can pretty much try out a demo for every game that's released on Xbox 360 through their live service as well....

Ok, I'm done....I feel better.

18. mar12

mar12 Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2008
    well prior to getting the iphone, i had a dell axim x50v pda, the average price for any decent game was 30 bucks, so 10 bucks for iphone gaming and better quality....(no strip blackjack video bummer :()..i really cant complain

19. organerito

organerito Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2008
    Developers can charge as much as they want. It is up to us to decide if we buy their products or not. EA could charge 900 dollars for NFS, but nobody is going to buy, so they have lower the price and find a balance between demand and quality.

20. Birdsoft

Birdsoft Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    Developer
    Wisconsin
    See, and its great that you actually saw the early numbers for iPhone and believe this.. But it IS NOT TRUE! Your numbers sound good to you but are way off in reality. You DON'T actually EVER sell 10x the product if you drop from $10 to $1. iPhone with its volume and especially this Summer made this as close as its ever has been to looking true, but its not! A lot of people still equate price to quality and end up buying the Starbucks coffee even if the 99 cent cup is better!

None of the big studios will make enough off of 99 cent games alone to make enough of a profit to stay interested. And the numbers arent there for the little guys in the AppStores current form either, you simply get buried to see the numbers you need.

The Desktop Shareware Market still sells at like $15-20 on average and they dont have the packaging/distrubuton costs either... Theres a reason...

Yep, thats Apple's fault!! That is exactly one of the many "Sales Tools" that are missing from this commerce model.

Yep, Had to give iPhone/ iPod Touch a try. Wish I would have tried in June... :) I have 2 games out and a 3rd original title in review....
    Poker Stacks YouTube- Alpha