Fellow devs, unite for untold riches!!

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Kyle Poole, Mar 10, 2010.

1. qwiboo

qwiboo Well-Known Member

Thanks for asking ;) Yes we have a thousands of visitors every day already, and that's only after 3 weeks! You can look at alexa.com, where it shows you the current page rank estimate. We have twice better rank in UK than the openfeint page doing similar thing.

2. MrBlue

MrBlue Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2008
    iPhone Developer
    I'm sure everyone's seen Gameloft's 3-1 sports pack by now. Is this a new trend? Even one of the big guys is bundling their older titles together.

3. tukun

tukun Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2009
    this is a great ideas, Im will def join when i have some cool minigame ideas

4. monk666

monk666 Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2008
    This thread gave me a good laugh. I read till maybe page 4 and have to stop to prevent rupturing my diaphragm.

Hate to break it to you guys, i smell another ploy to rip off the bunch of sad miserable indie devs mulling over on their 1 copy a day sales on TA. Well, shit like these happens. Whenever there's desperation, there's always somebody will to step on you just to get on top. Remember the haiti earthquake donation scams?

Just my 2c, don't let me dissuade you. Go ahead and make your millions. God speed. :D

5. originalcopy

originalcopy Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2009
    Cynical much?

6. mehware

mehware Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2008
    first off, how the hell would you actually do this... I could understand if they were games from the same engine, say unity for example... but seriously its not an easy feat cramming a bunch of games into one app.

Horrible, Horrible idea, where do i sign up..

7. DPP13

DPP13 Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2010
    College Student
    This topic just made me go out and buy bot hthe 26 in 1 Box and the 50+ App thing. Both are average at best. $2 wasted. I should learn restraint.

8. PixelthisMike

PixelthisMike Well-Known Member

There's a 50+ app thing too?? Looks like you guys are gonna have to up the ante... 27-in-1 ain't gonna cut it anymore ;)

9. slipster216

slipster216 Active Member

Dec 3, 2009
    Game Developer
    Boston
    There's an easy way to do it, and a hard way to do it. Apple has unfortunately banned the use of the public APIs that make it easy, so your left with one of several hard ways to do it. The most obvious is to compile all of your code into one giant app, making sure that everyone uses unique names for all classes, singletons, global functions, etc. They also can't conflict on saving files, NSUserDefaults, and a bunch of other cases. This requires a ton of work from developers, especially if they happen to be on different versions of the same engine, or use different versions of third party libraries.

When we started our bundling service we decided we wanted to make things easy on our developers, and wanted to allow them to submit games without having to give us source code. We generally felt that asking them to make all of these changes for something that might not work wasn't the best idea (because nothing is a sure thing in the AppStore). So instead we've spent a bunch of time creating a system to automate the process. The first pass at this had a bug which only manifested itself on distribution builds and took a while to track down with Apple, since we couldn't test distribution builds (only adhoc, etc). We've since built a new system which doesn't have this issue, and should have our first bundle up and running in the next few days.

Anyway, our goal was always to provide this service as an easy win for developers. Getting to that goal, not so easy..

10. DPP13

DPP13 Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2010
    College Student
    Apps. Not games to be clear. Its like the App Pro Box but bigger and just as useless.

11. Deewin

Deewin Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2009
    I just bought Appzilla and I'm really liking it so far. It's a buck and you get a bunch of utility apps that would cost around the same price. It's basically Appbox pro with a few more interesting apps.

12. monk666

Nov 16, 2008
    wow, u elaborated a lot on your adhoc build problem when nobody knows wtf you are talking about. Smells like magic mushrooms to me.

13. monk666

Nov 16, 2008
    Always. People say there are a lot of crooks on appstore. I say there are more crooks lurking on TA forums! Especially those that promises "untold riches".

14. originalcopy

Sep 10, 2009
    Well, scam or not, bundle or no bundle, my app will be appearing on the store very soon. ;)

15. egarayblas

egarayblas Well-Known Member

So how is AppBundles coming along?

16. originalcopy

Sep 10, 2009
    I would like to know that too.

17. MrBlue

MrBlue Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2008
    iPhone Developer
  18. Kyle Poole

Kyle Poole Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2009
    I still need a few more interested devs to submit their games for the action bundle and puzzle bundle. The concept is certainly proven again with Appzilla!

19. originalcopy

Sep 10, 2009
    I'm interested. Tell me what you need.

20. synther

synther Well-Known Member

What about 30 good games? Many people will buy it because its cheap and will look fun, but later on they'll discover it acutally is fun, and write good reviews, making other people buy it.

Those people will do the same and tell their family and friends about it, they'll consider buying it too.

What you need to do this are some developers who want to participate using innovative games, no rip-offs. Also, it would be a good idea to use different kinds of games, games for hardcore gamers, casual gamers, young gamers, female gamers, elder gamers, etc. This will probably be the new must have, maybe even beat flight control!