Universal Felix The Reaper (by Kong Orange & Daedalic Entertainment)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by esbenravn, Jul 15, 2020.

1. esbenravn

esbenravn Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2013
    Game Producer
    Aarhus, Denmark.
    We got another small video out now about the dance and music collaborations to, I thought you might enjoy?

What do you think of this approach to animations and music?

2. Jstorm

Jstorm Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2020
    Male
    Employed
    Earth
    #42 Jstorm, Jul 29, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2020
    Well, I have the same feeling as the reviewer. At the least he gave 3, I’d give 2.
    I didn’t like the unintuitive camera control where I can only rotate and not slide, frustratingly small tiles, and the existence of a timer on a puzzle game.

After playing the first 2 missions it’s been sitting in my “Someday” folder.

The art, music, and puzzles maybe fun, but problems with the game system didn’t provide entertaining experience.

esbenravn likes this.
  3. esbenravn

Oct 15, 2013
    Game Producer
    Aarhus, Denmark.
    Thank you!
    Which devise were you playing on?

And what if anything, did it matter to you, that time was only of essence in 4 of the skulls you could achieve in the game out of 90+ (kind of rhetorically by my, so what I'm fishing for, is why it comes off as important, when it's a very minor requirement in terms of getting the achievements, we did something wrong in the way it's presented, that pisses people off)?

Jstorm likes this.
  4. Jstorm

Jstorm Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2020
    Male
    Employed
    Earth
    #44 Jstorm, Jul 29, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2020
    I played the game on an iPhone8.

If the game was something that had competitive element, such as match 3 or Tetris type puzzles, then I didn’t mind a timer.

I was expecting a more relaxed experience, where I enjoy character animations and the environment of each mission. However, the game had a timer. Sure, it won’t affect to progress the mission, but after the first mission I know the time is ticking and at that point the game was no longer a relaxing experience for me.

I don’t know why you had to add a rating system in the first place.

esbenravn likes this.
  5. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA
    I actually like when games include those types of additional goals beyond just beating a level. It gives you extra stuff to do and goals to shoot for. But I totally know what you mean about once you know there's a timer, you KNOW it's there, whether it affects you being able to beat the level or not.

I think you could solve something like this by having a Story mode that's no timers, no extra goals, just all the levels and cutscenes and your only job is to play through it all. Then have a separate "Time Trial" mode or something where you can just jump into any of the levels from the campaign and try to earn the extra goals on them, and have leaderboards and such tied to that mode.

skoptic and Jstorm like this.
  6. ShinHadoukin

ShinHadoukin Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2015
    I think one thing to remember is the Pocketgamer reviewer is not a fan of puzzle games. He also complained about difficulty which can also be attributed to not liking puzzle games. It sounds like the reviewer would have preferred to explore the awesome environment and characters you created in an open world.

The game is oozing with character and personality, so much so that a person that doesn’t play puzzle games came back over-&-over.

You can have a longer/more detailed tutorial. Besides that really nothing.

esbenravn likes this.
  7. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA
    I mean, obviously I'm biased, but PG not playing much of a game before reviewing it is very on brand for them.

esbenravn likes this.
  8. esbenravn

Oct 15, 2013
    Game Producer
    Aarhus, Denmark.
    THANK YOU ALL FOR KEEPING IT HOT!

[​IMG]

AAAAND btw. here's our final behind the scenes film - if you are geeking out on art history, this is your:

Any thoughts on that film? Do you think in comes through significantly in the game experience?

9. ste86uk

ste86uk Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    So this is on sale for 99p and I believe it was pretty popular here and now it’s practically free! So just a heads up to anyone that didn’t get it, I also seen the comments on a timer and the last update says it removed time constraints on achievements so unsure if that changes what Jstorm didn’t like?

10. Jstorm

Jstorm Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2020
    Male
    Employed
    Earth
    Did it get the camera control fixed as well? No? Well, then nope.

11. skoptic

skoptic Well-Known Member

Apr 3, 2015
    I have so much (frustrating, puzzly) fun playing this game :) Such a steal at 99p

yankeeblue000 likes this.
  12. yankeeblue000

yankeeblue000 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2016
    Me too. Tried this when it was on Gamepass. I didn’t get into it but I’m into it now

skoptic likes this.