Fed up with UK iTunes store prices!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by wastedyuthe, Jan 13, 2009.

1. #1 wastedyuthe, Jan 13, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2009
    I have got rid of Sky and got Freesat, as I thought I could just download the odd programs I do like online (BSG and 24). The new season of 24 has started and now you can buy it from the iTunes UK store as well as the US one. Here's the catch-

UK price- £40.99 for the SD (Standard Definintion) season pass.

US prices- $44.99 SD season pass (= £30.65), $67.99 HD season pass (= £46.32)

Now I know we have our VAT included in the price and as far as I am aware the US prices don't (please correct me if I am wrong), but even when you take that into account, we UK residents are still getting ripped off!

I have a US account set up last year so I could buy from the US store, but I have heard since iTunes 8, technology has been introduced to clamp down on that, and I am afraid to use it now.
    It's so annoying, because it is prices such as these that prompt people to find alternate illegal methods of downloading their favourite shows instead.
    On a side note, why is it the US has a HD version available when we don't? Mind you, I'd dread to think how much the HD version would be in the UK!
    How do other countries fare?

2. spmwinkel

spmwinkel Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2008
    This is how we fare in the Netherlands. No movies or TV shows sections at all!

Attached Files:

3. That sucks. But that's to do with Apple coming to agreements over the licensing. They have come to agreements for the UK store, which doesn't explain the sometimes extortionate prices the studios set.

4. spmwinkel

spmwinkel Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2008
    Hm yes I understand that these are different issues.

Do you think it's Apple who is making the extra money or the studios?

5. Good question. I have read that it's not iTunes that set the prices for the season passes- it's the studios. But I don't know how much the studio gets from the sales in each country. Maybe they get less from the sales in the UK so they put the price up to compensate. Does anyone know the answer?