iPad Features App Store Needs

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by VirtualAlex, Dec 10, 2008.

1. VirtualAlex

VirtualAlex Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2008
    I am mad at the app store for not having simple features. Or maybe they do have them and I just don't see them? Can I search just the app-store and not all of the itunes store? So I only find apps.

I want to bookmark apps! You should be able to bookmark apps you liked, and keep tabs on them. A quick list of all bookmarked apps, their current price, and version would be SO useful.

Lastly, how do you link to apps in the store? I can't figure it out.

2. spmwinkel

spmwinkel Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2008
    The Netherlands
    If you just go to the App Store and then search, doesn't it come up with just the apps? (I mean don't search from the iTunes Store homepage, but first really get into the app store).

Bookmarks indeed isn't possible I believe...

If you're on the product page of a game/app, right click the name of the product and it should say something like "Copy iTunes link".

I don't have iTunes open right now so this is just from the top of my head. :)

3. Sainter

Sainter Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    Searching for apps is best done on your iPhone/Touch in the App Store, or just search and click the box that has apps in it.

Bookmarking would be good, That is what AppSniper does, its quite handy

4. BrettArchibald

BrettArchibald Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Self-employed interactive designer.
    Formerly Zimbabwe - now England.
    Unfortunately, no.

Again, unfortunately you can't, but what you *CAN* do is bookmark the webpage for any app or game on the App Store on this website:
    http://www.appshopper.com
    Also, this website has a search feature, so it could help you out with your first point above.

Find the app you want, right-click on it, and select "Copy iTunes Store URL". Then paste that link wherever.

5. Oliver

Oliver Well-Known Member

One must say that these errors belong to the iTunes Store at all, not only to the AppStore part of it.

What bothers me more is that you can only buy apps, but not put them into your basket case.

6. VirtualAlex

VirtualAlex Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2008
    yeah what the heck, Apple needs to GET THE LEAD OUT! Let's move!

7. Paulio

Paulio Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2008
    Local IGA (supermarket)
    Tasmania, Australia
    AppStore needs genius! And price sections so that not all the cheap shit apps go to the top selling list. Needs to be at least four lists seperated into different price sections.

8. menom

menom Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2008
    photography
    London, UK.
    #8 menom, Dec 10, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2008
    I reckon they need to redo the categories - or at least have more sub categories

eg. app store/games/sports/golf
    app store/games/arcade/platform game
    app store/travel/language
    app store/travel/guide

and minor tweaks shouldn't bring apps back up to the top of the category lists (where the newest apps usually get placed) some apps are permanently at the top of the lists for no good reason

oh, and the 'New' section on the main apps page should perhaps have more er .. '"new"' apps and not just be another 'Featured' section

9. Mr. Charley

Mr. Charley Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2008
    Agreed on both those points.
    Updates to an app shouldn't make it jump the line so to speak as this encourages some developers to consistently "update" their apps *cough*bootant*cough*

Also agree that the "new" section is ridiculous. There are "new" apps that have been released for weeks if not months. If it can't be updated on a daily basis, at least a weekly basis....but the way it is, as you say, is just another 'featured' section.

10. nickels

nickels Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2008
    Web Developer / Designer
    PA, USA
    Who said no to this? Go to the iTunes store and on the right under quick links click on power search. In the next window under power search set the dropdown from "All results" to "Applications". THen put inwhat your looking for and hit search. Done.

11. Little White Bear Studios

Little White Bear Studios Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2008
    While I agree that certain devs can't help themselves from updating every single day (and I'm amazed that Apple hasn't done anything about it), removing this ability will cause most developers to stop updating completely, and only update if there is a big problem. Invisible updates have zero sales impact, thus making it an unprofitable thing to do. Devs will abandon apps, as they're busy creating new apps to clog the store even more.

It is updated. Every Monday night, they add eight or so new apps to the list, and eight fall off the list. But, as you said, it is just another featured category, and not a new apps list.

12. 00011000

00011000 Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2008
    trials!

these are all small beans.

The Appstore needs more than anything integrated trial versions just like XBLA.

I wonder how many of the 10,000 apps are free lite versions...

13. menom

menom Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2008
    photography
    London, UK.
    @Little White Bear Studios wrote -

"While I agree that certain devs can't help themselves from updating every single day (and I'm amazed that Apple hasn't done anything about it), removing this ability will cause most developers to stop updating completely, and only update if there is a big problem. Invisible updates have zero sales impact, thus making it an unprofitable thing to do. Devs will abandon apps, as they're busy creating new apps to clog the store even more"

Yes good point - we wouldn't want that scenario

perhaps a solution would be tabs at top of each category so the list can be ordered how you like with options like New, Updates, Sub-categories, Alphabetical etc

14. Little White Bear Studios

Little White Bear Studios Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2008
    But will new buyers look at an Updates list? I'm not so sure they would. If they kept the current behavior, but put a limit on how many times you can update per month, say four, then a lot of the abusers will be forced to stop. And it will make them combine fixes/features into larger updates. And yes, there may be cases where an emergency bug pops up. This could be solved by allowing one emergency release per month. If you need more than that, then you aren't testing your app enough in the first place, and don't really belong on the store. I'm sure everyone would be happy without so many obvious beta apps out there.

15. Mr. Charley

Mr. Charley Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2008
    That's a good point. I don't want to prevent updates as I love getting updates when warranted. :)
    I guess really the problem is how some have just taken advantage of the system

That's an interesting concept...and I believe worthwhile to consider.
    Totally agree that if you need more than 1 emergency update per month, that app has some serious issues which should have been resolved before release.

16. mek

mek Well-Known Member

i think with the newly added price graph, which shows price fluctations
    you could toggle a button, that would add a second, intersecting line that shows updates
    but now that i think of it, it does show updates on it, ..i'd have to look at it again, but i think it has a lil icon on that graph, pointing out that an update occured in the history

edit: but you two were talking about an update list, like the free and paid apps, much like the appshopper feature...i get ya..i thought you were talking about individual updates for apps to track update activity/abuse or lack there of