Universal Fearless Fantasy (By tinyBuild LLC)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Boardumb, May 14, 2015.

1. Anotherkellydown

Anotherkellydown Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Bronze

#61 Anotherkellydown, May 15, 2015
    Last edited: May 15, 2015
    Appreciate the info, curtisrshideler! I may try that out this weekend.

I might give it a try eventually. I have so many games that I haven't even scratched the surface of yet. Plus I'm more apt to play something that doesn't require much thought/strategy or isn't really deep. Not saying this is lacking in any of those things! But that's why I don't play RPGs like I did "back in the day" :)

2. tinyBuild

tinyBuild Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2011
    Haha, I love the PG review as well. It justifies the hard work we put into Fearless Fantasy and makes me silently giggle on the inside :D

3. Adsinjapan

Adsinjapan Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2013
    I thought I should add my small request here if the dev is reading.

I'm playing this on iPhone 6 with headphones. With that in mind, this game really needs adjustable screen orientation. I can only play it right now with the headphone port on the right side, digging into my palm.

Cheers

4. Moocow

Moocow Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2014
    This is getting really frustrating. How does the sliding arrow QTE work? I can never get this type correct. I tried sliding really slowly following the arrows as they appear, as well as sliding faster than they appear, nothing works??

5. Anotherkellydown

#65 Anotherkellydown, May 16, 2015
    Last edited: May 16, 2015
    Finally spent a couple hours with this tonight and man is it awesome.

> Great Soundtrack

> Engaging battles (the tap and swipe inputs make you feel more in control of the outcome of each attack, reminiscent of Paper Mario. Makes for a more satisfying experience)

*I like that the battles aren't rushed - you choose when you're prepared to defend against the enemy attacks

*selecting an enemy shows you what will happen if you attack them and what the results of a good/bad attack will be

> Fun and well voiced story

> Very unique art style - it's strange, but a really good strange

> Nice variety of weapons, special abilities, and gear

Overall I'm really impressed with the time I've put in so far. It was easy to learn the ropes, but just difficult enought to keep me on my toes (playing on normal difficulty). Looking forward to seeing the story unfold as progress further.

Great job, tinyBuild!

There are lines around the arrows that start outside of them until they line up with the border of the arrows, at witch point you swipe across them. It's all about timing it right. The visual cue helps know when is the right time to swipe.

However, if your character is blinded by the enemy (black cloud around your head), the cues are no longer visible, making it almost a guess. But I did notice the arrows will still blink, so if you're quick enough, you can still get by. Hope that made sense.

6. Based Xatu

Based Xatu Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2013
    Are debuffs supposed to be on the whole level on the hardest difficulty? I also notice monsters have 1 turn buffs that last the whole fight.

7. Moocow

Moocow Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2014
    #67 Moocow, May 16, 2015
    Last edited: May 16, 2015
    Only on second level, boss guarantees to debuff you with that annoying permanent smoke thing that makes it nearly impossible to get perfects on QTEs, and it dodges ANYTHING other than "flawless". Getting a SINGLE "good" in QTE will result in him dodging the entire attack. Wtf? That pretty much equals a permanent invincibility buff on the boss. Fail design.

8. Nightxx

Nightxx Active Member

Jan 13, 2012
    These snake gestures in casual are not really friendly, I find myself missing more than in normal mode.

9. Based Xatu

Aug 27, 2013
    You gave it 1 star because you're bad at the game? I did the same boss on the hardest difficulty and was fine.

10. Moocow

Moocow Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2014
    Bad at the game? Lol I'm one of those people who usually plays musical rhythm games on the hardest difficulty. No I gave it 1 star because it has bad game design. If this was the final level then asking for perfection may be fine. Asking for absolute gesture perfection on the SECOND level when you're handicapped by not even being able to see the flashing arrows/circles? If there was no handicap then this would be fine, or if there was handicap at least make it so the boss can't dodge "success" strikes. Have you played the game called Dance Dance Revolution? It's like saying that you'll fail a stage if you get a single "good" instead of "perfect".

11. Zenity

Zenity Member

May 14, 2015
    Enemies have various passive abilities which are described when you target them. The first boss itself does not dodge successful attacks, but its minions (the extra heads) dodge ranged attacks if they are not epic or better. Melee attacks still work as usual though.

As for blinded, the chance to become blinded also depends on your defensive performance (with a perfect performance guaranteeing that you won't get blinded, then the chance gradually increases as your performance drops). There are also items and abilities to cleanse your heroes of negative status effects like blinded.

When blinded there are also still a couple of cues which can be used to time the items, and it's a lot easier in lower difficulty settings.

Hope this helps, thanks for the feedback.

12. Zenity

Zenity Member

May 14, 2015
    Debuffs stay yes, until you cleanse them. You can avoid being debuffed in the first place though, as I explained in the previous comment. :)

Same for monster buffs, although buffs that are applied during battle usually only last for one about one turn. Many monsters have passive abilities though (those marked with a green icon), which are always active and cannot be cleansed.

13. Zenity

Zenity Member

May 14, 2015
    This is probably because it takes longer until the outlines converge, so if you swipe too fast you will miss more on casual than normal. So while casual is generally much more forgiving, it may not be so great for impatient players. :)

14. Zenity

Zenity Member

May 14, 2015
    I'm looking into it, that certainly sounds useful.

15. Based Xatu

Aug 27, 2013
    #75 Based Xatu, May 17, 2015
    Last edited: May 17, 2015
    Yeah I knew all that, not trying to get smart or anything. It's just that on the second wave of the fifth stage the little guy was buffed with immunity to melee attacks for 1 round, 3 rounds passed and he was still buffed.

16. tinyBuild

tinyBuild Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2011
    It takes a little bit of getting used to with the timing on the taps/swipes. It's a brutal game that people don't usually beat on the first try :)

17. Anotherkellydown

[​IMG]

[thread=261644][​IMG][/thread] [thread=261599][​IMG][/thread] [thread=261580][​IMG][/thread] [thread=261647][​IMG][/thread] [thread=255173][​IMG][/thread] [thread=261383][​IMG][/thread]

Fearless Fantasy

[​IMG]

is one of the nominees for

Touch Arcade Forums' Game Of The Week

May 14th, 2015

VOTE HERE

***PLEASE NOTE***

1) Developers, publishing partners, or affiliates cannot vote for their own games. If your game is in the poll, you can't vote for it. You are free to ask TA forum posters in your game release thread to vote for your game... but please don't post multiple messages about it.
    2) This voting is for TA members with some activity. If you have to ask someone to create a new account to vote, you're doing it wrong.
    3) Suspect votes may be void.

Credit to AndyC83 for GotW logo

18. RinoaHeartily

RinoaHeartily Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2010
    This is a very good game that nobody plays.. There's moment I spent 10 mins on the first node and died I know this game ain't for me..
    All the best to the dev.. I hope you nail the sales coz truly it's a very good game and I can see the details put into the game but I personal feel it's too complex and time consuming for mobile platform.

19. dasec

dasec New Member

Aug 24, 2014
    Beat the game. Quite short. But great game overall.
    Was waiting for a rhythm based RPG for quite a while. Hope you make more games like this.

Something like Song of hero would be nice

20. 8BitFlash

8BitFlash Well-Known Member

May 19, 2015
    I love the game, love the unique battle system and the weird characters. Great game....it's just way too short, I beat it in two hours...and for a 3 dollar game I kinda expected more content. Is there any plan to add more content, or is that it?