iPad favorite type of music in games

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by applesauce25r624, Dec 31, 2008.

1. #1 applesauce25r624, Dec 31, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2008
    what is your favorite type of in-game music ? (i know your own music might be ideal)

i love dance music, especially breaks

the guitar from touch physics was also great

2. brewstermax

brewstermax Well-Known Member

Rock or Pop. But really it depends on the game. I like upbeat music, but if the game is somber, thats the kind of music I want.

3. Rocketman919

Rocketman919 Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2008
    Cali-forn-i-a
  4. iKoda

iKoda Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    Student
    Haha, My Own Music. xD

5. istopmotion

istopmotion Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2008
    Utah
    I really appreciate it when developers add music to their games that match the gameplay. It makes the game about 5x more fun than if you had to use your own music or go without music at all.

Anyway, I really like any music that adds intensity to the game. In puzzle games, I like fast music that will make the game seem faster paced and much more challenging.

But really, any music at all in a game adds to the quality of the game, so I enjoy it :)

Also, my thread is slightly related to this: What kind of music do you like?

6. Billhouse

Billhouse Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    Any music that fits the game is good music. Orchestral soundtracks are good. Currently my favorite in game music that adds to the gameplay is Dropship.

7. AndyL

AndyL Well-Known Member

I personally like all of ngmoco's soundtracks in their games

8. Carlos-Sz

Carlos-Sz Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2008
    Electronic and futuristic. :)

9. nickels

nickels Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2008
    Web Developer / Designer
    PA, USA
    Boomshine has a mellow song playing the whole time. I like it

10. alexbates

alexbates Active Member

Dec 15, 2008
    Student
    GA, USA
    If its racing, some sort of hard rock.

The best music I have seen in a app so far is the music in Speed Burst. The only bad thing is that there is only 2 songs. I guess thats why I only payed $1 for the app.

11. iKoda

iKoda Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    Student
    I like listening to my own music but if you select that you can't hear the sound effects (most games) which I really hate. So I end up listening to the Games Music.

12. BrettArchibald

BrettArchibald Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Self-employed interactive designer.
    Formerly Zimbabwe - now England.
    Personally speaking, the first thing I do when I load up any new game for the first time is look for the setting to turn the music off. Not so that I can listen to my own music - I just want no music at all.
    Sound effects are OK, if they're used appropriately and sound professional — I've heard a few where it just sounds like the developer shouted "whoosh" into the cheap in-built microphone on his laptop or something! :(

This may well be due to the type of games I tend to play, which are mainly puzzle games. As in, it's all very well having music playing a racing game, but who needs an accompanying soundtrack to a game of solitaire? :p

13. D.Sync

D.Sync Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2008
    University Student
    Malaysia
    Music does plays an important role in games. Can you imagine playing any of those final fantasy games without their own music which is unique for each version (I liked the battle music for each version). I simply can't. If that happened, I would pass Final Fantasy out. And just see how many albums had released based on the soundtrack of Final Fantasy. Even concert and several fans had created their own arrange version music for the games. In addition, one can easily identify a game based on hearing than look.

It's actually kinda hard to produce any unique music that fits the game. So I guess it's another job for developer to create his/her own music for the developed game. :rolleyes: