Universal Fates and Constellations - Line Splitting Puzzle Game

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by chinykian, Nov 16, 2016.

1. Valentia

Valentia Well-Known Member
    Patreon Gold

Jan 20, 2009
    Female
    Retired!
    California
    I'm extremely intrigued!

2. opneon

opneon Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jan 31, 2017
    That's looks like a fun and smart gameplay mechanic. Great job on that one!

3. chinykian

chinykian Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2016
    Indie Game Dev
    Singapore
    Thank you! =)

Thanks! We hope to come up with more mechanics! =D

4. chinykian

Sep 1, 2016
    Indie Game Dev
    Singapore
    Post-Processing Effect

We thought it's time to finally do some post-processing to spice up the look of the game and to break away from the somewhat flat color tone. There was much experimentation, and we eventually settled on changing the hue and saturation towards the bottom of the screen so it looks like the landscape is reflecting light.

Here's the comparison (before & after):

[​IMG] [​IMG]

We try to keep the effect subtle in order to not draw too much attention away from the puzzle. In fact, we're thinking of making the constellations stand out more by implementing glow - so that's something to look forward to! =D

5. chinykian

Sep 1, 2016
    Indie Game Dev
    Singapore
    Glow

Finally added some glow to the constellations. Still got to tweak this further - the glow makes the white nodes look like balls of fuzz, so we'll probably have to change how they look. Also, my teammate jon fixed up the lines so they now look smoother, goodbye aliasing!

[​IMG]

6. chinykian

Sep 1, 2016
    Indie Game Dev
    Singapore
    Particles

Added some particle effects to emphasize the cutting of lines. The tiny particles seem to work well enough with the glow =)

[​IMG]

7. chinykian

Sep 1, 2016
    Indie Game Dev
    Singapore
    Minor Tweaks

Before proceeding on to adding more content, I thought it'd be a better idea to address some of the feedback we received during playtesting.

One of the minor changes we've made was to reduce the size of the nodes hoping it'd look better.

Before & After:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Another change we added is even more subtle. It has to do with the amount of time you have to wait for the lines to reach the edge (after the final split) of the game area before the level restarts. To fix that, we gradually speed up the line after the final split.

Here are the gifs for comparison:
    Before:
    [​IMG]

After:
    [​IMG]

8. chinykian

Sep 1, 2016
    Indie Game Dev
    Singapore
    Each level in the game is to be cleared within a certain number of splits. Till now, we have been relying on displaying a number on the top-left corner of the screen to communicate to the players the number of splits remaining - it proves to be fairly ineffective (few people notice the label, much less read it while solving the puzzle).

Consequently, we're trying a different approach to displaying the split counts, as featured below. We'll need to test this.

[​IMG]

In other news, our artist who's previously worked with us on Spacejacked has offered to help improve the looks of the game. Early mockups seem promising. It may be a while before we're done with the graphical upgrade, but we look forward to showing it to everyone once it's ready!

9. chinykian

Sep 1, 2016
    Indie Game Dev
    Singapore
    It's been awhile since our last update, and I thought I should at least explain why.
    I've recently took up a new part-time job, and the job training is taking up quite a bit of time. As for the rest of my time, I had to spend it on updating Spacejacked, which we're currently busy working on to bring to PS4.

That said, please watch this space for the next update! Hopefully we'd have gotten the graphical improvements in by then! =)

10. Neverswim

Neverswim Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2017
    gameplayer
    Beijing, China
    Keep going bro, really look forward to this! if there's any test version please let me know!

11. chinykian

Sep 1, 2016
    Indie Game Dev
    Singapore
    Thanks mate!

12. chinykian

Sep 1, 2016
    Indie Game Dev
    Singapore
    Testing out new splitting-angle

Wrote some code to support different splitting angles - here's one really weird one.

On a separate note, we've finally gotten started(phew!) on integrating the new art assets. It'll be awhile but please look forward to it.

13. chinykian

Sep 1, 2016
    Indie Game Dev
    Singapore
    Revamped art assets

Finally got around to integrating the new art assets - here it is!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also added functionality to scale do-dads in our level editor.
    [​IMG]

14. chinykian

Sep 1, 2016
    Indie Game Dev
    Singapore
    Work-in-progress World Selection

Here I am testing out the very much still-in-development world selection screen.

We've decided upon separating the levels based on the mechanics introduced, as well as the difficulty in general.

15. unexpect3rd

unexpect3rd Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2011
    Mobile Game Developer (Fulltime as well as indie)
    Singapore
    thumbsup dudes. I did that for Singularity, separated mechanics into new "chapters", the first few stages of a new chapter would introduce the new mechanic, then the later stages will have combinations of mechanics from previous chapters. This also makes for a nice upward-zigzag difficulty curve.

16. chinykian

Sep 1, 2016
    Indie Game Dev
    Singapore
    Thanks for the insight! Looks like I'll be playing Singularity for research ;)

17. chinykian

Sep 1, 2016
    Indie Game Dev
    Singapore
    Tracking progress

Did a couple things for tracking progress in the game.

[​IMG]

Clicking on individual world nodes will result in the displaying of the number of levels completed in that particular node, as well as the number of stars collected. I will probably have to change the layout thanks to iPhone X's design.

Also made changes to the level selection screen so it now reflects which exact levels have been completed.