iPad Fastlane Street Racing (now v1.3) $0.99 Sale

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by TMAC34, Nov 14, 2008.

1. TMAC34

TMAC34 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2008
    New York
    #1 TMAC34, Nov 14, 2008
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2009
    Developer Notes : "How to Drift Video" . Tips and Tricks

Jump to beginning of v1.1 discussion here.

See also: Fastlane Street Racing: Finishing Times & Remarks

.http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=296234012&mt=8

Haha I just read what I had said when I first made the thread and a bit has changed since then. Fastlane is an awesome racer for the iPhone and I think it is way overlooked in talks of the best iPhone racers. I still play this, after having it almost a year, and it never gets old. I think that everyone should have Fastlane on there iDevice since it is such a great game. Great graphics, controls, and everything else about the app is too. Fastlane is definitely in my top 3 favorite iDevice games of all time, and trust me I have a lot

2. dannys95

dannys95 Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2008
    Earth
    same here. i want to see if the controls and physics are good, if it dosen't get boring, if it's worth it and if it's better than raging thunder. oh and how many levels / stages?

3. Fazzy

Fazzy Well-Known Member

Just got it. Game looks great, though the controls and the sharp turns aren't very favorable. Great game for the price, though.

4. dannys95

Sep 29, 2008
    Earth
    is it better than asphalt and raging thunder? i mean control, graphics, phsics, and overall wise......

5. Fazzy

Fazzy Well-Known Member

I don't like the controls much, they're not sensitive enough.. I guess you can change that though... At some turns I was literally turning my Ipod upside-down to make the turn... Overall it seems like a nice game, though..

6. dannys95

Sep 29, 2008
    Earth
    fazzy check the settings page and the menu of the game and see if they have a control sensetivity setting. i want to buy but im not sure..... worth it?

7. Fazzy

Fazzy Well-Known Member

They do, but even with that it still wasn't sensitive enough for me... Other than that it looks like a nice game for 6 bucks.

8. dannys95

Sep 29, 2008
    Earth
    k. i'll wait for arn's review though. :)

9. Fazzy

Fazzy Well-Known Member

Yeah... I should have done that too... I'm a very impulsive buyer.

10. eyemh8

eyemh8 Well-Known Member

Oct 28, 2008
    To stay stupid
    Estes Park co.
    I like this more than any of the other racers out so far been playing for a half hour and seems to be plenty of unlockables and great look with light traffic sun glare and monorail trains over head etc... my only complaint is the lack of body roll and car damage the secret to handling is drifting (witch im still working on) but seams to be plenty responsive if you can get a handle on that

11. Carlos-Sz

Carlos-Sz Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2008
    Yes. Drifting... Each car has its own way to drift... I didn't find my car yet. :mad:

Arcade mode could be more arcade indeed (easier to handle).

Anyway, the sense of speed is good. :)

12. I tried to find it in the app store but it's not showing up. Those embeded links don't work for me for some reason. I'll check back tomorrow, mabey it's not released in my region yet.

13. darwiniandude

darwiniandude Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2008
    From the couple of tracks I've played so far, I very much doubt I'll ever fire up Asphalt 4 / GTS World Racing / Crash ever again.

It's extremely fast & fluid framerate wise, quite unlike iPhone racing games in that regard.

The drifting works well and once I learn to time it right I'll be able to fly around the track.

Looks exceptional.

Love it :)

I'll buy need for speed in a few days but this is a great game anyway, regardless of how that (nfs) turns out.

14. Mahaa93

Mahaa93 Well-Known Member

eww the controls are horrible! Making one turn without hitting a wall requires some great skill... ok not that much skill, but it still needs some work.

15. I'm buying. Of course I have doubts on how it handles just like every other racer I have bought. Trouble is I LOVE racers- especially accelerometer ones, so long as they are done right. Will posts my initial thoughts here later (and will no doubt write a review for my blog after a really good play too)

16. CrocStock

CrocStock Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2008
    I hope it's like Ridge Racer and I have some questions to ask for anyone thats bought it.

1) How many tracks are there in total?
    2) Is there time settings for tracks (day/night)?
    3) How are the graphics?

17. #17 wastedyuthe, Nov 14, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2008
    1) The description says 8 city routes, 2 circuits, 6 challenge tracks
    2) No. This is something I suggested on the TA blog, and the developer hasn't responded yet. I would love to pick from various times of day, with each having their own lighting and traffic level
    3) FANTASTIC! Really! Excellent. They look the best so far, and with a very smooth framerate.

I have had a little play, and in my first time trial I was banging into all the corners! However, by the end of the second time trial I have gotten used to the technique. I just did what the developer did in their video...

To drift around a corner, as you approach, TAP the brake button and turn into the corner as you then keep your other finger on the gas.

On my way to work now, so will be able to play more there after my breakfast (I have a good job :p )
    So far I like how it controls very much, especially now I can drift around corners. Yes, you will sometimes bang into corners still, but this is a more realistic control, and you will have to learn to slow down/drift earlier on the tighter corners. The car FEELS like a proper heavy weight instead of dinky toy- know what I mean? Great so far, but only done a couple of time trials. More later then.

18. Slayer_megadeth

Slayer_megadeth Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    Student
    India
    ok first up, The city is pretty cool. Uptown is amazing. The best visuals on ipod touch till now!. you really get a sense of speed at 320 mph. Lacks any collision physics. if u collide at 320 mph it simply stops.

Pros: Lots of cars, Awesome graphics, Great sound

Cons: Cars just don't feel right, Average handling, No car physics at all

Worth $6

19. Thanks for your opinion Slayer. However, I personally disagree about the cars not feeling right. On the contrary, I think this is the most realistic car handling yet on the iPhone/Touch. The cars don't smash when you bang them into walls- but neither did Grand Tourismo. I'm not saying this is as realistic as GT, but it certainly is the most realistic out of the iPhone racers so far, and I LOVE the control. Drifting is a breeze once you know what to do. I keep my thumb on the gas and just tap once on the brake and turn into the corner (still with my thumb on the gas). It's excellent control as far as I am concerned.
    I agree with you on everything else.

20. currymutton

currymutton Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    From the video, the graphics and the sense of speed is the best, so far. I am not very much into accelerometer games, but well, I may change.

The only concern right now is I may not want to put down US$6 for something just to try on -- if they can give out a free "lite" version, that would be very great. However, the only "racer" game with a free trial version, afaik, is "Black Mamba Racer"...