iPad Fastlane lite

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by jawslover, Feb 3, 2009.

1. jawslover

jawslover Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2008
    JERICHO, KS
    #1 jawslover, Feb 3, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 3, 2009
    [App Store Link]

See: Thread on Full Version of Fastlane.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. salsamd

salsamd Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 1, 2008
    San Francisco, CA
    Not clear what is in the lite version...

3. cmd2010

cmd2010 Member

Jan 20, 2009
    Sad thing is that I've bought this game over a month ago and I haven't really played it yet. I think I'm buying too many games to keep up! :p

4. Silver Orange

Silver Orange Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2008
    California
    Awesome!!!!!!! I wasn't sure if I should get Fastlane and now I can see for myself. Love the fact that more good games are making lite versions to try. I wish ferrari had one...

5. Chumbake

Chumbake Well-Known Member

Tried it, makes me want to buy it

6. VoodooVyper

VoodooVyper Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2009
    Just one race with one lap, hard or easy. No choice to pick or even look at different cars (except those you're racing with). It answers the question "I wonder what fastlane is like" thought and probably won't leave you undecided on the full version once you finish the lite.

7. gunstar808

gunstar808 Member

Jan 21, 2009
    Honolulu, HI
    Nice, I really wanted to check out Fastlane, but wasn't sure. Just downloaded the lite version gonna check it out.

8. Exactly. Different cars to choose from isn't really a necessity in a lite version. All you need to know is how the game plays and if you enjoy it. I am sure one car and one track in two difficulties will suffice.

9. yourofl10

yourofl10 Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2008
    downloading right now

it looks like a great game

10. Seien

Seien Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Also downloading, I've been waiting to try this one out before buying. Thank you iShoot for having success due to your lite version. This has paved the way for a lot more games releasing lite versions :)

11. don_k

don_k Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2008
    I played the full version on my friend's iPhone. I think the lite version should definitely include the music from the trailer that hypsup uploaded on his youtube. That one rocks, the one in the lite version is too 'Ferrari GT-ish'.

It should be 2 instead of 1 lap. I know you just want to give a taste, but what most devs don't realise is if they dumb down the lite version too much, people might end up being not impressed at all.

I remember a while ago there was also a lite version which doesn't do justice to the full version. I can't remember the name but it was a shame.

12. Fletch

Fletch Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2009
    The Internet
    Just downloaded the lite version, and having tried it out for a little bit i'm having trouble successfullly drifting...any suggestions? it doesn't seem to help at all i just kind of skid into the wall...

13. Lap? Is the Lite track a circuit then? If it's one of the circuit tracks and not a 'route' (point-to-point) then I think that is a bit of a mistake by the dev. I would have thought he'd provide the first route in the lite version, and keep the less-impressive circuits for the full version.

14. salsamd

salsamd Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 1, 2008
    San Francisco, CA
    #14 salsamd, Feb 3, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2009
    How to drift.

See also: this thread

[hqyoutube]2C_EqfbSeHg[/hqyoutube]

15. Fletch

Fletch Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2009
    The Internet
    ahh...thanks, that clears things up

16. nizy

nizy Well-Known Member

Been holding off of getting this because I haven't enjoyed too many of the others racers i've got (in order: GTS, Asphalt, Racing Thunder, Crash, Low Grav, SlotZ) and wasn't sure as I've read many mixed reviews, especially concerning the control of the drift.

Just tried out the lite version and really like it. Love the drifting, reminds me of my days playing Ridge Racer on PS1...:cool:

Anyway just paid £2.39 for the full version, so it worked on me! :D

17. ipressbuttons

ipressbuttons Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2008
    ew whats up with the insane amount of pop up? hmm game-play rules though so is the pop up only on that track?

18. spiffyone

spiffyone Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2008
    Some people (like me) prefer the "tilt quickly into the turn" style, others prefer the brake method. Find the one that's best suited to your play style.

19. spiffyone

spiffyone Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2008
    The game uses a pretty aggressive LOD (level of detail) management system, it seems, so that accounts for the pop up. The graphics for the cars, tracks, lighting, etc. are all pretty advanced for the hardware (Fastlane is probably the best looking racer so far on the platform), but that means that some things have to be aggressively managed. Hence not only the pop up, but also, well...do a U turn on the tracks and try to run them in the opposite direction. You'll see that once you pass areas of the tracks, they are no longer rendered.

There are games with less pop up (Ferrari GT) and some with very little pop up at all (Fast and the Furious Pink Slip 3D), but none have car models, lighting effects, etc. that look as good as Fastlane. To boot, Fastlane seems to move at a faster clip than Ferrari GT, though not as fast and smooth as the vastly underrated Pink Slip.

20. ipressbuttons

ipressbuttons Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2008
    yeah i totally agree it looks great overall, is the developer like a solo dev or is he part of a company it's and impressive game :)