iPhone Fastar! (by Cat in a Box Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by ImNoSuperMan, Jul 29, 2010.

1. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany

You should read more carefully.
    And... am I not allowed to criticise?

2. RttaM

RttaM Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2010
  3. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

It was made pretty clear what the game is and isn't.

4. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    wow. you're kidding bro.
    this game is about beating levels as quick humanly possible and mauling people on the online boards, not sure what you're looking for..
    dungeon hunter 2 brah?

5. Vinvy

Vinvy Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2010
    I agree with the sentiment, but everything has a style(this game has a very distinct style style), and the issue has nothing to do with the graphics, just the art direction. This game's style is just unnapealing, ''quickly drawn flash game,'' no matter how long it took, is an apt description. Workmanlike, uninspired, boring, dull, they go completely against the gameplay, they don't enhance it at all. I am sure lot's here will defend the game no-matter what, because the community here can't allow devs to suffer any crisisim sometimes, especially devs of very FUN games(which this one is), there will be lot's of people saying the graphics are amazing, but I feel like it was a mistake, and it is seriously detracting from my enjoyment of the game.

I don't actually expect, or think the dev should have to, change the style as a lot of work already went into the game, but in voicing my opinion of it I hope other devs don't go ahead and try to imitate it in the future.

At the very least, I hope much like others, for more customization of the lead character's appearance, complete overhauls, helmets, hair, clothes, weapons, there could be tonnes done with this, and it would help flesh out the leaderboards a lot.

6. Spaztrigger

Spaztrigger Well-Known Member

Apr 4, 2010
    Under your bed
    I joined the "support" group

7. tdoto

tdoto Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2008
    agreed, made the purchase after all this hype talk here and it's pretty repetitive and boring. It's a game that would be more catered to 10 and under. With all these positive reply's it's almost as if TA has outsourced people to post positive reviews as an advertising solution.

8. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    #168 Vovin, Jul 30, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2010

I know that the game is not deep and more a parody on quite some things, but it's just squares, squares, squares... Not more, not less.

9. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

The moderators are pretty good about hunting down multiple accounts and developer shilling, you can look at the previous posts of people who have posted favorable things about this game and see they've spend a considerable time around here... But don't let that crumple your tin foil hat. :)

10. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    I have to agree with what others stated, I'm not going to claim this game is great, but you need to evaluate it on what the description bills it as. This is a silly mini-game of a RPG so if you go in expecting something deep with an engaging storyline and a wide array of beasties you simply weren't paying attention to what everyone before you already said.

I mean this review feels like something I might have done for Fire Mint's Real Racing where I rate it a 3/10 because, sure it might be a great racing simulator and is pretty much just what the description of the game said...but I really dislike racing games. :rolleyes:

11. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

How is this any worse than your typical action RPG for the iPhone which might have 6 sprites on the top end that are all just endlessly recolored?

12. Spaztrigger

Spaztrigger Well-Known Member

Apr 4, 2010
    Under your bed
    :eek::eek::eek:

13. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    My point is: it is too simple. More simple as simple. I like simple games - I have alot of them. But this is a class below simple.

14. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

I don't think you're playing the same game as we are. Either that, or you read nothing about the game, just made up what you thought it was in your head, and then were disappointed when reality clashed with that. I'm really not sure what to say.

15. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany

Are you talking about Chaos Rings, Steam Pirates, Monster RPG 2 or Xenome?

16. runformoney1110

runformoney1110 Well-Known Member

May 6, 2010
    Graphic designer
    In your closet
    It's his problem. let him sulk about that. Why are we discussing about this if we can indulge in Fastar! goodness?

17. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    #177 Vovin, Jul 30, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2010

Then... say nothing at all. ;)
    But I think you're right. It's not my game, my style of gfx or the way I like a game to be. Not m cup of tea.
    Tastes differ.

18. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

Four excellent examples of 99¢ games based around simplicity.

19. Vinvy

Vinvy Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2010
    Those games are terrible too, should we praise this for doing it even worse? You don't make a good arugment for Fastar here at all.

This game could have been taken to another level if the art direction was stronger, if the enemies were varied visually(they already behave differently
    ).

20. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany

You asked for my typical RPG :)