iPhone Fastar! (by Cat in a Box Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by ImNoSuperMan, Jul 29, 2010.

1. r10k

r10k Well-Known Member

Oct 28, 2009
    +1

If a game is bad, say so. If it's not your thing, just move on and play something else.

2. madmud101

madmud101 Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2009
    Lol, what is it with you and your annoying sayings lately!?

3. Epox

Epox Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2010
    I understand it completely, i don't get what you mean??? :confused: I am just telling other people what I thought of the game. There is nothing wrong with that.

4. Rangerlump

Rangerlump Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2010
    I know devs get tired of the "good idea fairy" constantly tellling them what to add to a game. This would have alot more replayability if there was a store to unlock costume pieces, hates, armors, shirts, swords, masks, etc....totally cosmetic but would add more reasons to keep playing!

5. #365 Mindfield, Aug 26, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2010
    I decided to try it just for the hell of it. It's an entertaining little game, but frankly, the fact that it uses time as your entire goal just doesn't work for me. But it's fun just to hack your way through, and it's well for what it is with a good sense of humour.

Unfortunately it doesn't work for me all of a sudden. It starts to load a game -- any mode -- and sits there on the game type icon without actually going into the game. I can go back to springboard and reload, and it'll give me the pause menu (with the game mode icon overlaid on top) but still won't go anywhere. Somehow, it managed to screw itself up. I'm going to try killing it and reinstalling it.

EDIT: Nope. Even deleting and redownloading it, it doesn't work at all. Rebooted, nothing. However, once I killed every single task, it started working again. After reloading tasks one by one and reloading in between each, I found out that it does not like Radio Alarm. Sorry, but Radio Alarm takes precedence. This game has to go.

6. this game is incredible

which spell do you guys usually choose?

i like the lightning stun. it helps kill the black square :DD

7. DaviddesJ

DaviddesJ Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    When you say, "The concept itself makes this game bad," that is more than just relating your experience of the game. It's explaining that you are predisposed against this entire type of game. You're telling us that you don't like this type of game, and so you don't think other people should either. But why not?

8. ThunderingSteam

ThunderingSteam Active Member

Mar 23, 2010
    Ohio, USA
    Man, what an awesome and different game. I've been playing games since the Atari 2600 and never in my life have I been squashed by a killer super giganimus square. lol! Great work, devs. :D

9. JackHagan

JackHagan Active Member

May 27, 2010
    Not really... As a Damage Over Time spell, yeah, it sucks. It doesn't do a lot of damage, and it only lasts a couple of seconds. Where it really shines, though, is it MASSIVELY reduces the square's defense. Your sword can rack up a LOT of damage while they're on fire... That said, I don't really use it. I stick to LIYF, so I've got a emergency fall-back. But just remember, when a square casts fire on YOU... just bump into them, and they're sizzling too. :)

10. Epox

Epox Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2010
    i told you the concept of fighting boxes repetitively where the boxes do the same actions over and over.

11. Donovan1209

Donovan1209 Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2010
    United States
    Play on the hard mode where they use spells

12. Osujxu

Osujxu Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Which spells do you guys use the most?

13. Qordobo

Qordobo Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2010
    Clearly from the start of its release I felt it as a hype. But seeing it keeping a good popularity here started made me think I was wrong in my guess. Then I got it for free and tried it bit. Well I came here to check what I was missing and wondering what people enjoy in it, before drop it.

First feeling was, a platform game with only one platform so a totally uninteresting exploration, no sort of puzzles and usual stuff of platform games. And from RPG only one skill to choose among 9 plus just 2 attributes to increase, no real shops nor story. Also even if I quoted cubes had different schemes, I didn't noticed that it makes fights more diversified.

But then I noticed in this thread that a harder difficulty should be tried when I tried only easy. And after one game at normal level, ok I have to try it more before to drop it, fights become clearly a bit more interesting and I haven't tried hard yet.

People should not hope a RPG here, nor a platformer, It's more an original beat'm all with some fake RPG elements and totally oriented on scores and time. The good point to find in this game is mainly the fights and how beat each opponent the faster.

One advice to the dev, default difficulty level should be normal, I bet many people like me won't bother change the default and will feel the game tedious and won't bother try it more.

In any case don't drop the game before to try at least the normal difficulty level. I'm still interrogative about the fun level of the game but I'm a lot more curious now I tried it at normal level.

14. Tikicobra

Tikicobra Well-Known Member

Apr 3, 2010
    This game is ugly as sin, but the gameplay's decent.

15. r10k

r10k Well-Known Member

Oct 28, 2009
    Ugly as sin? It isn't the best looking game in the universe, but it's miles away from being ugly.

16. uberarcade

uberarcade Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2009
    Software Developer
    Nashville
    Game Impressions

I love this game! Who knew that killing squares would be so much fun. It is my new favorite way to kill a few minutes on the iPhone.

17. walsh06

walsh06 Well-Known Member

for anyone who is complaining consider this:

if the boxes are replaced by zombies is the game now worth playing??

I think half the fun of this is how it breaks down most games to something so simple, fighting boxes. Its not about complex enemies with certain weak points located 10 cm from their tail (crazy example).

18. Osujxu

Osujxu Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2010
    100% agreed

19. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    It's great seeing another update here, but is there any way you could move the buttons further left on the 4inch screens? I'm still reaching my thumb to the center of the screen trying to move right...