iPhone Fastar! (by Cat in a Box Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by ImNoSuperMan, Jul 29, 2010.

1. coconutbowling

coconutbowling Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    Student
    Pennsylvania
    no more beef spam!

I just bought this game yesterday and have been having a blast trying to beat my old times. It's very well polished and seems like something I'd see on addicting games. I don't dare to try marathon mode though.

2. Chief Indy

Chief Indy Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2010
    Finally I can actually get on top of the Monocolour boards :p

3. Just thought I should clarify here exactly how the leaderboards have been affected by the change to BEEF spamming.

Versions 1.0 and 1.0.1 technically each have their own separate leaderboards. However:

• All scores from the 1.0 boards have been copied to the 1.0.1 boards, except Battlemage and monocolor mode scores using only the BEEF spell.
    • For a little while, on occasion we will continue to bring over new scores on the 1.0 boards to the 1.0.1 boards that meet the above conditions.
    • When someone upgrades to version 1.0.1, their local top scores are automatically resubmitted to the global leaderboards (again, provided they meet the above conditions), so they will end up on the 1.0.1 boards.

What we hope the net effect of all this is, scores in Battlemage and monocolor modes using BEEF will only appear in version 1.0's leaderboards, and everything else is largely untouched, kind of. =)

4. ColeDaddy

ColeDaddy Silver Supporter<br>Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Mar 20, 2010
    Male
    Sojourner
    Washington D.C.
    The simplistic artwork is what kept me away as I've been "doodled Out" of my noodle. But, I trust the voices in my head...er, this forum and bought it...(to quiet the voices)...to have some fun...yeah...that's it...

5. vicente.ramirezch

vicente.ramirezch Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jan 8, 2009
    Santiago, Chile.
    Woot! Now available for FREE! Link.

6. The Bat Outta Hell

The Bat Outta Hell Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Mar 10, 2009
    Hat Salesman
    Washington
    What an amazing game to go free.

7. TiltMyTouch

TiltMyTouch Well-Known Member

Jun 10, 2010
    My goodness. This app went from full of steam to FAAD? Quite amazing, the App Store is.

8. IceMonkey

IceMonkey Member

Mar 29, 2010
    Disappointing really, it still gets regular goes on my iPhone as well. Received great reviews all around, just didn't get picked up by forum goers as much.

9. Epox

Epox Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2010
    Please do not flame for this. I absolutely do not like this game and would not recommend this to anyone not even when its free. This game is about a guy fighting boxes. The concept itself makes this game bad and many people in the App Store agree with me. The gameplay is pretty much the same and you can learn to predict moves easily. Buy it now when its free if you want...

10. Whosatm

Whosatm Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2010
    Agreed... It is too good to go free I think.

11. TiltMyTouch

Jun 10, 2010
    How do you buy something that's free? :confused:

12. acrotran

acrotran Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2010
    Free? That's shocking. Great game.

To the dev: Why not let players choose if they want to fight monsters or boxes? Some people get bent out of shape over it.

13. gammabeam

gammabeam Well-Known Member

Love this game!

I'm very divided into warning my friend that this is free now - I really think they should BUY it!

14. Epox

Epox Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2010
    My bad lol typo I meant get it.

15. TiltMyTouch

Jun 10, 2010
    Ah don't worry about it. Just a joke :p

16. Mew2468

Mew2468 Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2008
    Vancouver, BC
    Fight Angry Squares: The Action RPG!

The point of the game is that you are fighting squares; it's not supposed to be a 3D 400 hour console RPG.

17. Doffie

Doffie Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Retired, now concentrating on good works and good
    Storrs, CT
    Homage to Henry

I enjoy the game. It makes me laugh, but then I'm a sucker for whimsy.
    What I _really_ like is Henry's sense of humor. Just read the "history" of Fastar on the Cat in a Box Games blog and it's just wonderful.

http://w2.catinaboxgames.com/#blog/read/65

So, thank you for that as well as the game, Henry.

18. Egoyan

Egoyan Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Beijing/Montréal
    Well, downloaded it, played it, didn't like it. I kind of hate saying this, but I just felt like I was wasting my time playing this. I really don't feel that way about many games. I guess I just didn't "get it".

I can see why others might like it, though. Everything about it seems to be good, well, except the concept. It's just really not for me.

19. Karuko

Karuko Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2009
    I bought it and tried it when it first came out. Haven't touched it since. It's nice but doesn't seem to click for me. Shame the developer has to resort to giving it free to everyone for exposure.

20. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Dude I know you asked not to be flamed, so consider this honest advice: when you don't understand something, just don't speak.