iPhone Fastar! (by Cat in a Box Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by ImNoSuperMan, Jul 29, 2010.

1. GregB

GregB Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2009
    I'm loving this game. Has replaced Zombieville for me with a fresh experience with depth and quicksave under iOS4. Each mode is like a new dynamic puzzle to be solved. Great fun and plays fab.

2. ataloss

ataloss Well-Known Member

LOL... nice :D I think they used a much higher "class" of graphics package ;)

3. The Bat Outta Hell

The Bat Outta Hell Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Mar 10, 2009
    Hat Salesman
    Washington
    Gaming snobs are hilarious.

4. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2009
    I've been addicted to this game all day. Definitely unique and worth the $.99.

Sadly my highest ranking out of all the game modes is 26 on Learn to Play haha. Working on an arena high score, 79 my 2nd try. I think I can get past 90 if I'm a little more careful.

5. Spaztrigger

Spaztrigger Well-Known Member

Apr 4, 2010
    Under your bed
    Fastar needs new enemies...........like triangles!

6. klicktock

klicktock Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2009
    Director of KlickTock
    Ballarat, Vic, Australia
    Cool game with a great sense of humour. As someone who's trying to design games that can be played in only a short amount of time, this was inspiring stuff. Well done!

If any of you enjoy this you should check out this other hilarous game. Very "Half Minute Hero".

http://itunes.apple.com/au/app/am-i-a-hero/id327662515?mt=8

7. starmonkey101

starmonkey101 Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2009
    FLA, USA
    n e one?!

8. C.C

C.C Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2009
    Woohoo 1st on Battlemage :D. I kind of hate the fact that the only way to first place in most of the modes are by stacking up def though. Kinda ruins the game with one OP power. Yes I know used it myself but I also acknowledge it is really a cheap way of winning.

9. Mew2468

Mew2468 Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2008
    Vancouver, BC
    I know, right? Honestly, if you can't appreciate the choice of graphics used in a game then you just fail. How would the game look in Gameloft-like 3D?

10. exalep

exalep Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2009
    So you don't like games like tetris, bejeweled, etc? These games all have simple graphics. What's the difference between falling shapes and moving squares?

11. LKR

LKR Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2009
    Earth
    Oh my god, you're so right! Thanks for helping me see the light. I'll stop wasting my time on these awful boxes straight away and go off to play Call of Duty instead.

12. GregB

GregB Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2009
    Does buying mostly or all defense allow for fast run-through times? I'm scoring top 20-40 on the modes and don't see how people finish the levels in under 2 minutes (except the Green Square level which I figured out).

13. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Please include an option to lock the orientation - as cool as the auto-flip is, for those of us using tap controls it means the accelerometer is on (and using extra power) for no real use.

Thanks in advance,
    Drelbs :)

14. thumbs07

thumbs07 Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2010
    UK
    this thread asks for impressions and I've posted that. Not every impression is going to be positive. Any developer worth a damn won't listen to just their those who lick up everything they do, but also listen to those who haven't- and I have posted constructive reasoning.
    (also just to point out -am not a gaming snob- which seems like a zealous fanboi retort that somebody dares dislike a game)

15. Hey all, just wanted to drop in and let you know that we're currently working on a minor update for Fastar!. It will address bugs in the high scores system, and yes, it will address the BEEF exploit (which, as it turns out, is part oversight and part glitch). Unfortunately, this *will* affect recorded high scores, but we're trying to minimize that effect. Once we know for sure how recorded scores will be affected, we'll let you know.

Thanks again for all your support, guys, it means a lot to us. =) And again, I have no problem with negative impressions of the game -- it's a weird little entity, this thing we've made, and it's obviously not going to appeal to everyone. I'll sit over here with a Pepsi, you sit over here with a Coke, and we'll all enjoy the sun, deal? =)

16. da shiz wiz 19

da shiz wiz 19 Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2009
    I've noticed that people who post negative impressions usually don't understand sarcasm.

17. xCaptainx

xCaptainx Active Member

Feb 21, 2010

Please dont delete my Showdown #1 score! :(

18. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Is it just me having been an avid beta tester on many games that never understood the SACREDNESS of highscores?

If a new version changes how the scores are calculated, sorry, old scores will be wiped. At most maybe you could make a little link on the product homepage that shows the old Top 20 of each mode once the update has gone live. I'm willing to bet those at 343rd place on the old boards really won't care if their record is preserved. ;)

19. DaviddesJ

DaviddesJ Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    It's pretty simple. You've got thousands of people who play the game who like comparing themselves to others but who don't care at all if the scores get reset. In fact, it might even be a plus for them. Then you've got a few people whose ego is wrapped up in their high scores and want to preserve them forever. But what happens is the latter type of people are much, much, much more likely to participate in forums like this one, so you hear from them a lot more.

20. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    That must be it!

I mean nothing irks me more than those who bitch and moan about a score reset when that score might have been gained via exploiting a loophole. I mean if a loophole is there I say, have at it, but at the same time, once this exploit is fixed do you really expect your now ridiculous scores to stand?

If not man enough to re-earn your top score in a new version, you're tacitly admitting without a glitch or some fluke of luck you doubt you'll ever score anything close to that again?