FarFinder companion app is out

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by starjimstar, Mar 16, 2009.

1. starjimstar

starjimstar Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2008
    Entrepreneur
    Canada
  2. goblues11

goblues11 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2008
    What does it do? For those of us who cannot reach iTunes right now

3. starjimstar

Sep 28, 2008
    Entrepreneur
    Canada
    It is supposed to replace the MobileSafari interface. It also looks as though it has the capacity to transfer files between iDevice and mac but I can't use it long enough before it crashes to know for sure. Hopefully an update will soon show us what this app can really do.

4. iGewappnet

iGewappnet Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2008
    Mainz, Germany
    It is something like a mix of VNC and AirSharing/MobileStudio/Files/Briefcase/ReaddleDocs/etc. You can remotely use your Mac and copy files to your iPhone for offline usage. The iPhone app is free, BUT the needed Mac program will cost you 35 Dollar!

5. starjimstar

Sep 28, 2008
    Entrepreneur
    Canada
    FarFinder allows you to upload, download and email files on your mac. It is not VNC, however. It is a server that allows you to access files on your mac using the ubiquitous web browser. It is true that if you do not have FarFinder, this app will be useless for you and you should not bother downloading it. It is also true that version 1.0 of this app is so buggy that, even if you have FarFinder, this app will be useless for you and you should stick to using a web browser for the time being.

You can visit the Flying Mac website to learn more, if you wish: http://flyingmac.com/farfinder/

6. starjimstar

Sep 28, 2008
    Entrepreneur
    Canada
    Finally, an update. The fatal crashes have been fixed, only to reveal a poo storm of previously inaccessible bugs. The camera buttons do not always appear; the bottom row of file and folder names is hidden behind the menu bar; and, oh yeah, it still crashes frequently. Although not a bug, I would also like to see an option to give machines aliases so I don't have to decipher cryptic user names when selecting the computer to connect to. I am not giving up hope yet because VelaClock took many months and updates to finally get it all right. One day this will be a fine utility.