Faraway 2 - First-Person Puzzle Adventure

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by ps_tom, Aug 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ps_tom

ps_tom Member

May 13, 2017
    Hi everyone!

I'm happy to share that we at Pine Studio are working on a sequel to Faraway: Puzzle Escape. We're leaving desert dunes and going deep into a mysterious rainforest. There's 18 new temples to explore, lots of new puzzles to solve and secrets to uncover ;)

Without further ado, here's the first glimpse into Faraway 2.

[​IMG]

2. TheGreatEscaper

TheGreatEscaper Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2014
    Looking amazing, just like the first :)

3. 19civciV

19civciV Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2015
    Level Designer, Social Media Marketing & Managemen
    Nantes, France
    I can't waiiit !!!! :)
    Where is it going to launch ?

I really expect a lot of secrets on this new game !

4. gamingaficionado

gamingaficionado Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2017
    finished faraway yesterday. there were some great ideas and ingenious thought process to nab the notes. however some puzzles were kinda redundant and appeared a lot of times (light up the empty tiles on the boards with the revolving lights for example).

moreover, i found the last puzzle's laser circuit segment infuriating with the control scheme. it became a test of patience rather than wit and it was a let down as far as a final puzzle goes.

i am not going to hide that i like the navigation process of clicking somewhere and being taken to that location but sometimes you click somewhere to see of something is hidden and you get taken to a location. i know you want to keep the minimalist scheme but maybe look into this for the sequel?

the himt system is great but it doesn't really showcase the mentality behind the solution. and it doesn't give hints on how to acquire the notes. maybe charge seperately for hints exclusive to notes if you really want to make a profit out of it.

i hope the sequel builds up on this premise and features longer puzzles (how about the free ones are bite-sized with the paid ones much longer?), and more inventive/varied puzzles.

best of luck.

5. ps_tom

ps_tom Member

May 13, 2017
    It's coming out on App Store and Google Play in... well... we're not sure yet. It never turned out good for us to reveal the release date :p

Secrets - confirmed.

6. ps_tom

ps_tom Member

May 13, 2017
    I take all the blame for the puzzles on last level... They looked good to me on the paper :(

In general the navigation system will work the same. We did do a few tweaks and polished it more. I think in this specific case it's going to be better because you will be able to instantly go back; and we pay more attention to it in level design.

There won't be hints for notes. We did think about different versions of hints. The text versions didn't really take hold because puzzles are often dealing with abstract objects/shapes and it's not easy to put into words.

That said, combining current hint system with a caption in some scenes might be a big improvement when explaining hints. I'll look into it.

Faraway 2 plays around with the formula of the puzzles from the original. I think it's much more mature in it's design. But that's going to be for players to decide. Also, no laser mazes! :)

7. gamingaficionado

gamingaficionado Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2017
    thanks for the detailed feedback! always a pleasure to see devs communicating simply and calmly.

i'll support you in this sequel as i did with the first one.

8. ddlatham

ddlatham New Member

Aug 30, 2017
    Dreams

2006-11-16

I dream of lush forests, filled with temples. I think the sand is part of the test.

9. ps_tom

ps_tom Member

May 13, 2017
    It's time for another glimpse of Faraway 2. Development of the game is going well and we can't wait to share the game with everyone :)

[​IMG]

10. ps_tom

ps_tom Member

May 13, 2017