Fantasy strategy games?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by DezTheSpic, May 10, 2016.

1. DezTheSpic

DezTheSpic Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2014
    Hi everyone, was wondering if anyone has any recommendations for any fantasy (ie orcs, goblins, Knights, etc) turn based strategy, tower defence, lane defence, match 3 games or any other type of strategy?

2. ashmike3

ashmike3 Well-Known Member

May 15, 2014
    Demons Rise. Heroes of Steel. Hero Emblems (match 3 type). Spiderweb Games like Avernum 2

3. OrangutanKungfu

OrangutanKungfu Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2015
    Media
    UK
    There is, of course, the grandaddy Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions. Big price for the App Store, but it's a lot of game.

Warhammer Quest is also terrific. It's a strategy/RPG cross, and is one of the rare games where I bought loads of IAPs. Er, I wouldn't recommend buying the extra characters, other than for novelty value, as none is better than any of the original four. However, there are two loads of extra missions which are well worth it.

For less money, and with more of a Japanese samurai fantasy feel, there's Skulls of the Shogun. Er, it's got oni (demons) in it, but not really orcs and goblins. But it's a very good strategy game!

4. sinagog

sinagog Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2014
    Slay has knights...and it's one of my fave games on the appstore. The setting's admittedly completely superfluous compared to the gameplay, though. There's a lite version if you want to try it first.

Um, Might & Magic: Clash of Heroes, and the Heroes of Might and Magic 3 port's cool, though both are a bit buggy. You've already heard of Heroes and Castles 2, right? Right?!

5. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    Let's see what we have so far:
    Almost everything people mentioned is either a tactics game or an RPG, see my ramblings below.

First, strategy:
    Planar Conquest is the only full fantasy strategy game on iOS currently.
    Yes, it still has some bugs, but the devs are fantastic: very responsive, and fix stuff as fast as they can. Fantastic game, gets a huge recommendation from me; I wouldn't write huge guides for a crap game, after all :) Instead of babbling on for hours, I'll just point you to the huge thread.

- Final Fantasy Tactics: I threw this one out after under an hour. I found the UI absolutely unbearable: They ported it 1:1, so you get the exact same clunky menu UI as on Playstation. Only that on a touchscreen it's even worse to navigate it.

- Warhammer Quest: Definitely recommended, solid tactics game and fun. Dropped over 100 hours into it.

- Demon's Rise: Another good tactics game. Still has some bugs as far as I know, though. Rajpreet (the dev) is very responsive here on TA, and doing awesome work; even more so for being a one-man show. And he's already working on DR 2.

- Heroes of Might and Magic 3 is a good mix of tactics and strategy. But I only played it on PC years ago, so I cannot comment on the bugs sinagog mentions.

- BattleLore:Command is another pretty good fantasy tactics game. Completed it twice and can definitely recommend it.
    - Same goes for Crowntakers: Fun game, meant to be played more than once.

- Heroes of Steel is a nice fantasy RPG, with tactical turn-based combat.
    - Same goes for the Spiderweb games: Fantastic RPGs, turn-based combat, highly recommended. But they are not strategy games, if that's what you are looking for.

And as usual, King of Dragon Pass gets a special mention:
    It's turn-based, it's Fantasy, but I am not sure if it meets your criteria. KoDP really is unique. Even if you normally prefer to push units around on a map, I highly recommend to take a look at it. Nothing comes even remotely close in terms of story-telling, atmosphere, immersion, and sheer scope.

6. OrangutanKungfu

Dec 29, 2015
    Media
    UK
    Passing over the fact I appear to be getting strategy and tactics games mixed up, I'll just add that Warhammer Quest has just gone on sale, so this is an excellent time to snap it up!

7. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    You were on point. Tactics games ARE strategy games. :)

8. Dankrio

Dankrio Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jun 3, 2014
    Why have I read that? Why?

9. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    Huh?

10. Dankrio

Dankrio Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jun 3, 2014
    Now I must play. :(

11. krobarr

krobarr New Member

May 19, 2016
    Europe
    I wish someone would port Fantasy General to iOS. Played it a lot years ago.

12. OrangutanKungfu

Dec 29, 2015
    Media
    UK
    Dankrio, you are right - you must play King of Dragon Pass. It's completely unique on the App Store, and absolutely brilliant.

13. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    Reiner knizia's The Confontation

14. francesprince

francesprince Member

May 19, 2016
    Battle-born, Doom-4, Overwatch.