iPad Falling Up

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by NotYou, Jan 14, 2009.

1. NotYou

NotYou Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Colorado
  2. it seemed very hard to move the pieces side to side

maybe i was doing it incorrectly

i deleted it and didn't rate it

3. NotYou

NotYou Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Colorado
    Yeah, they need to explain it somewhere. You have to tap on either side to move left and right, swipe down to drop, and tap the top to spin. It too me a while to figure it out completely.

4. kaolin

kaolin Member

Jan 14, 2009
    #4 kaolin, Jan 14, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2009
    I appreciate the feedback--I'm new to iphone development, still learning the ropes. :) I put instructions in the app description, but apparently those are too easy to skip (or perhaps don't even show up?).

Definitely open to suggestions (including putting instructions somewhere, maybe somewhere on the main screen?)

One note--slide works for drop, but you can also just double-tap down :) Whatever's easier (sliding apparently counts as a double-tap, sort of).

5. sam the lion

sam the lion Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Italy
    I also tried the game.
    I read about the controls in the app description but still had some problems... sometimes I tried to drop and instead I moved the piece on one side, or the contrary. I think you may give some visual on-screen information on the background as a reference for the four areas, so one's sure he's not tapping on the wrong place. Or maybe it's just a metter of getting used to it, I don't know.
    About the gameplay, since some of the rotations take multiple flips, sometimes I was not able to put the piece in the right place because I could not see the game field for a second or so, and I thought it wasn't very fare.

6. kaolin

kaolin Member

Jan 14, 2009
    I'm wondering a handful of things, if you don't mind--

[​IMG]

How well would you say the app description described the sketch for "current controls"?

And would you prefer "suggested controls" (someone emailed me); or something else? I'm thinking I might make the control settings an option, depending on feedback.

I'm also thinking I'll give a thin transparent overlay showing the controls, by default, that can be turned off in the settings. Does that sound too dorky? :)

That's just the game being evil ;) Some of the rotations don't stop until you get to the next level.

The next question is... how long does the app have to live? I've heard through the grapevine that the Tetris corporation is hunting down "falling tetronimo" games on the app store and hassling apple about them (and Apple's taking them down, regardless of actual legal standing). But that's just what I've heard...

I really appreciate the sounding board, all! :)

7. sam the lion

sam the lion Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Italy
    I think the app description was okay. I mean, I am not english native speaking but I understood what you intended without efforts.

Anyway, I was thinking exactly to a transparency of the first sketch as a great option! I'd surely like it. About the suggested new controls, they could be useful to hardcore tetris gamers that make great use of both rotations - I must say I didn't miss them particularly, but it would surely be ok.

Sorry about the bad news :( - I don't get what damage they could have by small apps. Bah. :mad: