Universal Fallen London (by Failbetter Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by TouchArcade Bot, Apr 19, 2016.

1. hoodwinkedfool

hoodwinkedfool Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2011
    Wonderful game, kinda ruined by an app full of bugs. I played the game years ago and had a blast, but trying to log in has been a nightmare. I wanted to delete my old character and start fresh but had to wait until I got to a computer because the app just wouldn't let me do it (you have to type "DELETE" to confirm then click "CONFIRM" but "CONFIRM" never comes up).
    Weird bugs and it down right froze a few times.
    I haven't had any sync issues but that would really really suck.
    Mainly the loading times make pick up and play a problem. This is the type of game you want to check on while on break and stuff but it takes 2-3 minutes to load and I'm on a 6s.

2. Am I the only one not getting sucked into the story or writing?

(I guess part of it may have to do with all the other issues.)

3. ashmike3

ashmike3 Well-Known Member

May 15, 2014
    I'm really liking this a lot after a second look. Not minding the timer too much, will likely subscribe.

4. Dankrio

Dankrio Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jun 3, 2014
    Same here. I've read wonderful things about the storytelling (which is what I value most), however I didn't get into it, which is a shame. :(

I really wanted to like it more.

5. Themagicjesus

Themagicjesus Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2012
    The more I play, the more I want to play even more which makes the ten minute timer even worse and there's no way I'm paying for "extra actions" in a mobile game.

6. Same. People I respect have been raving about it, but the words just don't grab me at all.

7. spader623

spader623 Well-Known Member

Jan 18, 2014
    It does take some time. It's not an instant 'Oumygos grsat story'. It's about how they build the world, the way the words flow, the reveal of monsters and people and magic and death and etc etc. having played sunless sea, and not ever being able to explore fallen London itself much, I'm very excited to learn about it.

8. istako

istako Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2012
    Needs fixes. Most urgently - install more data so it could load faster! 2-3 minutes of initial load time on WiFi is awful! Core game same as ever, if you like it. I like it for some reason.

9. badmanj

badmanj Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Software developer
    Reading, England
    So even if I subscribe to this via IAP, I'll still hit timers which presumably I'll need to pay more for if I don't want to wait?

Or does the subscription remove the timers entirely?

Trying to decide whether to go for this or not and my decision is primarily based on the answer to this question. I totally get why ongoing subs may be necessary but if players are hassled further to pay yet more money beyond that then that's just too greedy for me to bother with.

10. Lexyflexy555

Lexyflexy555 Member

Apr 18, 2016
    Wondering the same thing. If I'm paying a sub there better not be any timers, that's for F2P. If there are, not bothering with this

11. currymutton

currymutton Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    I read quite a number of rave reviews out there (e.g. Rock, Paper, Shotgun) so I guess the game itself is not that bad. At least the presentation is better than most "game book"-sic games out there.

But I am not really sure about the payment model (or "business" model if you insist). But I have already a bit too many other game books to follow (Choices is one of such) so I am not sure if I have the time to invest into this one

And nobody seems to write a clear explanation how the payment thing works.

12. elfspelth

elfspelth Member

Jun 4, 2012
    Came here just to complain about the 9.1 requirement. I hope they'll open it up to earlier iOS versions and fix some of those nasty bugs people have reported.

13. Bloodangel

Bloodangel Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2011
    Retail
    England
    I agree.. I'm on earlier iOS as heard stuff about all recent reports for iOS. Will update eventually though, when they fix GC. At moment, GC seems fine on the iOS I'm on.

14. murphdoch

murphdoch Member

Dec 24, 2014
    They are certainly Failing Better at this rate

:)

15. RandallPeek

RandallPeek Well-Known Member

May 21, 2014
    For those complaining about the iOS 9.1 requirement, it was their decision to go with that in order to take advantage of what the OS provides, and to ensure that it will stay viable as long as possible. It's your decision to remain at an earlier version of the OS for whatever reason. It's called an impasse. Neither side is right or wrong. It's simply how things are.

16. RandallPeek

RandallPeek Well-Known Member

May 21, 2014
    As for the IAP, the game includes an optional monthly subscription. This gets you twice as many actions, and they regenerate effectively twice as quickly. In the browser version, you see your actions used as a candle burning down. With the subscription, there were two candles. In addition, you gain access to some exclusive content. There are story arcs added each month that are available to subscribers. In addition, you can purchase Fate. Fate points will allow access to earlier exclusive stories as well as some current content that's above and beyond the free content.

Really, this isn't a game to be plowed through quickly. This is one to be savored as it spins out over weeks and months.

17. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    The game is imho confusing as hell at first, it could use a better tutorial (and I would add forced choices till you get at least your home) and you HAVE to remember to log out before closing the app if you don't want the app to reload assets every time (long and boring as hell) and more important lose your progresses (if you log out before closing the app, reloading is super fast for some reasons, no new assets, just type your email).

That said, once you start understanding how the game works and you start some real storyline (instead of repeating the same actions over and over which I did at first...probably a newbie error)...WOAH...the game really grabs you in.

The game really clicked for me when I got a home, uncovered the first cards and started some storylines, one in particular....the world feels HUGE anyway and I feel like I just scratched the surface...but I'm already pondering to be an 'exceptional friend'.
    One key thing is imho (not really clear in the app) the order of the available 'quests' in between story resets/keypoints.

If you like these kind of narrative things...keep at it a bit more, raise some stats and start an actual storyline (your own home is a good place to start, assuming you managed to understand how to get one).

I'm pretty confident they will solve the login/assets things fast anyway, which is really a bummer now (I lost a lot of progresses before reading the dev account twitter suggesting to log out, apparently they already submitted an update).

18. Wrath

Wrath Well-Known Member

May 26, 2011
    Seattle
    Considering the timers, plus the wait times for the loading screen, and not saving any of my progress - yeah, I should think taking weeks and months to get anywhere in this game won't be too much of a stretch.... Oh well, at least it was free.

19. badmanj

badmanj Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Software developer
    Reading, England
    So the timers remain even with a monthly subscription. This sucks. If this is truly a game to be savoured over weeks and months then why bother with the timers at all? Unnecessary greed in my opinion. The subscription makes sense to me and I'd gladly pay that for a great, continually evolving and growing environment. Having to wait to play even though I've subscribed, or pay some more? Nah.

I may be proven wrong but I think this game will fail on IOS unless they remove timers entirely with a subscription. Certainly they'll not get any of my money unless this happens.

20. Markson2

Markson2 Member

Apr 10, 2016
    Student
    Istanbul
    Is this require internet?