Universal Fallen London (by Failbetter Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by TouchArcade Bot, Apr 19, 2016.

1. H4nd0fg0d

H4nd0fg0d Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2010
    Oh. I feel ya bro. No biggie not being on 9.1.

2. ste86uk

ste86uk Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Sounds good and I do like these kinds of games so I'm going to try it anyway but I too am confused by the subscription. For me to agree to pay that monthly I'd have to know what I'm getting exactly.

3. spader623

spader623 Well-Known Member

Jan 18, 2014
    It says exactly what it is when you go to buy it. Before you buy it, you have the list of stuff you get, it says it's a monthly sub and you've gotta check two boxes. Also, any ideas on how to get out of the docks? A card I have took me there and uh now idk what to do...

4. cragganmore

cragganmore Member
    Patreon Bronze

Aug 30, 2012
    Is it just me, or do regenerated actions not update unless you quit and relaunch the app?

My available actions remain at 0 with "less than a minute" remaining no matter how long I wait. If, however, I force quit the app and relaunch, my available actions will be refilled correctly.

5. Vendince

Vendince Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Oct 17, 2013
    Not just you. Logging in and out of the account also works for refreshes, but it is a little annoying.

6. spader623

Jan 18, 2014
    Is anyone else having black screens after the logo? It's being uh very slow

7. eksaint

eksaint Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2015
    Not just you

8. bestkevin

bestkevin Well-Known Member

Jul 4, 2012
    Is this require internet? Is it multiplayer?

9. spader623

Jan 18, 2014
    Yes. No.

10. Repulsa

Repulsa Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2015
    This has a lot of bugs for something that has been in beta for awhile. If it wasn't unplayable for me at this time due to the having to repeat jail escape every time I open it I am sure I would love it. I can deal with my distaste for the monetization so hopefully a fix is on the way

11. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    #31 Ayjona, Apr 20, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2016
    In a very small way, it actually is. But only rarely, and briefly, and vaguely.

EDIT: Also worth mentioning is that while there are timers, no content I know of or have come across is locked behind any absolute walls, payed or otherwise.

EDIT2: And while I'm at it, here's a full but extremely succinct review that assumes previous knowledge of the web iteration of Fallen London: the only way in which this is not the ultimate and superior version of Fallen London are the quite annoying loading times. This notwithstanding, thanks to the music and the much prettier interface, this is definitively the most immersive way to Fall down to London ever.

EDIT3: Heck, let's go for full disclosure and lay it down for those with no previous experience: what yer holding in your hand is likely one of the finest interactive narrative experiences ever, and the most open-ended gamebook ever created. And one of the most well-written narratives in gaming (which might not be saying much, but in this case it really is). And one of the most unique entertainment products I've ever been entertained by.

12. ashmike3

ashmike3 Well-Known Member

May 15, 2014
    Played earlier and deleted but.....
    Ok. Second look, since you say so. Not being snarky...actually giving it another go

13. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    #33 Ayjona, Apr 20, 2016
    I think it might be worth the mental wrap-around of a second attempt. This is the kind of experience that by virtue if its nature is worth (or requires) a few extra chances.

(Do note that this is definitively not for every gaming state of mind. In many ways, it is probably one of the most narrow gaming experiences I've had - though in others, one of the broadest. And it is definitively not one of the best games I've played. But its unique nature and powerful writing is enough to merit the experience, for those who value either.)

14. Joeavery

Joeavery Active Member

Sep 27, 2009
    Midwest
    Trying to download but no dice, it's being weird... Icon doesn't even show up, it has the name but the gray placeholder icon.

15. spader623

Jan 18, 2014
    For anyone wanting it on android: http://failbettergames.us9.list-manage.com/subscribe?u=79f068d8b7e64e1e8d70ed4ff&id=ead3cb046a basically they said it's tougher and a harder market so email them showing support and they may do it.

16. gonif

gonif Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2013
    Thanks for providing all the insights, people. I'm afraid timers are an annoyance, and a monthly subscription is huge pet peeve, so I'll have to decline. But, wanted to thank you all for giving so many details to make an informed decision.

17. Almyn

Almyn Active Member

Feb 18, 2010
    Just had another 'character sync' issue, Which put my progress back a fair amount. I'm just gonna come back to this in a few days. Not much point playing at the moment if I lose my progress quite often.

It's a shame honestly. I've been looking forward to this hitting the App Store for a long time. But the app itself really isn't very good :/ Plus there's annoyingly long load times, Both initial and between choices. It's quicker just to launch the browser on my iPad at this point.

18. fabell

fabell Well-Known Member

Feb 3, 2016
    7 bucks? My Fallen London purchase page says $45 to become an Exceptional Friend. What am I missing?

19. Themagicjesus

Themagicjesus Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2012
    #39 Themagicjesus, Apr 20, 2016
    Horribly long timers ruin what could be amazing. I really enjoy this but ten minutes for one energy? Come on. And you can't even pay to just enjoy the game.

Edit: Now the game won't even load

20. spader623

Jan 18, 2014
    45 dollars? Uh... Hm. Maybe it's stuck in some 'yearly' thing? Ghoufh yeah, it's Definintly experiencing bugs and I don't love the energy requirement, but the writing alone from sunless sea is enough to keep me going.