iPhone Fairy Knights : Puzzle RPG (by WIDStudio)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by nyanpass, Jul 17, 2018.

1. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Sdorica looks like a good game and it probably is, however it's an online only game unlike this game. Once Sdorica stops making money they'll eventually shut down the servers and along with all your work and saves. Big companies as well as small companies can shut down online-only games at a moments notice. I can list so many examples. Recently Terra Battle 2 which barely even lasted at all.

Games like Fairy Knights are fully offline and even has cloud saves. In general terms, you should be able to play this game forever as long as your device can play it. That's why I support paying for premium games. As a huge Rayark fan I was really hoping Sdorica to be a paid premium game because I liked everything about it. Unfortunately it wasn't.

2. Tychaeus

Tychaeus Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2015
    I partly agree, absolutely love and try to support premium mobile games as much as possible...BUT...first, not all good things last forever and thats just a reality. Second, I really have come to love the social aspect, party cooperation, comradery, etc etc of what some online games can bring me...some SP games will just never be able to recreate such a thing....If I find a game that does that well (which is just SO increasingly hard to find it seems) I would rather enjoy it as long as the fates allow. Third, a lot of the time we are talking about a free game...so no harm no foul and even if you bought a few iap’s...they helped you enjoy the game at the time.

**Basically<——-Seems (for the most part) tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at t’all. Yis?

3. Tychaeus

Sep 23, 2015
    Lol, Law AND Ramza both...I’m WATCHING yous guises!! No, but really, if I see them posting good things about a mobile game I am usually all over it, and if it’s a game I am on the fence about I’ll just go ahead and buy if either gives good impressions. Law & Ramza...now ya know, dont abuse this beautimus powAh!

ramzarules likes this.
  4. ramzarules

ramzarules Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2014
    Greece
    thanks for the endorsement Tychaeus :)
    my personal feelings on Fairy Knights:

The puzzle aspect is very strong and satisfying when you can get it right. As a match-3-rpg guy this takes some getting used to. I would compare it to YMBAB and Long Siege -more difficult than a match3 but equally satisfying when you can chainmatch. However, i dont like the overall greyness of the board when i am used to colorful tiles.

Also, while i love the background art (charming) the character and monster designs didnt stick with me. At first i thought the characters similar to Postknight, but after the first impression they pushed me away. I cant like the character looks, and i cant engage with the monsters, a bit basic design in an otherwise colorful and detailed puzzle game.

A very strong plus is the premium /offline of this game compared to most match3s, but personally the grey matching board and the character /monster design make me not stick with this.

I will be watching for the dev’s next game though, as the fresh idea and premium games is something we need in ios gaming.

Gwarmaxx likes this.
  5. Gwarmaxx

Gwarmaxx Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    NCC 1701
    yeah, same feelings for me...

6. Tychaeus

Sep 23, 2015
    These were the same reasons I hadn’t looked further than a glance at first. I too am going to pass this time...thank god though as I have the new fighting fantasy legends, battleheart 2, and as always Valiant Force to play lol. Also playing Octopath Traveler on switch atm, and pleasantly being pulled into it more than any handheld rpg since probably Xenoblade Chronicles.

7. zeroex

zeroex Well-Known Member

May 20, 2014
    Has anyone gotten past the water temple yet? I can't get past Aquaman.

8. Misguided

Misguided Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    I don’t want to derail the thread further (apologies), but that is flat out wrong. Feel free to ask any questions in that thread, and I will be happy to answer if I can.

As for Fairy Knights, it looks quite clever. However, the flashing of the current player name is obnoxious as heck. I don’t think I could play it, honestly.

9. stubbieoz

stubbieoz Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2015
    Male
    Grey haired gamer
    NSW Australia
    That's a real shame. I was about to purchase the game after looking at the gameplay video but I only play iOS games on my big iPad Pro.
    My phone is just for phone calls.
    Oh well, I wish good luck to the dev especially because the game is being marketed as a paid game with no iaps.

10. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA

11. dbagga84

dbagga84 Well-Known Member

May 22, 2013
    I’m considering this. I always support premium iOS games because the world needs to get that it doesn’t have to be mobile versus consoles. It’s just a matter of power and what can run what, not quality. When a developer makes a legit premium game for mobile it can easily rival a console equivalent. It should be “how is the game as a game? How is the premium experience?” The same question you’d have if you played Xbox or ps or Nintendo. Again I’m speaking in terms of premium games not f2p and not “cheapy” games with iap and paywalls. I e gone on about this too long and it’s not the thread for it. I just want to know is it fun? And is it very long?

12. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    I’ve put about 6 hours into it, and I don’t think I’m close to being done. As to whether it’s fun, we’ll, I’ve about 6 hours into it, and I’m still playing, so, yeah.

Here’s my take:

* This game has one of the most engaging puzzle combat mechanics I’ve ever played. It’s fun, tactical, challenging, and very satisfying.

* There’s a surprisingly complex upgrade system, including gear, skills, and magical abilities.

* Regardless of what others have said, the art direction of the game is simple but well-realized. I find it cute (and so does my 11 year old).

* Most important, the game has a real story, with a sense of mystery, NPCs, actually personalities, and even a decent (and self-deprecating) sense of humor. This is no gatcha battler — characters matter in the game. The translation is not great, but not terrible either.

Frankly, the game is a bargain at $1.99. I’ve had more fun with it than with some full-price Switch games I’ve bought recently. This is clearly a labor of love, and should be a must buy for anyone who cares about premium gaming on mobile.

TheSilveryWolf likes this.
  13. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Just adding to what's already been said. Don't sleep on this. It really is the best puzzle/RPG hybrid since Hero Emblems. Maybe even better as far as puzzle mechanics go, but I'm early in. Seems like a 2 person project and you can tell it was made with passion.

TheSilveryWolf and L.Lawliet like this.
  14. sakara214ever

sakara214ever Well-Known Member

May 10, 2012
    Yeap! Gonna buy it tonight. Seems beautiful!

15. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    This is probably my game of the month (sorry Battleheart 2). This one just hits all the right spots. Engaging gameplay that gives you the "one more game!" feeling. Lovely characters that grow on you, along with an actually interesting story. I think the props should be given to the writer for making the the entire world fun.

The wimpy Hero who wants to go home, the clutzy girl always screwing up, then the cat the shows emotion without even speaking - they all just put a smile on my face.

Game design is also quite well made. The emotions on character's faces are bound to go unappreciated. When you go to the desert area, you can see the Hero with a tired / sweaty look on his face. When scared dialogue comes in, the expressions change, etc. Small things like in the shop, the character who is compatible with the equipment on sale will show a happy emotion. You can tell the creator put a lot of work into this game even if it looks like a small unknown game.

The game is oozing with charm. I highly recommend it!

TheSilveryWolf and arkrian like this.
  16. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Very well put — 100% agree!

17. dbagga84

dbagga84 Well-Known Member

May 22, 2013
    I played the first 2 levels. It’s been, ok. I just get frustrated since i go through to try and set up a combo and if it connects in any of 1000 ways it gets ruined. I know technically it’d be cheating but I’d like to b able to go set up the pipes THEN hit an attack or execute button in stead of it just automatically do it when they connect the right way. Actually it wouldn’t be beating if they added a timer while you did it, that way if you want you can go quick and safe with a small combo or try something more advanced within like X amount of seconds or else it executed anyways whether you’re ready. It would add a sense of strategy and intensity to the battles. Or even, if a bar on the left side in a random spot each time of the many little squares there started to slowly fill and you had to start rotating to stay ahead of it, eh nm it sounded good in my head but after I typed it out it just sounded like it belonged in a stealth game, hacking a door or something :p

18. anthony78

anthony78 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2015
    Really enjoying this so far. Find it more engaging than both Battleheart 2 and Teen Titans GO Figure personally. Very impressive for a two man team.

arkrian and L.Lawliet like this.
  19. yenrab

yenrab Member

Nov 17, 2013
    #39 yenrab, Jul 31, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2018
    I’m loving the game, cute dialog is kinda funny.

20. Unstablefan

Unstablefan Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Feb 22, 2013