Universal Faif (by Nicolas Saraintaris)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, Mar 5, 2014.

1. JubJubBird

JubJubBird Active Member

Jun 30, 2009
    Design and progression are absolutely brilliant. Love the "managed risk" take on match 5. Kudos for really thinking this through!

I second the call to speed up turns a bit. Other than that, would love to just see more items as I keep getting more silicon and starting gems to spend. Armor? +2 to attack? Freeze your opponent for a turn? Or maybe items that decrease/increase your odds of landing on skulls. There's a lot of potential for longevity as long as there's ways to get more powerful.

2. andsoitgoes

andsoitgoes Well-Known Member

I'm trying to enjoy the game, but I've now been unable to select any tiles at least 3 times in separate games, and I bought the game less than 30 minutes ago.

Here's a pic of my board, I can select NOTHING.

I had to fully quit and come back, then it worked. It's very annoying.

Attached Files:

3. Beavl

Beavl Well-Known Member

Mmm, that's odd. Could you tell us your device and iOS?

Cheers!

4. Beavl

Beavl Well-Known Member

Thanks for playing the game. And yeah, speed roll is faster when playing against multiple enemies, but maybe it is not enough. We'll look into it!

5. ste86uk

ste86uk Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Interested in this as I loved Dungeon Raid and still have it on my device I'm just not sure yet. Waiting to hear more about the game.

6. MDavis360

MDavis360 Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2012
    Seems like the boss fight at level 5 takes a jump in difficulty. The AI opponents get every lucky roll and my attacks always fail.

7. funem

funem Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2014
    Have been playing this on android and have got to level 21 it's a great game with a good twist on an old game mechanic.

8. Beavl

Beavl Well-Known Member

Hi there! Concerning progression till first boss, we are making some minor tweaks, so expect some news in this front in the next update. About AI getting lucky... you know, random ;)

Android version was a little bit easier till last release, now It's tougher getting to lvl 21. Nonetheless, congrats on that!

There are two +1 attack upgrades (unlockable with your lvl). Freeze seems a really interesting idea... we were thinking about skipping turns also. And about longetivity... yes, please! From Ludum Dare #28 original prototype to iOS/Android release, we enjoyed the ride! So we will continue working on Faif and making it better.

In other news... we've just released a new official trailer! Hope you like it!

9. Guise

Guise Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2009
    I second these statements.

10. Jake7905

Jake7905 Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2013
    #30 Jake7905, Mar 9, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2014
    Hesitated buying this at first, but the game is very good, and a good value at 2 bucks. So no regrets here. The audio/visual presentation is excellent, even if minimal in design. And though the gambling mechanics may make the game seem more based on luck then strategy (and it is), there's more depth here then you'd suspect. A rogue-like, match-5 roulette game is what it plays like to me.

11. Jake7905

Jake7905 Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2013
    The game does show you which square you've selected; when selected the corners flatten. It's just a little too subtle, I didn't even notice it at first. I agree that showing a connection would work better visually.

12. Guise

Guise Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2009
    I had this happen last night (playing on a 4S running latest iOS).
    On the plus side, I've figured out why selecting tiles sometimes doesn't seem to work. I think tiles are unable to be connected diagonally, sort of? It's hard to explain and maybe someone (developer or otherwise) can clarify. And as a previous poster noted, valid selections are highlighted in a way, where the corners fold in.

13. Beavl

Beavl Well-Known Member

We've submitted an update on Monday (Game Center integration and minor tweaks, including selection system). We've tested the new version a lot, but when out, if you guys find any problem, please let us know! (we fix the feedback button too!) This version should be up in a few days.

After this update, we are working on something reaaally special... stay tuned!

14. Guise

Guise Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2009
    Sounds excellent!

15. eyeGamer

eyeGamer Active Member

Mar 16, 2014
    If there were a different difficulty mode with a larger grid and the ability to select more than 5 options at once, it would open the game up so much.

16. laszlo_kovacs

laszlo_kovacs Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2012
    Multiplayer update! Who wants to play?

17. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    I do! Haven't been able to find ANYONE online though.

I'm really enjoying single player though!

18. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    Also, this game has an absolutely awesome soundtrack.

19. Collin

Collin Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2010
    Graphic Designer/Illustrator/Art Director
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Unless I'm the most unlucky player in the world, it's very weighted to picking the skull for the player. My first four games, even limiting it to a single freaking skull in the lineup for every move, it would land on the skull. Not so for my opponent though. Beautiful game, but it's angering me quickly.

20. laszlo_kovacs

laszlo_kovacs Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2012
    As the only Level 22 dude at last check, I can most definitely say it's random.