Facebook page is a total waste of time

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by hyptod, Aug 10, 2015.

1. hyptod

hyptod Member

Dec 14, 2010
    About 4-5 years ago we released a Flash game that required to "Like our Facebook page" for a game progression.
    (Yes, now we know that's a bad practice but it seemed like a nice idea back then.)

Anyway, we're still getting 300-500 likes a month and our Facebook page has almost 32,000 subscribers now. Real subscribers, not bots, and they're all casual gamers.

This year I tried to post a couple of games released by our friends from Nemoris Games. I also gave $5 to Facebook to "promote" one post.

Please see the attachments. First is paid - 5 clicks. The second is free - 0 clicks.

Sure, maybe we need to create more posts or improve our marketing skills. But still: 32k page brings 964 views until you pay Facebook some money. Then you'll have 5,470 views and 5 clicks.

That's just not worth it.

Attached Files:

• fb1.png
      fb1.png
      File size:
      176.4 KB
      Views:
    • fb2.png
      fb2.png
      File size:
      284.2 KB
      Views:
  2. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Yeah, we see similar things with our Facebook page. Decent stats overall, been around forever, very low interactivity without paying Facebook.

3. RareSloth

RareSloth Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

We haven't focused on our Facebook page much for these reasons. We put our game FAQ's there and players have the option to message us and complain about bugs, etc... But that's it.

E-mail subscribers are the primary focus over social media.

4. SpiritBomb Studios

SpiritBomb Studios Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2013
    Game Developer
    Saigon, Vietnam
    In earlier days, fan page is more effective to connect with your fans , but now Facebook is squeezing their algorithms so that if you don't pay money, you'll get almost zero organic reach.

5. Blackharon

Blackharon Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2010
    Game Designer for Ludia
    Canada
    Exactly this. I used to be a huge proponent for creating a Facebook Fan community... now I groan whenever we talk about adding a like us through Facebook feature.

Feud's page, with like 800,000 fans, gets 1000 interactions on a good post. And that's with a tv show supplying endless hijinks to add. I feel like an indie dev would have more luck elsewhere nowadays.

6. klink

klink 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 22, 2013
    No thank you
    USA
    I've noticed the same thing too. A couple years ago Facebook pages for a developer were lively places. Now those same places feel very static with very little participation from the public.

7. PikPok

PikPok Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Wellington
    While "not as good as it used to be" we continue to invest in Facebook as a community platform as it can be an effective space for reaching your most engaged players. However, in order to keep total interaction high you need to post frequently and you need to post unique content, so can understand it is less practical for smaller teams.

Some examples of pages in our portfolio that have high engagement relative to our needs are

Into the Dead
    https://www.facebook.com/intothedeadgame

Rival Stars Basketball
    https://www.facebook.com/RivalStarsBasketball

8. reikos

reikos Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2015
    it admin
    mexico
    those algorithms sure are evil, if you're a not paying for a long time i have noted you suddenly receive an increase in "likes" as to lure you to pay more attention to the page.