Universal F1 2016 (by The Codemasters Software Company Limited)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Kraudi2k, Nov 10, 2016.

1. EvilDucktator

EvilDucktator 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Sep 28, 2011
    Walt Disney World Cast Member
    Brisbane, Australia
    New patch sounds encouraging. How does the game play now? Playable outside of time trials? Any issues still?

2. pbb76

pbb76 Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2009
    Quick go on the new patch.

Definitely better, AI wise.

1) They still a bit 'swervy' on the track, but its not a massive issue for me considering what platform this is on and how good generally it is.

2) The big improvement is AI speed. I play on Very Hard with all assists off (bar racing line) and usually can win reasonably easy (8 lap races) in poor cars. Just tried Russia using Palmers Renault and finished 11th. Whilst I'd ideally like a lower finish for realism, its not beyond the realms of possibility and definitely better than finishing any higher. Was deinitely hard to catch the AI.

3) The AI still prone to 'farts' at times - slowing down by running along the wall, or braking too much behind other cars.... again, I'll live with it all things considered.

I'll give it some more runs later, but seems quite positive if you enjoy racing in the mid-low team cars.

I'd imagine it would still be a bit 'easy' in anything Red Bull and above...

3. TheSop

TheSop Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2016
    Help me out guys, do I buy Bully or this game? Both look insane but I can't buy both. I understand they are different games but is this game worth the money?

4. TheVimFuego

TheVimFuego Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2014
    Tough choice if you like both genres. I love my racing and this is fun but I'm playing the hell out of Bully right now having missed it the first time around.

Bully seems to really eat battery though so this may be a factor if you do most of your gaming mobile. Great games both of them.

5. ironsam80

ironsam80 Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2010
    #145 ironsam80, Dec 12, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2016
    Hmmm... Totally different games to go for a chose for you... Even Bully is from Rockstar and have a GTA vibe... has nothing at all to do with the driving spirit of the GTA series (if this could be a ''common'' factor)so is oranges and apples.
    I love both of the games and i love both of the genres, so i could put a ''special'' filter for you...
    If you have a little bit older device (like iPad Air 1 etc) i could say that Bully is more ''optimized'' for this... And on my iPad Air is not quite a battery whore... On the other hand if you like speed, legit title with official F1 licenses and official tracks... this game is for you... The last update shows to be a little bit more friendly to old devices but still you must have a cutting edge new one to fully enjoy it.....
    So if this could be a criteria take a look at your device and decide.

EDIT: Ohhh... and IMO both of the games worth the bucks on their owns...

6. TheSop

TheSop Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2016
    Thanks for the response guys, I am not a massive fan of games which drink the mobile battery, how bad does this game hit it? I am using iPhone 7.

7. pbb76

pbb76 Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2009
    Continued by career last night (Perez at Force India) and usually, on Very Hard, I've been qualifying near the front (inc a few poles) and winning the races by miles.

Last night, Spain - qualified 22nd, over 2 seconds behind 21st!!!

During the race, I got as high as 16th.

So yea, its much better! I'm going to have to drop down to 'Hard' and see how that goes.

8. TheVimFuego

Dec 7, 2014
    Battery seems reasonable to me for the quality. I'm on an iPad Pro 9.7 so was surprised at Bully heating the device up really noticeably, first game I've had that's done this.

Just tried the latest update to F1 and can report the AI is definitely improved.

9. TheSop

TheSop Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2016
    Thanks for this, think I will buy F1, don't like it when games heat up the battery, it can't do the devices battery condition any good. Plus F1 has been updated with cloud saves so am I right in saying if I delete the game or install on a new device I can carry progress over?

10. TheVimFuego

Dec 7, 2014
    A sound move if you like racers. You are right about the cloud saves in theory but some games can be problematic from my experience. Here's hoping there are no issues here.

I'm with you on excessive heat. When I can feel it through my hard case I start wondering what this is doing to my $900 portal of joy. :confused: :D

11. Admiralbison

Admiralbison Active Member

Oct 31, 2016
    No it's not.

I have RR3 and played it only a few days ago.

This is not an a reason why F1 doesn't have MFI support.

I don't get it, why is it so difficult to implement MFI controller support on so many big games.

Costs?
    Time?
    Ability?

it's like when a very common feature is requested in games like offline bots, campaigns, distinction between paid or F2P options, online independent it is deflected with slightly irrelevant points or weaksauce answers.

If it is none of the answers above then perhaps it's Publishers/devs notions of hitting the lowest common denominator of just pure touch screen users?

Which again wouldn't make sense when you can hit two birds with one stone.

Why do many games like this come out without controller support when they typically have a history for controller supports on previous platforms.

There is a controller standard that exists for iOS for 2 years now, Apple TV (new one) from the get go has it and even Android with its lack of standards by comparison is getting more controller support.

There is a lot of attention paid to the other issues of the game, but again why isn't there MFI controller suppport?

12. stelph

stelph Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Nov 16, 2016
    Honestly? I think it must be a conscious decision by the developers not to include MFI controller support - the Apple TV version has controller support and as you mention - its very easy to include MFI support in games nowerdays (manufacturers of the MFI controllers like Gamevice offer advice to devs how to do it) and its got to be the number 1 request for the app but it is not included.

I wonder if its to keep the mobile app as a "mobile" app - and not to encroach on the full "console" version that is on consoles/PC? Its a shame as to me I don'e see it as a replacement to my console version at all - instead its a version that I can enjoy when I am travelling/away from home and I would enjoy it even more if I could use a controller

13. EvilDucktator

Sep 28, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    How is the latest version?

14. EvilDucktator

Sep 28, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
  15. EvilDucktator

Sep 28, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Anyone? Worth the sale price? Have all the issues been fixed?

16. coolpepper43

coolpepper43 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Aug 31, 2012
    On the toilet
    Same here. Is this game now worth getting?

17. currymutton

currymutton Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    Full-blown racing game with real tracks and hard physics with a lot of game modes. Unless you are not into some serious racing, I guess this is a steal.