Universal F1 2016 (by The Codemasters Software Company Limited)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Kraudi2k, Nov 10, 2016.

1. currymutton

currymutton Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    Graphics wise, RR3 wins in almost any department: the bitmaps and decals in F1 look blur, the trees and road does not seem real. Both feature great drawing distance, which does not seem to feature in some 2016 titles I do not want to mention. :)

BTW, what do you think about the driving model? Should the car spin when entering a corner too high a speed? Should the car loses speed and slips when it goes off track? These cannot be found in current model.

2. Quoad

Quoad Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2015
    Yeah. I miss these. Even with all assists off, I feel a bit like I'm on rails. Contrasting starkly with my early experiences of multiple wipeouts on the mac.

That said, I should probably take note of earlier comments, and start driving a subpar car. Thumbs.

3. Dailon80

Dailon80 Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2014
    Program Director/Radio DJ
    Eos
    this is the best racing game on App Store looking forward to updates but nothing is too bad
    love the cockpit view, season mode, tilt steering which feels accurate enough, all drivers and tracks
    included, a win win and i cant believe im playing it mobile!

4. Armel

Armel Well-Known Member

May 12, 2016
    Let me laf...

When I read : best racing game off AppStore...
    Seriously, some people need very low performance to be happy...

Why developpers improved the game if people are glad ?? Please just play to new gameloft car game ( extreme something) for see what " metal graphics " mean ...

You really thing this game ( f1 2016 ) is out for the power of A10 processor ??? Please... Between iPhone 5s and iPhone 7 , the biggest difference is loading time !!

5. Jamesrooney27

Jamesrooney27 Well-Known Member

May 13, 2014
    Male
    Uk
    Yeah because gameloft games are so fun nowadays I'm being sarcastic

6. Armel

Armel Well-Known Member

May 12, 2016
    I don't play gameloft games lol but I test them ...
    Just for say I think f1 2016 is a bad joke . I had big hopes for this game ( like most of iOS gamers) , a new generation game woouuuaaaw !!! But see the finish product : just a joke , no good for eyes and gameplay very very simple even without any help ... a joke .

7. Armel

Armel Well-Known Member

May 12, 2016
    Just like a big demo for a game in still product !!

8. yasasnirmana@gmail.com

[email protected] Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2014
    YouTuber
  9. Armel

Armel Well-Known Member

May 12, 2016
    Like I said ...

This game not come out for last device ( A9 and A10 ) like apple and codemasters says before release ...

10. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    The Netherlands
    iPhone 6 Plus versus iPad Air 2

11. Admiralbison

Admiralbison Active Member

Oct 31, 2016
    Codemasters,

When are you going to add MFI controls?
    With all the issues pointed out in the comments I figure the added addition to the "ultimate control options" would significantly improve the other issues or make those problems more bearable.
    Real Racing 3 is several years old and that has several improvements, notably MFI support.

It's strange for a console port to not have that implemented, especially since control is significant for a game like this.

why is that available on Apple TV (which would be an obvious blunder if not included), but not iOS devices?

12. currymutton

currymutton Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    FYI, the last time I check RR3 support of controller is just there, but implementing it very badly. So bad it is almost unplayable with controller.

I am not saying F1 should not have one.

I would say please improve the performance on lower end devices, better car physics and fine tune the braking first.

13. stelph

stelph Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Nov 16, 2016
    iPhone 6 and iPad mini 2/retina owner here – on both play with touch controls accelerate/brake manual and no assists

I’m a massive fan of this game on PC/console and think Codemasters have done a great job here making it work well when you are out and above, although I agree some minor tweaks would make it even better.

AI – the racing AI is pretty good in my opinion, but needs to have a harder difficulty – at the start of every race on very hard from the back in a manor I can easily make up 3-4 places and often work my way up through the ranking through the race to challenge the Mercedes, interestingly I have noticed that this isn’t the case in Qualifying where my ass is always handed to me (hence starting P22) however their pace in qualifying doesn’t apply in the race

Controls – although touch controls are very good, it occasionally still has an error where I go to press the brake and its recognised as the accelerometer and I crash out, it’s a massive omission not to have the MFi option and hopefully will be added in the future

14. pbb76

pbb76 Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2009
    I reached out to the devs and they were very receptive and an update is incoming 'very soon' with improved AI (speeding them up on the harder difficulties) and also tweaks to the amount of help the game is giving the driving experience at the moment (i.e. making it less hand holdy when all assists are off).

Personally, I think the controls are more or less spot on. Of course I prefer the XBO version with all assists off, but that is using a very precise pad or wheel - for the touch screen controls, then I think its a really good idea they added in some help - but some people will want it off completely so hopefully they will be providing that.

Still, good news - absolutely loving this game and as the poster above says, generally in quali, its about right. I'm qualifying Perez around 8th-15th depending on the track.

15. pbb76

pbb76 Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2009
    Some little tips I've found.

1) Sticking to the racing line with auto acceleration on helps you maintain optimum speed. If you wander away from the line (particularly around corners), the auto acceleration will slow you down accordingly - so stick to the racing line to get the best times.

2) When braking, just tap the brakes coming into the braking zone. I do this and rarely lock up but always slow down enough. This is with all assists off (apart from racing line)

16. pbb76

pbb76 Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2009
    Tried last night with manual acceleration and that was much better than I expected! I have asked the devs if they would consider moving the buttons as its a little uncomfortable on iPad, but even so, it wasnt terrible in short bursts.

The big problem though is it made the game even easier as I was able to go quicker and qualify Perez on pole (on hardest level) which is a bit annoying.

17. AlexBi

AlexBi Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2015
    #117 AlexBi, Nov 17, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2016
    Sorry. posted for mistake

18. stelph

stelph Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Nov 16, 2016
    I already knew on the Xbox that they really try and take feedback from the community, and had done so a lot with F1 2016 including getting a lot of the more popular youtube F1 gamers to give their comments, so great to hear they are receptive to comments - Ive been posting on their official forum but no official mods are commenting there yet.

Agree with your comments on the controls, with the touchscreen wheel I am able to drive and feel completely immersed so id probably leave it as it was, its just that over longer races issues do pop up (like the game mis-reading my press for brake as an acceleration so I smash out of the race) so having the option of using a controller when i have one to hand would help with that I think - there's nothing more frustrating than going for a 25% race and then getting tangled up with 1 lap to go through no fault of your own :)

19. stelph

stelph Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Nov 16, 2016
    Yes full manual seems to be the way to go the fastest, I think the auto accelerate tends to back off if you are close to another car to stop the potential for crashes so its easier to overtake with manual, equally I find cornering a lot faster if you brake, coast and then accelerate out, as you should do in real life, rather than the game trying to constantly accelerate you at all points in the corner

20. pbb76

pbb76 Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2009
    Yep, defo found this too!